Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
meporsche
AF Newbie

Replacing hydraulic locking cylinder in R171 Vario convertible top

I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 2007 SLK 280 since I purchased it a few years ago. However, I just spotted a drop of hyd fluid on the passenger seat and have determined the leak is from the locking cylinder. I have read quite a bit regarding this repair on this forum as well as Top Hydraulics material.
At this point, I am not going to rebuild all the cylinders as I do not want to do the necessary dismantling. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I lean more towards the"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp rather than the "as long as you're in there" group.
My plan is to buy a rebuilt cylinder from Top or Cabriolet Hydraulics. The former comes with two new lines while the latter is a cut and couple solution. The question I have is this:
Is there any reason why I cannot simply disconnect the two hydraulic lines to the failed locking cylinder, reconnect them to the rebuilt cylinder and be done? This seems much more practical than running new lines or cutting and reconnecting (poss of leakage). I can't come up with a good reason why I should replace the lines and the fishing/snaking required to route new lines and remove old ones has been reported by others on this forum to be a nightmare.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Darwin
meporsche is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cylinder , hydraulic , lines , top , vario
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion