Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rover > 75
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
boxergirl
AF Newbie

My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Hi,
I have been the proud owner of a 1999 Rover 75 (manual diesel) for about 6 weeks now. It drives beautifully and is generally a joy EXCEPT every now and then it just won't start. (90 percent of the time it starts first go). It is not a battery problem and a mechanic has told me he doesn't think it is the starter motor. The breakdown service tested the car's computer and said no faults were reported. On every occasion but one the car has eventually started (though on a few occasions I have had to leave it for 10 mins or so). On one occasion I flattened the battery but the next morning when I came back the car started first go.

This is unbelievably frustrating. Every time I have somewhere important to go I am filled with dread and I dare not offer to drive anyone else somewhere for fear the car won't start!

Any ideas anyone???

Yours gratefully,
Laura
boxergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
John White
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Hello Boxergirl, Our Rover 75 (Petrol 2.5) sufferred similar problems. It was frustrating because it would refuse to start at the most inconvenient time. After a wait of about 20-30 minutes it would start OK. The AA came out to it on at least four seperate occasions, were unable to get it started, then it would suddenly start while they were turning the engine over to diagnose what was wrong!
It went into our Rover main dealers, who, even when it refused to start (most times, of course, it started every time for them), they were unable to say what was wrong.
We were reduced to getting it in to the Main Dealers when it broke down, and for them to change something until the fault went away! Needless to say, it turned out to be very expensive. On the visit that finally seems to have cleared the fault, they changed the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. I hope that can be of some use for you. We are now having to come to terms with another problem which seems to be going the same way. The car overheats. They've had it in the garage three times and can find nothing wrong. They are suggesting replacing both cylinder head gaskets. Estimated cost £1500-2000!
Regards John
John White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
boxergirl
AF Newbie

Oh my gosh, you know exactly how I feel then! Every time I go to start the car (which is about 10 times a day) I am filled with dread. And you are right, it seems to chose it's recalcitrant moments for maximum discomfort!

Can you tell me how much the eventual repairs you did cost? Maybe I should take it to a Rover dealer and ask them to try that first as it sounds very very similar?!

Sorry to hear about your new problems. I'd heard negative stuff about Rovers before but didn't believe it. Now I'm starting to wonder...

thanks so much for your reply. Laura
Old 04-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
John White
AF Newbie

Hi Laura, changing the two sensors came to just over £40 for the parts + £210 Labour. I've just noticed that they also changed the Key/Unit-Immobiliser which was also a possible cause for the non starting. That cost £209 for the part alone. The Labour involved in changing that would have been part of the £210 Labour above. A friend of mine with a Clio had a similar problem and he advised me to get the sensor (I'm not sure which one) changed, but I ignored his advice for ages! So my advice would be to get the garage to quote you for replacing one or both of the two sensors first. See if they are able to test them in-situ. Hope it doesn't cost too much, regards John
John White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
bucko9
AF Newbie

Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxergirl
Oh my gosh, you know exactly how I feel then! Every time I go to start the car (which is about 10 times a day) I am filled with dread. And you are right, it seems to chose it's recalcitrant moments for maximum discomfort!

Can you tell me how much the eventual repairs you did cost? Maybe I should take it to a Rover dealer and ask them to try that first as it sounds very very similar?!

Sorry to hear about your new problems. I'd heard negative stuff about Rovers before but didn't believe it. Now I'm starting to wonder...

thanks so much for your reply. Laura
Hi Laura

I am having the same problem with my car not starting. I have been told it could be my camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor aswell.
Have you had yours repaired and if so how much did cost you?

If you have had it done has the problem now gone away?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
bucko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
boxergirl
AF Newbie

Hi, yes I have had it fixed.
The mechanic diagnosed 2 faults (using the computer) and it was indeed the camshaft sensor (he also found a fault with the glow plug but doubt that had anything to do with it not starting).
Fault diagnosis cost £60, labour £60, the glow plug relay was £36 and the cam sensor was £50. total including VAT is £241.

Maybe just ask them to change the cam sensor without doing the diagnosis and that seems like it will probably fix it.

Mine has been fine since. There has been a couple of times in the last couple of months when it has not wanted to start and I thought the problem had returned but this was only when the fuel tank was almost empty. It's never done it again while there has been a decent amount of deisel in it.

best of luck and let me know if I can be of any further help!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
bucko9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Hi, yes I have had it fixed.
The mechanic diagnosed 2 faults (using the computer) and it was indeed the camshaft sensor (he also found a fault with the glow plug but doubt that had anything to do with it not starting).
Fault diagnosis cost £60, labour £60, the glow plug relay was £36 and the cam sensor was £50. total including VAT is £241.

Maybe just ask them to change the cam sensor without doing the diagnosis and that seems like it will probably fix it.

Mine has been fine since. There has been a couple of times in the last couple of months when it has not wanted to start and I thought the problem had returned but this was only when the fuel tank was almost empty. It's never done it again while there has been a decent amount of deisel in it.

best of luck and let me know if I can be of any further help!
Hi Laura

I took your advice and went ahead and got the camshaft and cam sensor replaced and touch wood my car has been fine ever since. It is now a pleasure to use after dreading going out and getting stranded!

Thanks alot for your help
bucko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
boxergirl
AF Newbie

oh I am so pleased!

tell me, what did it cost you to get them done?

I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive...
Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
NotHappy
AF Newbie

Angry Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

"I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive..."

And I wonder how many different explanations garages can come up with once the 75 has been on "the computer". My experience (same problem but different "diagnosis") is that one can't be sure that one isn't being fed a line, especially now that Rover has all but died.

In my case, I asked if it could possibly be anything else other than "the control box" to the starter motor which is what they said "the computer" diagnosed. The man said the computer diagnosis would be correct,
although he didn't show me anything to prove it! What can one say?? All the messages here about this problem talk about faults that have not been mentioned by my garage, although the symptoms are exactly the same as those described here! I also asked him if it could be anything to do with the gears/gearbox and he said no it wouldn't be, and that it was probably just a coincidence that it started after I had moved through the gears (it is automatic by the way). We have had a problem recently with the fuel guage warning light coming on/ needle on empty even with a full tank, but that seemed to be the hot weather. The non starting problem has been getting worse over time. The garage charged me for a new battery last week, and the next day it didn't start for 10 mins as usual. When it went in for testing by "the computer", they still didn't have an explanation 24 hrs later. Then they called with this diagnoses of "the control box" having an electrical short and that this had probably damaged the starter motor saying that both would have to be replaced! How can one know for sure what "the computer" diagnoses if they don't give you a copy of the printout? We are put in the position of being prime mugs as we have to trust them. Said they would have to replace my "control box" (described as the car's "brain" - do they treat all women this way!??) AND my starter motor. I won't say how much that would cost as I suspect folk might faint with shock given what we have seen above in terms of other diagnoses and solutions. I took the car back, but was still charged £100 for the diagnosis, so altogether £170 including the replaced battery.
I am in London and have been told of 4 garages who still have a Rover franchise, I took it to one of them because I thought they would be the most reliable. Does anyone take their 75 to a reliable mechanic? if so can you tell me where they are located?
NotHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #10
boxergirl
AF Newbie

Re: Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

it's a nightmare, isn't it! well, all I can say is that what I had done (see previous posts) was a complete solution. Have had no troubles starting since and I think it sorted the other guy's problems too.

I'm in London and took my car to Halocen which is just off Holloway Road (on Camden Road), N7. They seem fine and they are authorised Rover people. Their number is 0207 607 3600. If you ask for John (he's the mechanic that fixed mine) and tell him that the girl boxer who's Rover wouldn't start sent you to him, he'll probably be able to sort you out.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:26 AM   #11
NotHappy
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Re: Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
it's a nightmare, isn't it! well, all I can say is that what I had done (see previous posts) was a complete solution. Have had no troubles starting since and I think it sorted the other guy's problems too.

I'm in London and took my car to Halocen which is just off Holloway Road (on Camden Road), N7. They seem fine and they are authorised Rover people. Their number is 0207 607 3600. If you ask for John (he's the mechanic that fixed mine) and tell him that the girl boxer who's Rover wouldn't start sent you to him, he'll probably be able to sort you out.
Really? Funny you should refer to them .....

They told me that it would cost £1200 + VAT to fix my car's faulty "brain" ("control box") *and* a new starter motor (which aforementioned faulty "brain" had "possibly" damaged).

Worse than going to the dentist!

Odd (coincidence?) don't you think?

One day's testing by their "brain" showed no faults - left out in the cold overnight and tested again by their "brain" came up with above solution.

Computers eh?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
boxergirl
AF Newbie

boy, well you HAVE been unlucky! I specifically told them what I expected the problem to be (after the reply to my post on this forum) and their computer diagnosis confirmed this (allegedly). It's just so hard to know if you're being taken for a ride isn't it!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
Bloomster2
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHappy
Really? Funny you should refer to them .....

They told me that it would cost £1200 + VAT to fix my car's faulty "brain" ("control box") *and* a new starter motor (which aforementioned faulty "brain" had "possibly" damaged).

Worse than going to the dentist!

Odd (coincidence?) don't you think?

One day's testing by their "brain" showed no faults - left out in the cold overnight and tested again by their "brain" came up with above solution.

Computers eh?
Hi NotHappy,

Any update on your problem?

My Rover 75 (2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE) has been giving problems starting since 18th Dec.
The problem is intermittent, I can go days without a problem but today, each time I started the engine it took longer each time before it would start.
the last attempt took nearly 30 mins before it started, drove for 15 mins to get home and the tried starting again once I was home.
No joy for 10 mins, after which I gave up and started reading this thread.

I need to limit the cost of fixing this if possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bloomster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
NotHappy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomster2
Hi NotHappy,

Any update on your problem?

My Rover 75 (2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE) has been giving problems starting since 18th Dec.
The problem is intermittent, I can go days without a problem but today, each time I started the engine it took longer each time before it would start.
the last attempt took nearly 30 mins before it started, drove for 15 mins to get home and the tried starting again once I was home.
No joy for 10 mins, after which I gave up and started reading this thread.

I need to limit the cost of fixing this if possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well,... I haven't managed to get back to a garage with it, but a couple of things that I do seem to help it start, although I am not sure whether it is a coincidence. I take it through all the gears, and then sometimes it starts. I am also beginning to think that it might be connected to the steering lock as when I pull the steering wheel to the left or right as I turn the ignition key, it flares into life. For two or three days it started perfectly and I thought that the problem had resolved its self, but then it came back. When I turn on the ignition and run through the gears, their is a clicking noise, as though I am trying to start the engine when it is not in 'Park' but my brother in law says that it is nothing to do with the gear sensor. I will obviously have to take it in to a garage again but am very wary. Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Bloomster2
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHappy
Well,... I haven't managed to get back to a garage with it, but a couple of things that I do seem to help it start, although I am not sure whether it is a coincidence. I take it through all the gears, and then sometimes it starts. I am also beginning to think that it might be connected to the steering lock as when I pull the steering wheel to the left or right as I turn the ignition key, it flares into life. For two or three days it started perfectly and I thought that the problem had resolved its self, but then it came back. When I turn on the ignition and run through the gears, their is a clicking noise, as though I am trying to start the engine when it is not in 'Park' but my brother in law says that it is nothing to do with the gear sensor. I will obviously have to take it in to a garage again but am very wary. Hope this helps
My car has been in a local garage today, I know the guy who owns it
(I used to work with his father, makes me feel old saying that).
He tells me that the diagnostics reported 3 faults, power steering sensor, cam sensor and one other that he didn't mention.
He cleared the faults and ran the diagnostics again.
This time only the power steering sensor indicated a fault, which as he stated would have nothing to do with the starting problem.
This was lunchtime, he was going to try starting the car as often as possible during the afternoon to see if the other faults would reappear.
My experience would make me expect these faults will not show whilst the car continues to start (been fine since Tuesday when I booked it in the garage).
If the faults don't show again, he suggests I take the car back until I get the problem again then return to the garage to have the diagnostics run again.
I didn't get a chance to ring him this afternoon to find out how it went, I will ring in the morning and post an update for everyone.

Further update on this saga.
Mt friendly car doctor tried all Thursday afternoon to replicate the starting problem without success.
I collected the car Friday morning and used it as normal, it started 5 times without problem, on the 6th attempt to use the car it would not start.
I have arranged for it to go back to the garage Monday morning and have the diagnostics run again to see if the cam sensor shows a fault.
If so the cam sensor will be changed monday.
I will report what happens early next week.

Last edited by Bloomster2; 01-08-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Bloomster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rover > 75