Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
Kirium
AF Newbie

Chrome road car on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....935394663&rd=1

Size unknown... looks to be 1:43.
Kirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
It's actually 1/18th scale, not 1/43rd.

I believe it was put out by a company called Gwilo and it is based on the Maisto 1/18th scale McLaren F1. Quality on the Maisto cars is decent, but nothing compared to the UT McLarens in that scale. You still get the same crappy Maisto interior that doesn't even have floor-hinged pedals.

The real problem I have with the basic Maisto car - and it's hard to know who's fault it was - is that it was obviously developed using one of the early McLaren XP F1s prior to all the final design details of the car being settled. It's taillight section is odd - having the two inner-most lights covered by the grillework. The nose piece is also not production-accurate as the openings are misshaped and dont have the smaller sections towards the center. The rear engine cover is inaccurate, as well as the rear bumper when compared to a production F1. The problems are excusable given that they released their car at almost the same time as the production F1s started being delivered, but its still a bit disappointing. They still managed to do better than Guiloy, but that's a story for another time.

For reference, the Maisto F1s normally sell for around $40.00 so the price of this chrome version should seem a bit outrageous right now. Sure, it comes on a wooden base, has a certificate of authenticity and a polishing cloth to go with it, but does it really justify such a higher price? I have never thought so, but apparently many other people do as this isn't the first time I have seen the price of one get so high. If I were to find one in the $60.00 range, I might consider adding it to my diecast collection, but I really can't see paying much more than that. It's not even a rare piece, as a new one normally pops up on Ebay every other week or so.

Finally - and this is probably my biggest gripe about the thing - I actually find it rather silly they have made a chrome model of a car built from carbon fiber - you can't chrome carbon fiber, you can only chrome metal surfaces.

Anyway - that's my

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
ArchangelGTR
AF Regular

There is a new multi-step paint process that BBS has made famous called Plasma. It looks very much like chrome but more durable.

There were several vehicles at SEMA with this type of paint job.

I personally think the chrome model is unique because of the chrome. And actually like the whole kit because of the extra items that come with it such as the plinth, polishing cloth and F1 booklet. Which should have some decent line drawings of the F1.

Regards
ArchangelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Thorst13
AF Enthusiast

Dream on!
That piece ain't worth much.
Trust me, I got two of them.
Don't make the same mistake I did several years back!
Thorst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
ArchangelGTR
AF Regular

Well thanks for the heads up Thorst. Had bid on it before and lost. Had a chrome one in my collection without the plinth and booklet. Didn't pay much for it back then since people weren't into collecting McLaren stuff.
ArchangelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
a5678
AF Regular

Re: Chrome road car on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25
For reference, the Maisto F1s normally sell for around $40.00...................
Wow. I now appreciate it much more that the man at the library gave me his Maisto model for free .
a5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Just to clarify, that $40 estimate would be for one still new in it's original box with no damage.

You still got a hell of a deal though.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 AM   #8
a5678
AF Regular

Re: Chrome road car on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Just to clarify, that $40 estimate would be for one still new in it's original box with no damage.

You still got a hell of a deal though.

>8^)
ER
I thought so. But yeah, nothing beats free.
a5678 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1