Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
KennyWasTaken
AF Newbie

Advice on starting first restoration

Hi everyone,
Looking for some advice on starting my first restoration project. Definitely want to start with a muscle car of the 60's (67' Mustang, 69' Camaro, 70' Chevelle- the usual basically) but not sure whether to go for a somewhat original restoration with original engine/transmission, etc. or to go for a restomod approach with a newer more modern engine and just newer parts in general.
I am in Australia so finding cars and parts is a little harder so would it be easier to just import a car and parts from the US?
Are the newer crate engines easy to work on and would it be worth then to get newer suspension components?
And lastly, are manual swaps easy to take on as there are a lot of Mustang's for sale but they all have 3-speed auto's and frankly a manual is a must for me...
Also as a side note, I'm an 18-year-old uni student so this isn't a project that I'm going to get done in a couple of months as some people can, I'm in it for the long haul and want this to be a crowning jewel of sorts, so I don't want to rush it or take the cheapest options.
Cheers for the advice in advance!
KennyWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
richmond5020
AF Newbie

Re: Advice on starting first restoration

So I am new to restoration as well. found your post. Did you ever obtain a car? So I am picking up my 66 mustang Sunday. I am also looking on the basic where to start.
richmond5020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Ghostrider 67
AF Newbie

Re: Advice on starting first restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5020 View Post
So I am new to restoration as well. found your post. Did you ever obtain a car? So I am picking up my 66 mustang Sunday. I am also looking on the basic where to start.
Well, that's a loaded question. It depends on several factors, like, what is the condition of this Mustang? What do you plan for it to "Be" when restored? What direction are you headed in for this car. Is it a frame off, rotisserie, 100% factory correct resto? Is it a resto mod day two sort of deal? Just going to freshen it up to be a daily driver?

All of these options have some commonalities. You will need to assess the damages if any to the body sheet metal. Since it's a 1960's Mustang to rear frame rails and trunk drop offs will most likely need attention as this is the most common rotting out location. Going stock with interior or custom? Is the paint in good nik or does it need a respray?

Are you going to do the work yourself? If so do you already possess the mad skills you will need to address every area of the resto from welding, fabrication, painting, metal work, interior work, electrical, computers, engine diagnosis and assembly, drive train and suspension? Do you have the real estate to disassemble a car? Tools and equipment?

Answer these questions and I will be glad to help you get a good handle on starting your project.

Ghost. Owner of The Yankee Express. 1967 Dodge Coronet 500 restomod.
Ghostrider 67 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars