Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
magnumtoy
AF Newbie

Timing Adjust B2600i

I think the timing is off on my truck, runs sort of ruff when starting out at lower rpms. (I;ve already replaced recently the plugs, dist cap/rotor, plug wires, air filter.) Once I get up higher rpm, it seems fine. I went to check the timing and the timing marks are tough to read. I see "TDC" and then like five marks on either side. (the spec is 5 deg. btdc) At the third mark on each side I think I see a "5". Or iss that 5 supposed to be a "3" or is it really a "5" at the third hash mark?

Also, I cannot find the timing mark on crankshaft pulley? I "step" it around by cranking but can't see anything definite. Where exactly is it? Thought maybe I saw a small nick in the top edge of the pulley flange, so I marked it and the "5" I saw on the timing bracket, hooked up the timing light. I grounded the test connector the manual told me to and fired the light.... I intermittently saw the two marks (nowhere near lined up), I mean intermittently like once every 10 -15 seconds, revved engine a couple times for whatever, and the mark on the pulley is just gone. It didn't come back at all.

So my questions:
1. Where is the "5" on the bracket?
2. Where is the timing mark on the pulley?
3. (I'm following a crappie Haynes manual) If timing is off, I can just loosen brkt for distributor and rotate it to correct it, yes?
4. Does the timing chain have anything to do with what I'm trying to do.

Thanks guys. This is my first attempt at timing adjust on anything.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Kyrasis6
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kyrasis6
Re: Timing Adjust B2600i

Umm, the timing mark should be somewhere on the edge of the pulley.

Yes, to adjust the Ignition Timing all you do is loosen the bolt on the distributor and move it forward or backward until it is at the right timing you want.

The chain has to do with cam timing although if your cam timing is off your ignition timing will also be off.

With a cheap timing light your only going to see the mark at idle, when you rev it the timing will advance past what you can see, but when it comes back down to idle you should be able to see it again. Try reaching down there and scrubbing the edge with a tooth brush, the mark should be indented a little bit into the metal. When you find it give it a good clean and mark it with a white out pen. It should practically blind you then.

R u sure it's not just needing a good tune up?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter