Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Problem Removing Knock Sensor - Help Please

Oh, boy. Got a real problem here. Trying to remove/replace a faulty aftermarket Knock Sensor. It is only 4 years old, AutoZone Duralast house brand.
I am turning the 22MM socket, but it seems the crimped-on top piece of the sensor (with the hex on it) is just turning in the lower body of the unit. It is not coming loose. (ANOTHER reason to use ONLY GM parts for this job!).
The KS sits in a well that is a few inches deep, and there is almost NO room around the outside of the KS body, very little clearance, I can't think of any tool I can use on the OD of the body to try and turn it. This thing was only torqued to 10 foot-pounds, and there is no sign of corrosion in the well, so I would think it would come out fairly easily..
Anyone got any ideas on how I can get this thing out? I suppose I could try tapping on a chisel, on the upper/outer edge? Or, if I were to somehow destroy the sensor by ripping thew top part of it off, is there anything inside it that I might be able to dig into and turn it with a large screwdriver?
Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks in advance, -Jim.

[IMG]Knock Sensor in engine by ChevelleSS454, on Flickr[/IMG]
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).

Last edited by Ol'Jim; 11-18-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add photo
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Re: Problem Removing Knock Sensor - Help Please

Think I am going to try drilling a pair of holes straight down through the top and body of the KS, and run some screws down through to lock the 2 pieces together, and try using the socket again to turn the unit.
I have no idea what the inside of these things looks like, but unless anyone has another idea, I don't know what else to try.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Old 11-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

That did the trick. 9/64" drill straight down at the outer edge of the top, where it meets the crimp. Then ran a 1" long #10 machine screw down into the hole. the panhead was fairly tight to the 22mm hex on the sensor, so if you ever have to do this, make sure to drill out along the edge, where a flat of the hex is, to give you some room for the screw head. Tightened it down as far as it would go to allow the 22mm socket to go over the hex.
[IMG]Old KS by ChevelleSS454, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

RockAuto.com - GM/AC-Delco Knock Sensors $41 each. Postage for 2 was like $3. Delivered in 2-3 days. AutoZone, O'Reilly and everyone else sells chinese junk units for $55-65 each.
Their lifetime warranty don't help much when you gotta do a 3-4 hour job all over again.
My original GM units - One failed at over 200,000 miles, the other still good at 278,000. Changed the defective A-zone part that lasted less than 40K miles, (and the other factory one, just because). Also - ALWAYS replace the pigtail/harness while you are in there! These sensors work at very small milli-volt signal levels, so don't chance it using a corroded old harness. Plan ahead and get your parts before you start the job. Most stores don't stock the harness.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

it would be good to show the removal of this sensor that refused to unscrew.
so after you removed the sensor was the sensor metal reacting with the intake manifold ?

many had problems with after market KS on these . it is very important that the sensor output is with in the GM spec.. this if too high or low can cause issues not just a CEL...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
it would be good to show the removal of this sensor that refused to unscrew.
so after you removed the sensor was the sensor metal reacting with the intake manifold ?
J Cat, I did post a picture of the bad one, after I removed it. In the last picture I added, you can see the screw head on the top of the sensor body. You can also see the threads of the stud, and there was no visible corrosion. But there was a dark substance between the threads, and the tapped hole had some in it's threads. Maybe it was some type of corrosion, I thought perhaps it was from the poor plating that they coated that Autozone unit with.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I saw the picture link now .. that KS crimp on some after market KS is a problem... the OEM are much stronger.. on my 96 Impala I remove the 2 KS on the block drain ports every 4yrs but I do use Teflon paste of a very small amount because many have had removal issues since these are exposed to the rust belt road salts..

Teflon paste amount is very small coating like paint ... keeps threads from damage .. I also put a small dab of dielectric grease in the connector boot..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado