Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Commander | Patriot
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

2016 Patriot 2.4 High Altitude

next door just bought used (47k) jeep and it is draining battery overnight.. checked fuses, fuse relays, 7 of the like 21? grounding straps for them; and finally told them to take it back (under colorado lemon law) and get another, or at least a pro-rata fix with it being under even manufacturer miles/yr warranty.. Phil Long Ford in colorado springs wants nothing to do with it..

Question: on this mk/mdl, with plain jane radio (am/fm/cd), NO infotainment/navigation; does the clock display stay on at all times, after vehicle is off? dome lights go out 30sec. after ingition off, door closed; but clock on radio always on?? i didn't know if this was part of Jeep's anti-theft? GM just has pulsing red led.. this is the onlt thing i can find with a parasitic draw..

any assistant/answer(s) greatly appreciated.. thanks..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 2016 Patriot 2.4 High Altitude

Lemon law wouldn't apply until certain criteria are met and Colorado doesn't have a lemon law on used cars anyway.

Have you considered the battery has crapped out? If you are performing a full parasitic draw test and finding nothing then you may just consider the battery.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

yea, it was a dealer lease return; and they dent in and paid for all the extended warranty, etc.. had it back to either phil long?, or don penkus? wherever it got towed the 1st or second time, and they paid like another $600-800 for new batt., new alt., and supposedly a ECU/ECM re-flash?? could not re-duplicate symptom..
got it back; drove like 3 days, dead after overnight sit in garage; no alarm on..
sounds like a good deal for all that service and components; but still, on a car with less than 50k??
i did full trickle on new batt.(sticker conformed 05/21); alt. looks new, but dealer also sent it to century auto detail, so all looks new for 47k..
after batt. was topped, pulled a load test; good. alt. is putting out 15.7V,
grounds to batt., bumpers, ecm, eng-to-chassis, and hood all tightened and/or replaced..
guess it's a jeep thing; like everyone says..
just hate to keep tearing into it farther for them; if their was recourse..
thanks again,
Old 07-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

quick update on patriot energy drain:
the uConnect 130/230/and 4series have a system settings to set custom parameters;
press and hold 'setup' button to get to menu and set options,
press and hold 'tune' and 'vol' to factory reset defaults..

i still do not believe a radio (non XM, satnav, infotain console) should drain battery;
and with radio fuse pulled (#20 and #19 if amplified; fuse box not labeled, only numbered), vehicle still lost power overnight..

dodge/chrysler/jeep/eagle/fiat/daimler/whomever co-owns has a TSB (i will get that number monday; if anyone else interested) for the-
TIPM- Totally Integrated Power Module
which is directly below the fuse/relay center and battery box
(great place to put electrical, right?? near a wheel well and bumper cover for
all jeeps that off road in rough country, mud, snow, sludge; and vibration should
not affect electrical too much, right?- i digress) and they stipulate that the TIPM is
"the gateway or distribution box for nearly the entire electrical system in late-model Chrysler products. Its main purpose is to take the commands from various switches and other modules and send those commands in the form of voltage or ground to wherever it needs to go."

while i still have not located gremlin(s) in neighbor's, i gave them phone number of local dealer to call, as the TIPM -- IS covered under the jeep umbrella warranty (8yr/80K) in the 'emissions' not powertrain; IF the TIPM is faulty..
i was trying to get phone or email back from denver dealer service tech, but weekend,
so may have a test and inspect procedure for the TIPM on monday/tuesday.
thanks..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Commander | Patriot