Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #31
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Venture Oil Pump or oil pressure switch

I'm still puzzled about why the engine seized up. When I had to do my heads on the 3.4, I seem to remember reading that the cam bearings were often the ones that were damaged because of the coolant in the oil. Do you know the history of the engine - has it had the head gaskets replaced from overheating?

Did you ever check the compression on the cylinders before doing this work? If it is missing, can you tell which cylinder(s) are the ones missing - - any check engine codes? Maybe check the fuel pressure at the rail since that will not take much time to rule that out. If that's OK, then I believe I'd do a compression and leak down test next to see if it can be isolated to a specific cylinder.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #32
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Oh yes I have replaced the head gaskets back in the spring. I also had replaced them about 2 year ago when I first got the van. Had to replace them in the spring because when I did it before I bought the cheap ones from Ebay(not felpro) and they last about 2 years. This past spring I went with the best and everything was fine. Had the heads checked and they were fine. Everything was fine until the instant oil light and the bad miss. So I guess it is time to pull the motor and do the camshaft and bearings. Thanks for the great advice. Probably thinking why not just put a different engine in it? Well I am odd about that and around here you only get a 7 day warranty on a engine so I can just rebuild and know what I have got. May take awhile but at least I know it was done right. Oh yeah the engine seized because I was crazy enough to keep cranking it and letting it run a little at a time when it first happen.
joeshannallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #33
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Started back tearing it apart and two of the fuel injector holes toward the front of the van and on the driver side is loaded with gas. It is coming out the holes it is so full of gas. What would cause that?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #34
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshannallie View Post
Started back tearing it apart and two of the fuel injector holes toward the front of the van and on the driver side is loaded with gas. It is coming out the holes it is so full of gas. What would cause that?
Maybe those are the cylinders that were not firing and they have filled up with fuel.

Could that be why the engine was seized too?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #35
joeshannallie
AF Regular

I dont know about the seize part. What would cause the cylinders to fill up like that?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #36
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Ok I need a expert on here to reply, Someone told me that the computer may be shutting down the fuel pump and not letting it get fully running. Still though should not the oil pressure be about instant when you fire up the van? Also does anyone know what would cause the gas build up in 2 of the front injector holes. Please reply soon.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #37
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

The injectors may have also gone static (always open) due to pintle rust, solenoid damage, or grounded injector harness wires.

Yes, oil pressure should quickly build to a bare minimum of 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #38
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Re: UPDATE!!! 1999 Venture Oil Pump or oil pressure switch

UPDATE!!! I may have found the problem. Took lower intake off and pushrods and lifters. Stuck my finger in one of the holes to see if camshaft was lose. It is broke. I could touch it and move on the back in toward the oil pump drive gear and It was tight toward the front of the engine. So that explains the bad misfire. Also explains why there was no oil pressure. Duh the cam was broke before the oil pump drive gear= noway to get oil pressure!!! Now pull the engine and replace the cam and probably a few more things.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #39
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Good that you found it. I believe the cam is hollow (tubular) after the very earliest series 60° V-6s.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #40
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Thanks Blue
How would I know if this messed the block up? It must have happen right when the oil light came on. It was instant and did not drive it 100ft to get it off the road. Please reply soon.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #41
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Unfortunately the only way will be inspection. If the cam shredded off metal (likely) it could be scattered all over the pan. On a positive note, with the oil pump not operating none of it would have been pumped through the oil galleries and made it to any bearings, lifters, etc. If you can clean it ALL out you might just get lucky.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #42
joeshannallie
AF Regular

There was very little shavings and they were near the front of the oil pan as a result from the rod bearing or main bearing(dont remember which one now) The shavings was from the engine seized from me starting it and running it. There are zero shavings that I can see anywhere else in the engine. None in the lifter area or anywhere else. You are right the oil pump was not working from the time the oil light came on and the instant misfire. SO I do have a good feeling that the block is fine. Thanks for your advice.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture