Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Thing
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
youngkia1
Authorized Kia Vendor

Re: VW Things!! Yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post
Its not a state requirement that is the problem. If you try to bring a VW Thing made for Mexican use into the U.S. - you will have a difficult time to say the least. At the border it will have to be inspected by federal authorities to see if it met all of the D.O.T. requirement for automobiles as of the year it was built. As far as I know a Mexican 'Thing' wont. My experience is that they refuse to let you take it any further into the U.S. than the customs shed. You would have to learn what is needed to modify it, and have evidence of all the changes having been made; or to convince the authorities (feds, not just the state) that you would never use it on American roads.
In Mexico there were sporty looking little air cooled VWs called Brazilias, that looked somewhat like a type 4 VW, but nicer and smaller overall. Here is the URL for a picture: http://shop1.bravehost.com/galleria.html
I am still hoping to bring one of these Brazilias into Texas someday, but so far I havent been able to establish that ANY amount of reworking would let it meet the DOT requirements for highway use. I would be glad to hear from anyone who has done so.

Correct I'm agree.. And "If ever" you will have the chance to bring your VW made for Mexican use into the U.S. it will cost you a lot.. So need to think it also the expenses... It's not practical as well..
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Franco2112
AF Regular

Yea, buying south is a headache. Emission standards and DOT standards are the road blocks. Unless it's a really rare vehicle you're trying to import it's not worth the time.
Franco
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
youngkia1
Authorized Kia Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2112 View Post
Yea, buying south is a headache. Emission standards and DOT standards are the road blocks. Unless it's a really rare vehicle you're trying to import it's not worth the time.
Franco

And aside from that... Some of the VW parts are very hard to find in some places.. What if you got that model where in spare parts are very hard to find? It will give a you heck in the future...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Franco2112
AF Regular

Unless it's a really rare car to invest in I'd rather invest in some of the newer retro cars out right now. The new Camaro is hot. In 2011 they will come out with a new motor with more horsepower. I believe 500 of them. Grrrrr! Price tag is over $40,000, but if you hold to it for 5 years with minimal miles you can gain about $20,000 or more. They will be in limited supply.
Franco
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Thing