Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #16
redly1
AF Regular

Re: Overhead console

I installed an overhead console with DIC from an 00 Montana today in my 03 Montana today. damn that was easy...thanks for the idea
redly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 AM   #17
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Multifunction Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redly1
I installed an overhead console with DIC from an 00 Montana today in my 03 Montana today. damn that was easy...thanks for the idea
Got an extra switch you want to unload? (The one that controls the rear windows?)
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
redly1
AF Regular

I have the remaining small console with power sliding door, sliding door disable, power window, and lights switches. It looks like the switch panel can be accessed by removing some clips on the back.

e-mail me if you are interested (email link in profile)
Old 06-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #19
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Plus, they're quite easy to find on e-bay, for $20.00 - $30.00.

Yves.
ypelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
redly1
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypelchat
Plus, they're quite easy to find on e-bay, for $20.00 - $30.00.

Yves.
yep, that's where I got mine

Where's the cheapest place to get the thermistor (temp sensor)?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #21
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
yep, that's where I got mine

Where's the cheapest place to get the thermistor (temp sensor)?
You may check with your local GM dealer. The outside air temperature sensor sells for less that $10.00.

Yves.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #22
cdru
AF Enthusiast

I've checked at several aftermarket autoshops (Advanced, Autozone, etc) and none carry the outside temp sensor (at least that they can find). At $10 at the dealer, it's not exactly breaking the bank.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #23
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Just did it!

Quote:

...Next:
If you look carefully, you will find that there is an unused connector, near the windshield washer tank. This connector will be used for the outside temperature sensor. However, in my 2001 Venture, there's an extra wiring harness extension that needs to be purchased (about two feet long). You will need this wiring extension to be able to install the outside temperature sensor to the right place. So you will have to purchase the sensor itself (about $10.00) and the wiring extension harness (about $12.00). Maybe this extra wiring harness is already there on the Pontiac Montana, but in my 2001 Venture, it's not there, so I had to purchase it....
Yves.
I got an overhead console with the options I need (OnStar, Switch for rear windows) from eBay, plus it came with the "HomeLink" and the Driver Information Center too. Took a couple hours to get swapped because of my large hands and small space to work between the roof and headliner.

Now for the question:
Does anyone have the part number (GM or AC/Delco) of that "Wiring Extension Harness"?

I found the connector near the windshield washer tank, but of course there is no extension cable.

Oh yeah, I put a thermister from Radio Shack in the connector near the washer tank and I get a reading on the display (instead of OC). I don't think the reading is accurate (seems a bit high), but at least I know I have the right connector. I will get the GM Temperature Sensor from a dealer on Monday and would like to get the right cable to connect it.

I also noticed that the connector near the washer tank is a 3-pin connector (with only 2 pins used) and the diagram for the Temp Sensor connector shows only 2 pins! Is this right?

Thanks is advance,
Old 06-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #24
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Just did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
I got an overhead console with the options I need (OnStar, Switch for rear windows) from eBay, plus it came with the "HomeLink" and the Driver Information Center too. Took a couple hours to get swapped because of my large hands and small space to work between the roof and headliner.

Now for the question:
Does anyone have the part number (GM or AC/Delco) of that "Wiring Extension Harness"?

I found the connector near the windshield washer tank, but of course there is no extension cable.

Oh yeah, I put a thermister from Radio Shack in the connector near the washer tank and I get a reading on the display (instead of OC). I don't think the reading is accurate (seems a bit high), but at least I know I have the right connector. I will get the GM Temperature Sensor from a dealer on Monday and would like to get the right cable to connect it.

I also noticed that the connector near the washer tank is a 3-pin connector (with only 2 pins used) and the diagram for the Temp Sensor connector shows only 2 pins! Is this right?

Thanks is advance,

Follow-up:

While i was in the process of installing my overhead console, I went to my dealership to order the harness extension cable i needed, for the outside air temperature sensor, and was told by the parts guy that the part number I needed was: 15354054 WRONG When the cable arrived, i found out that it had the right length, but both connectors were wrong. Obviously, the parts guy ordered the wrong harness extension cable, or ordered one not for a 2001 Venture.

So, since i was not willing to wait another week to get the right harness cable extension (sorry, i forgot to ask for the right part #) I said to myself: to hell with the connectors... I ended up cutting the connectors at both ends of the harness extension cable and also removed the connector near the windshield washer tank, and soldered everything directly. I also soldered the sensor itself to the harness extension (and packed the thing with silicone caulking to prevent water from entering the sensor).

It took me about 10 minutes to solder the cables and the sensor itself. It works perfectly. (with the cables soldered, i won't have to worry about the cable connectors oxydizing in the future, which is a known cause of false readings by the sensor)

If you choose to do this, don't forget to put heat shrink tubing strips over each wires on the windshield washer tank side.

So.... if the GM parts guy tells you that you need 15354054, just tell him it's not the right harness extension. It doesn't have the right connectors. Maybe 15354054 is used in another year vehicle, but certainly not for the 2001 Venture.

You're right Greg, thats the right connector. It's a 3 pin connector, but with only two wire attached to it.

Yves.

Last edited by ypelchat; 06-28-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:16 AM   #25
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Job Complete - Almost!

Quote:
Follow-up:
... I ended up cutting the connectors at both ends of the harness extension cable ....
It took me about 10 minutes to solder the cables and the sensor itself. It works perfectly. (with the cables soldered, i won't have to worry about the cable connectors oxydizing in the future, which is a known cause of false readings by the sensor)

If you choose to do this, don't forget to put heat shrink tubing strips over each wires on the washer bowl side.

So.... if the parts guy tells you that you need 15354054, just tell him it's not the right harness extension. It wont fit. Maybe it's used for another year, but certainly not for the 2001 Venture.

You're right Greg, thats the right connector. It's a 3 pin connector, but with only two wire attached to it.

Yves.
Yves,
Thanks for the input. Once I saw that 3-pin connector and the sensor with a 2-pin connector, I knew there was going to be trouble.

I took your advice and removed the old connector and soldered into the line. And thanks for the tip about the shrink tubing - taping those wires would have been a real pain.

If you want to see the whole story, including pictures & Part Numbers, you can visit the links below.

Thanks again!

Install Outside Temperature Sensor

Replace Overhead Console

Take Care,

Last edited by GregA; 09-23-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #26
98venture100
AF Newbie

Re: Job Complete - Almost!

If you want to see the whole story, including pictures & Part Numbers, you can visit the links below.

Thanks again!

Install Outside Temperature Sensor

Replace Overhead Console

Take Care,[/quote]

Hello everyone, I've been going these threads and it's very informative. I had bought a overhead console from the junkyard from a 98 Pontiac Montana, I tried to put it into my '98 Venture. I couldn't find the harness for the DIC display anywhere, I looked all over the top of the headliner. I see the connector for the temperature sensor in front of the radiator, so I'm thinking if that's there then the harness has to be somewhere. Because I didn't see the wires for the temp. sensor in the console area. If anyone has a diagram or know if the harness is there, that would be great.

Thanks,
98venture100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #27
ypelchat
AF Newbie

I dunno about the 98 Venture, but I do know the wires are there in the 2001 Venture.

I think i have seen, somewhere, that the DIC wiring harness could be missing in the case of the "Value" model without the anti-lock brake option and without the side airbag option. I'm not sure about this, though.

Have you tried to look over the headliner very carefully, using a small mirror, and with a friend holding a small flash light over the headliner, so that you can see clearly? Sometimes, the DIC connector is entirely covered (like mine was) with tape so you dont see it. Try to reach over the headliner with your hands, and look over the passenger's side, as well as over the driver's side. My DIC connector was taped over the passenger's side, and others had theirs taped over the driver's side.

Good luck.

Yves.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #28
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Doing a search on E-bay, today (07-29-2005), and I found that at least 10 overhead console are actually available. So if you were looking into adding this commodity to your vehicle, now is the time. Hurry-up. They're cheap, like $24.95 + shipping.

Yves.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #29
98venture100
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overhead console

[quote=ypelchat]I dunno about the 98 Venture, but I do know the wires are there in the 2001 Venture.

Thanks for the info, I'll go look again. My Venture is the LS short wheel base, and it has those options, it doesn't have rear AC though. My guess is the harness has to be there, because the temp. sensor connector is in front of the radiator. The next thing I was going to do was follow those wires and see where it ends up.

Thanks,
98venture100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #30
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98venture100
My guess is the harness has to be there, because the temp. sensor connector is in front of the radiator. The next thing I was going to do was follow those wires and see where it ends up.

Thanks,
I guess I didn't take a wide enough picture of where the "extension connector" was (the violet colored one on this page).

I believe if you trace the wires from in front of the radiator, you will find that connector between the battery and the front of the windshield washer fluid tank - right at the bottom. It was kind of a pain to find it the first time.

If you have both halves of that connector (to the radiator and toward the inside), I would assume the wiring is there (up in the headliner). Keep looking and feeling around.

Also, when I did mine, I said the DIC connector was taped down to the headliner. What I didn't say is that it was REALLY TAPED DOWN. I had my hand in there for a good 2 or 3 minutes trying to get it loose from the headliner. I finally had to use a long screwdriver to "gently" pry the tape loose.

Let us know how it goes,

Last edited by GregA; 09-23-2005 at 05:12 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture