Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 05:35 PM   #1
carman
AF Regular

Sources have recently confirmed reports that Porsche is preparing a limited edition supercar that will be a direct rival to McLaren's F1 and Ferrari's F50. Our sources report that the Porsche 980 (as it will most likely be named) will be powered by a twin turbo V8 that will produce around 700hp. Top speed is set to be as high as 360km/h (220mph) !

The photo on the left is a first look on what is set to be one of the fastest cars of all times and certainly the fastest Porsche of all times. Production date will most probably be sometime in 2003.

this is pretty cool too!
all the big guns have new concepts
Old 01-07-2001, 04:33 PM   #2
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
carman

Yeah, I too saw pictures (not to mention performance stats) of this car and was thrown for a loop. What a ride!! Beautiful low-slung profile, but unmistakably Porsche. And that's key for me. I dislike the Ferrari 360 Modena, because I think it lacks classic Ferrari trade-marks and tip-offs, unlike the F355, which is unmitakably Ferrari. That may be a little contradictory, as Honda, for example, has little if any classic brand look. But the exotics I feel should keep a certain profile.

Anyway, yah that Porsche 980 is a gem.
Old 01-14-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
LostBoyScout
AF Regular

Booya! I love that car, it looks like someone sat on a 911

The Carrera GT seemed to have similar purpose though, why build both?

As for the 360 - It may be a new look for Ferrari, I do love the 360 to no end.. I'm sorry, can't help it! My favorites are now the 250 and 360 - I don't care for the 550 at all for some reason.. the rear engine and nimbler 360 would be my pick any day!
Old 01-19-2001, 10:17 PM   #4
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Carman

do you frequent any other forums? You sound familiar
Old 02-17-2001, 07:02 AM   #5
danmangt40
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to danmangt40
In case no one has figured it out yet, the carrera GT IS the 980. The actual "980" was a distraction to make sure people weren't publishing carrera gt spy shots if there ever were any. Chances are, though, that the 980 in this picture is actually some modified 911 panels (headlights, carrera style fascia) over the real carrera gt chassis. Porsche has been playing around with the idea of using sheetmetal to hide their products in plain view. Autoweek published info over a carrera gt doing its road-testing wearing a stretched ferrari 348 costume! It makes perfect sense, you know? people do all sorts of crazy things to their cars, so whatever proportional modifications between a prototype and a completely separate production car can just be assumed to be owner related if the production sheetmetal is used to cover the prototype! Certainly more subtle than when an amorphous blob covered in black tape parksnext to you, eh?
Old 02-19-2001, 03:19 PM   #6
Innotech
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Innotech
That F348 sheetmetal car you are speaking of was NOT for Porsche at all...rather it actually hides the Ferrari F60 V12 engine!!!! The body style is currently anybodys guess....
Old 02-19-2001, 05:24 PM   #7
enzo@af
Old Mod

Wasn't it a 348 front end and doors matched with a 512(or something) rear?
Old 02-19-2001, 06:41 PM   #8
danmangt40
AF Newbie

re:348

innotech... and I quote from autoweek, February 12, 2001... leading news item:
"No, its a super porsche
at first glance, or second or even third glance, this spy shot looks for all the world like a long-tail Ferrari. Sources in Germany tell us they're 'nearly 100 percent sure' it is instead the first chassis mule of Porsche's Carrera GT supercar. (Take a close look at its upswept tail, almost identical to that of the Carrera GT concept.) Prototypes have been spotted on the nearby autobahn, but this shot was taken at a Bosch facility in Stuttgart. Porsche's $350,000 world-beater unveiled last October in Paris has a midship-mounted 5.5-liter V10 producing 558 horsepower, coupled to a six-speed manual transmission. The drivetrain and suspension form a single unit with struts and rear axle mounted to the gearbox, racer-style. Porsche is expected to announce production plans this spring, don't be surprised to hear of a 500-car production run beginning in the 2003 model year."
I will post the picture and capture in a minute...if anyone else doubt's that 980 was probably just a prototype carrerar gt, maybe they should consider that the two are in the exact same market and price-schedules, the 911 GT1 styling that the 980 wears is almost two GT1 generations old, and that absolutely NO more information or spy shots of the 980 have surfaced since the Carrera GT broke cover in late 2000. Honestly, has anyone else seen a picture printed in a car magazine to the contrary? I subscribe to 5 of them, and regularly read the expensive british ones that wouldn't make sense to buy on a regular basis. Innotech, I'm not knocking you, you have a bitchin website, but this is true...What is crap is that "Ferrari f60" sketch that automobile magazine printed a few months ago and the car and driver "rendering" of the same car. Both are ludicrous. The drawing from car and driver has a 360 style body, but with a pininfarina rossa style fin aft of the front wheels as well as a mercedes-like formula 1 racer nose. neways, I'm right this time, so phhhbbbtt!!!! (immature noise- sticking out tongue). There is crap that people get wrong because the manufacturers are having problems hiding their cars. Ferrari submits silly ideas into sketch artist's heads despite what stylistic clues they drop years in advance when talking about technology relevant to the car. Porsche is hiding their cars by putting it under old ferrari bodywork. It makes good sense, because black tape might not let people "see" your car, but it certainly draws attention.
dan
Old 02-19-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
danmangt40
AF Newbie

oh, and for the record, the F designation was never attached to ferrari's main models before the f355 debuted. it was the 348, not the F348. Also, you should consider that porsche always assigns a project number beginning with a "9" to its pre-production cars. The boxster prototype was the 986, the most recent 911's are the 996, the previous was 993. its entirely possible that 980 is the carrera GT project number, how about that.
Old 02-19-2001, 06:57 PM   #10
danmangt40
AF Newbie

Talking

pic of article... dunno how this img tag thing works for this forum, so if there's no pic, just put the url in your browser

[edited by Igor: you can show pics using vB Code]
Old 04-29-2001, 12:56 PM   #11
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

Actually, there wrong. In another forum (On this board) It was said that that is the new F60 platform, not the Carrera GT. If you noticed, it's half 348, half 355.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Old 04-29-2001, 02:33 PM   #12
enzo@af
Old Mod

I guess you didn't get the point of that article, did you Porsche. They are suggesting that Porsche disguised their car as a Ferrari to throw people off. And, well, it seems like a good plan.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:21 PM   #13
John98R/T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to John98R/T
That car looks sweet as hell, its a little different then what they have done in the past but i like it.
Peace...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #14
googs
AF Newbie

Re: Porsche 980

how do u post drawings
Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Re: Porsche 980

Read the rules. No bringing back old threads and posting stuff that's not even on the subject :ban: