Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
C5Z06
AF Newbie

Fuel tank pressure sensor

I have the code P0453 set and believe I need to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. I have the part and want to know if this part can be replaced without removing the fuel tank. There is a video on youtube that shows replacing the part by lowering the tank with a transmission jack after the straps have been removed. Does anyone have experience with replacing the sensor by touch and feel maybe using mirrors to see what you are doing? It might be possible to cut a hole in the bed and patch it later but that seems pretty time consuming too. Any info. or ideas?

Thanks,
Fred
C5Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
C5Z06
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel tank pressure sensor

My truck is a 1999 GMC Sierra SLT with the 5.3L engine extended cab 4 wheel drive. I was able to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor without dropping the fuel tank. I have a 4 post lift which helped me figure out how to get at it. I dropped the drive shaft at the rear but didn't remove it and held it off to the side with a rubber strap. I was able to see the sensor once I got the right height support to stand on. You can pull it out by hand and pry with a thin blade screwdriver if necessary. I left it connected so I could grab the connector and swap it to the new sensor. The job could be done in 1 hour if the drive shaft comes down without problems. I had to soak the u joint bearing caps to get it to release and move forward toward the trans. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem. ;-)
C5Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra