Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #61
1g1yy
AF Regular

I think the Camaro and Firebird names will be back in about three years -- the names have too much draw for GM not to bring them back.

With the GTO I believe GM thought they would attract a wider market if the styling did not have too much of the "boy racer" look, hence the bland styling. With it's positioning in the market price wise, they thought they needed to also attract the sophisticated buyer -- not just muscle car fans. And for a first year effort they did not want to spend the money to make many changes to the Monaro. I think, in a sense, they wanted to test the waters, before offering more exciting variations. The new GTO has some very serious potential!! Hopefully the Camaro and Bird will be back soon, and the GTO will sell well -- we can never have too many cars to choose from!
1g1yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #62
RavagePenguin
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavagePenguin Send a message via MSN to RavagePenguin Send a message via Yahoo to RavagePenguin
Re: 2004 Gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1g1yy
I think the Camaro and Firebird names will be back in about three years -- the names have too much draw for GM not to bring them back.

With the GTO I believe GM thought they would attract a wider market if the styling did not have too much of the "boy racer" look, hence the bland styling. With it's positioning in the market price wise, they thought they needed to also attract the sophisticated buyer -- not just muscle car fans. And for a first year effort they did not want to spend the money to make many changes to the Monaro. I think, in a sense, they wanted to test the waters, before offering more exciting variations. The new GTO has some very serious potential!! Hopefully the Camaro and Bird will be back soon, and the GTO will sell well -- we can never have too many cars to choose from!
Plus Pontiac sticking with the orginal recipe. Make it look like a regular Pontiac but put power to it. Look at the Tempest in 1964. Thats all the GTO was just it was upgraded for high performance.
RavagePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:45 AM   #63
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

2004 Gto

I think this car could have used just a bit more thinking and creativity, but in general it's alright for a newer product of GM, and as to bringing back the F-Body I say yes yes yes. If you would like to help bring it back just visit my site and print out this form and send it in http://hp-car.com/camaro.pdf
dcatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:58 AM   #64
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2004 Gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirddman
i think that the only way people get the muscle that they want is to do it themself, inexpensive factory muscle is going awayand that makes me sad
Oh I don't know if it's going away, Ford still has a 300 and some odd hp Mustang, and GM has a 405 HP Corvette, and Dodge has the Viper rated at 650 HP from the factory, so I don't know if it's going away, but it's certainly not looking as good as it did.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:29 PM   #65
RavagePenguin
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavagePenguin Send a message via MSN to RavagePenguin Send a message via Yahoo to RavagePenguin

but the Viper is way outta price range. It's 83,000 for the bottom of the line. By the way Viper has 500 horse
Old 06-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #66
redgtosamurai
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavagePenguin
but the Viper is way outta price range. It's 83,000 for the bottom of the line. By the way Viper has 500 horse
Muscle is still fairly cheap! My GTO only cost me $33,495 and even though most non-owners claim it's bland looking, we owners love the hell outta this car!

AEDC GTO Assault Team
GM Power GTO Forum
Judge Dredd
Check Out My 2004 GTO!
redgtosamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #67
73455transam
AF Regular

Is good to see a new 2 door RWD come from GM, but not I the expense of the Firebird. The Firebird is the best car ever made. I read in a Hemmings that GM stopped Firebird production because they wanted to close the Canadian plant that made them. During negotetions(how do you spell that?)they made an agreement with the workers that they wouldn't make the cars any where else. Hope there is a better reason than that!
73455transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #68
1g1yy
AF Regular

The Firebird is the best car ever made!!??
You have never owned one have you?
Old 06-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #69
73455transam
AF Regular

Mabye not the Firebird but the Firebird Trans Am is.
73455transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:56 AM   #70
1g1yy
AF Regular

Maybe the newer ones -- a BIG maybe! I have owned a '75 and an '88 GTA -- both by far about the worst cars I have ever owned, especially the '88 GTA. The only car I have owned that was worse was a '72 Fiat 124. The build quality on the older Pontiacs is terrible! And I have owned many Pontiacs. But never again -- after I got rid of the '88 GTA in '92 I swore I would NEVER own another Pontiac! Of-course I may change my mind depending on what they do with the GTO over the next few years -- and I don't consider it a Pontiac anyway!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #71
koeb$
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to koeb$

hahha my 88 gta runs lik a top its sux taht u have a bad experience, and my 84 b4 the motor swap was all original wit 146k n i still have 340+hp on the stock lock up 350 tranny
electric exhaust cut out
holley 600 cfm carb
340+HP
cam?

97 jetta
white 15" bbs wheels
2 JL 12W3's and 2 JL 500/1 amps (for sale)
koeb$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #72
RavagePenguin
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1g1yy
Maybe the newer ones -- a BIG maybe! I have owned a '75 and an '88 GTA -- both by far about the worst cars I have ever owned, especially the '88 GTA. The only car I have owned that was worse was a '72 Fiat 124. The build quality on the older Pontiacs is terrible! And I have owned many Pontiacs. But never again -- after I got rid of the '88 GTA in '92 I swore I would NEVER own another Pontiac! Of-course I may change my mind depending on what they do with the GTO over the next few years -- and I don't consider it a Pontiac anyway!
Well depends how hard the person was on the car that owned it before you. Or it could be just a lemon. But I own a 1975 Trans Am the only defects on it is that it has a 71 nose, 301 engine(Not original) and some rust. For the engine not being that great actually is a reliable good performing engine. The engine didn't even come out of a Trans Am or a Firebird. It came out of another Pontiac. I do got to say it does have good fuel economy for a old V8. I think you have just had a bad expierance. Don't Judge all Pontiacs that there crappy. It may be just the car or maybe just a lemon or a old owner that was really hard on the car