Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
LUKECIFER
AF Newbie

Brake questions

i had to replace rotors, calipers and pads. when i pulled off caliper an anti rattle clip fell out and i do not know how new one is supposed to go in. the instuctions that came with the parts had no pictures and i am at a loss as to how it clips on to anything, also i was told to replace the copper rings on the brake line bolt but the old ones will not come off. do i just stack the new ones on the old ones?
LUKECIFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Brake questions

First of all, we need: year, make, model, 2 or 4 wheel drive, front or rear brakes. If you can post a picture of the clip, we can tell you where it goes. The old copper washers must be removed. Carefully use a small screwdriver to remove them. Before bleeding the system, make sure you gravity bleed the calipers before pumping the pedal. Don't let the master cylinder go dry. This is very important especially if you have ABS brakes.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
LUKECIFER
AF Newbie

its a 97 chevy blazer 4wd and its just the front ones im workin on, i think i just bought pads that already have the clips on them. i would post a pic but i cant find a camera right now. and how do you gravity bleed the calipers? regular bleeding wont do?
LUKECIFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

the anti-rattle clips mounts on the caliper & is separate from the brake pad set you got from your parts store...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=582779

why i do one side at a time so i can reference it when i run into that problem

Quote:
lubricate them on the outside (any part that will have the pads riding on them). The idea is to help the pads slide in and out when installed.
if you google "gravity bleeding of the brake system"...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1066024

that's one...
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

To gravity bleed, do not pump the pedal before bleeding. Remove the master cylinder cover, fill to proper level with the proper type of brake fluid and leave the cover off. Open one bleeder valve. New or rebuilt calipers may take a minute or two before the fluid starts to flow out of the bleeder valve. Allow the fluid to flow until no bubbles come out of the bleeder, usually takes another minute or so. Close the bleeder and repeat the process on the other side and then close the bleeder. Make sure to keep the master cylinder full at all times during the process. After the gravity bleed is done, have an assistant pump the pedal slowly a couple of times until the pedal is firm, then hold constant pressure. While pressure is applied to the pedal, slowly open the bleeder, then close it. Repeat until no bubbles appear when opening the bleeder. Repeat on the other side, fill and cover the master cylinder....done.

If the vehicle has ABS, make absolutely sure the master cylinder does not run dry. If it does, it will require an ABS capable scan tool to manually open the solenoids in the ABS unit to bleed the system.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
anti-rattle , blazer , brakes , clip
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis