Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2000 Ford windstar Not starting.. Replaced the ecm 3 times got it to start then it stopped again after 3 days.. NEED HELP!!

My 2000 Ford windstar won't start. I have replaced the ecm 3 times and every time i replaced it the van starts and runs find for like 3 days then it will not start again. I also see that it only giving me problems when its cold.. I also replaced the fuel pump relay and just replaced the fuel filter like 2 months ago.. One last thing i noticed that im not getting fuel in the fuel rail but when i replaced the ECM and fuel pump relay i get fuel in the fuel rail..

1. I can hear the fuel pump.
2. I have replaced the ECM 3 times.
3. I have replaced the fuel filter.
4. I'm getting spark.
5. I have replaced the fuel pump relay and fuel over 3 times.
6. I have fuel.
7. Van starts after replacing ECM or Relay.
8. No fuel in fuel relay at all
9. Van stops starting after 3 days of replacing fuel pump relay, fuel, and ECM

I don't know if replacing the ECM or Relay or Fuel is causing it to start or its just making me think that.

NEED HELP.. I really hope its not the fuel pump..
ddavis4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Ford windstar Not starting.. Replaced the ecm 3 times got it to start then it stopped again after 3 days.. NEED HELP!!

I'll bet you a nickel it's the fuel pump.

Don't replace with aftermarket either, or you'll be doing it again! Spring the $200 or so for the motorcraft kit (the entire assembly including new screen, etc.). I haven't done this job yet, myself, but it doesn't look TOO horrible if you just take your time. The biggest trick will be getting the van up high enough for clearance and not snapping off the plastic filler neck guiding it down. I'd use 4 jack stands or, in my case, probably 2 jack stands and my oil change ramps.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Ford windstar Not starting.. Replaced the ecm 3 times got it to start then it stopped again after 3 days.. NEED HELP!!

x2 on the fuel pump is the culprit thought. I'd send a pm to 12ounce, he's had a lot of experience with the fuel pumps and he may be able to offer further insight.
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

How many miles on the van? Has the fuel pump ever been replaced?

What ECM has been replaced? ....the PCM? (Powertrain Control Module?) .... by whom?... Why? More background please ... what were the "first symptoms"?
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Have you tested the fuel pressure? You didn't mention any readings. I suspect it's the pump as well but I would check the pressures before I tackled that job.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

The van has over 100 thousands miles..
I believe the fuel pump has never been replaced.
The Engine Control Module was the one that was replaced. By Me (I have some experience working on cars but not much)
Because where i live it does not really get that cold buy for a week straight it got very cold and it started to snow so i could not drive for two days but after the two days i with outside to check on the car and to start it and it would not start all it would do crank but not turn over so first i check to see if i can hear the fuel pump and i could then i checked the ignition coil to see if i was getting spark and i was. After that i checked the fuel rail to see if i was getting fuel when i turn the key and saw that i was not getting fuel so i replaced the Engine Control Module and fuel pump relay. After i did that the van started right up with no problem and ran great for 3 days then after 3 days it did it again so i replaced the Engine Control Module again and it started up again and ran for 3 days again and now i want to know what is going on..

I checked the fuel rail again and see that there was no fuel in it after i turn the car..

Also if it is the fuel pump how come it start when i replaced the ECM thats wired..
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

i checked it and there was no fuel or pressure coming from the fuel rail at all
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis4791 View Post
The van has over 100 thousands miles..
I believe the fuel pump has never been replaced.
The Engine Control Module was the one that was replaced. By Me (I have some experience working on cars but not much)
Because where i live it does not really get that cold buy for a week straight it got very cold and it started to snow so i could not drive for two days but after the two days i with outside to check on the car and to start it and it would not start all it would do crank but not turn over so first i check to see if i can hear the fuel pump and i could then i checked the ignition coil to see if i was getting spark and i was. After that i checked the fuel rail to see if i was getting fuel when i turn the key and saw that i was not getting fuel so i replaced the Engine Control Module and fuel pump relay. After i did that the van started right up with no problem and ran great for 3 days then after 3 days it did it again so i replaced the Engine Control Module again and it started up again and ran for 3 days again and now i want to know what is going on..

I checked the fuel rail again and see that there was no fuel in it after i turn the car..
Also if it is the fuel pump how come it start when i replaced the ECM thats wired..
Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
jerryg2112
AF Regular

If you have no fuel pressure at all then it's probably the pump. Before you replace it one last test that I would do is to check for 12v at the pump. Remember that a key on position only primes the pump so power may only be present for a few seconds when your checking.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

when these pumps start to fail it's not unusual for them to be somewhat hit and miss. I'd bet that the time you had fuel it was one of those "hit" times. I would check the 12v as suggested earlier just to be sure but I'm thinking you've got a pump replacement in the near future.
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Quote:
It's been my experience that when a fuel pump fails it doesn't just quit. I starts to act up. One day it doesn't start and you run your battery dead trying to start it. A couple hours later after you get home with your wife's car that you had to take you charge your battery and it starts right up. A couple weeks later it won't start again. Then you figure out that your pump is on it way out and listen for it to prime. When it doesn't prime your ready and climb under the car with a mallet and you tap the tank a couple of times and this jars the pump and it works again. Till you get the time to fix it or it completely fails then you have to fix it. The point is they usually don't completely fail all at once.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

How would i go about checking that?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Quote:
How would i go about checking that?
You would need to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a fuel pressure gauge. Find out what the specs for your engine are and check see if those pressures are there. One of tests is how much pressure you can get the pump to put out with several primes without starting. The other is running pressure if you can get it to start. Most likely you don't have the pressure your supposed to. If you don't then it's most likely the pump. Low pressure could also be the regulator but since yours is intermittent I would learn towards the fuel pump acting up. One last check would be to check for less than 12v at the pump if your pressures are low but that's not likely to be the case. Also make sure you have a fully charged battery when doing these tests so the pump is getting the voltage that it needs.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

Ok i'm going to do that test but if it is the fuel pump do you believe it would be best just to buy a fuel pump or the whole assembly because i don't have much money to put out
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Only you know your budget so that would be your call. It looks like a pretty big PITA to drop the tank and stuff so for me, I'd prefer to not have to repeat the whole thing because I used a cheap aftermarket pump. But then again, the cheap one could last many years.

Personally, I'd just pay the $240 for the whole motorcraft assembly and be done with it.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
GeoClark (02-17-2014), jerryg2112 (02-14-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2000 , ecm , ford , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar