Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RX300/RX330/Harrier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
Hetzi
AF Newbie

2003 RX300 Tire rubbing

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300 all-wheel drive. I originally had a decent set of 225/70/16 tires on it and unfortunately I made a mistake of taking it to a discount tire franchise and I originally only took it for a left front tire that was originally leaking from the inside of the bead and it only should have taken someone to pull out the tire and stuff out the beads on both sides and put the tire back on, however this franchise sold me for new tires and the original tires this vehicle were a 225/70/16, however they decided to put 235/70/16's on it instead. Unfortunately there is not a lot of room with this particular vehicle especially in the rear between the strut perch and the top of the tire and ever since they put those tires on I had tire rubbing. The problem first started with the right front tire rubbing on the perch and destroying the right front strut which I had to replace, however the rear tires are still riding on the perch, causing tire wear on the inner side of the tires as the front tire did. There is no way that the struts could be the issue because I just replaced the rear struts a year ago. I have recently found out that this particular vehicle since there is not a lot of room, it needs to be replaced with a 225/70/16. And the reason for this is because a 235 is a wider tire, and also 70% of 235 is a much taller sidewall than a 70% 235 sidewall. I have both issues of the inner parts of the tires rubbing and also the strut pearches rubbing. There's no doubt in my mind that the only tire for this vehicle is the 225. The discount franchise told me that the 235 was an alternate tire, however there can be no way that it would work. It was very evident to me like all other discount tire places, who are trying to make a quick buck could not get either get the 225 tires readily to get the car in and out as fast as possible, or the 225 tires are more expensive and would take time to order. If anyone out there has any thoughts on this issue, let me know! I have four brand new ruined tires because of the wrong tire size. I have spoken to a couple of Lexus technicians and they have also agreed with me that only a 225 should be the maximum size tire put on this vehicle.
Hetzi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
rubbing , tires
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > RX300/RX330/Harrier