Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
h3llfir3
AF Newbie

Questions about car security

hi im new to the whole car security, before i start my modding i wanna get my stuff all locked down nice n tight

anyways ive heard of many options out there on how to get things secure.
1. Security systems such as compu star pro, viper, and some others.
Can someone explain to me what comes with these?
Also i would like to know
-Does it come with the classic "noise" alarm as part of the package?

2. How can i find out what kind of security i already have in my car (if any at all) My car came with a/c but standard locks and windows.

3. What is the best way to go in terms of getting a GPS tracking system for if my car gets stolen

4. What is a kill switch and i also heard about something in cars that comes from the manufacturer that stops the ignition if someone tries to hotwire ur car. is that also a kill switch?

Any help would be great :P
h3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Questions about car security

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3llfir3 View Post
hi im new to the whole car security, before i start my modding i wanna get my stuff all locked down nice n tight

anyways ive heard of many options out there on how to get things secure.
1. Security systems such as compu star pro, viper, and some others.
Can someone explain to me what comes with these?
Also i would like to know
-Does it come with the classic "noise" alarm as part of the package?
The typical alarm system will come with a couple of key fob remotes, the module, a relay or two, hood pin switch, shock sensor, wiring harnesses, LED, siren, installation instructions, owner's manual, and valet switch. Most will come with a siren, but some will allow you to use the car's horn with or without the siren.

Quote:
2. How can i find out what kind of security i already have in my car (if any at all) My car came with a/c but standard locks and windows.
This will be very car-specific. Your best resources would be the car's owner's manual and a service manual for your car that would indicate where the module would be if it has one. You could also search the vehicle-specific AutomotiveForum. Please search for the answer prior to starting a new thread though, per the Forum guidelines.

Quote:
3. What is the best way to go in terms of getting a GPS tracking system for if my car gets stolen
There are likely to be numerous options here as well, but I've never looked in to them. Maybe someone else will speak up, or you could try an Internet search.

Quote:
4. What is a kill switch and i also heard about something in cars that comes from the manufacturer that stops the ignition if someone tries to hotwire ur car. is that also a kill switch?

Any help would be great :P
A kill switch would be a switch that gets wired in to the car and installed in a hidden location that ideally only you are aware of. When you leave your car, you flip the switch open and it prevents some critical circuit from being powered. This might be the fuel pump power wire, the coil primary, etc. You would need to select a circuit that does not require backup power (such as the PCM) or that is easy to defeat. You also would want to use a high quality switch with a locking 'closed' feature to prevent it from tripping while driving.

Many aftermarket alarm systems will have a starter disable feature. For this you wire in a relay that, when the alarm is armed, opens the wire for the starter solenoid. This "prevents" an amateur thief from starting your car when the alarm is armed or triggered. Some remote start systems will also utilize this switch to prevent you from grinding your starter if you turn the key to the 'start' position while the vehicle is already running.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
h3llfir3
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
The typical alarm system will come with a couple of key fob remotes, the module, a relay or two, hood pin switch, shock sensor, wiring harnesses, LED, siren, installation instructions, owner's manual, and valet switch. Most will come with a siren, but some will allow you to use the car's horn with or without the siren.
Can you explain in more detail what all these parts are? and what is the best alarm system to get. is compu star pro good? i found a installer to do it for me and they recommend compu star pro and i was talking to some other guy who got it done from them and he likes it too. but i dunno. what do you think?

Quote:

Many aftermarket alarm systems will have a starter disable feature. For this you wire in a relay that, when the alarm is armed, opens the wire for the starter solenoid. This "prevents" an amateur thief from starting your car when the alarm is armed or triggered. Some remote start systems will also utilize this switch to prevent you from grinding your starter if you turn the key to the 'start' position while the vehicle is already running.
This is what I was describing right? The thing that manufacturers some times install in high end cars?

Also, do all cars come with the noise alarm from the manufacturer or some dont? because i dont think i have one, i never heard it ever go off, and my doors and stuff are all manual so i dont think i have one but im not totally sure

One more thing, how did you set up multi quotes like that?

Quote:

A kill switch would be a switch that gets wired in to the car and installed in a hidden location that ideally only you are aware of. When you leave your car, you flip the switch open and it prevents some critical circuit from being powered. This might be the fuel pump power wire, the coil primary, etc. You would need to select a circuit that does not require backup power (such as the PCM) or that is easy to defeat. You also would want to use a high quality switch with a locking 'closed' feature to prevent it from tripping while driving.

-Rod
I just went to my manufacturer and they told me that someone can hotwire my car but can't start it if they dont have the appropriate key. I am kind of confused because on a GM forum it says that someone also cant hotwire your car either unless the appropriate key is inserted due to a chip in the key head and in the car. So I am not sure who to believe. (The manufacturer says that it CANNOT be started with a different key but it CAN be hotwired, the GM forum says that the car CANNOT be hotwired and CANNOT be started with a different key than the right one) (On the forum it wasnt my car they were describing. it was a 2007 malibu they were describing but i assume that all the key chips work the same? it says that if the wrong key is inserted, the fuel injectors wont work and if someone is trying to hotwire the car , the fuel injectors still wont work because the right key is not present) http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...bilizer-59951/

Is this also a form of a kill switch?

My dad has a honda and he told me that his car has this feature that the car wont start unless his proper key is inserted and nobody can hotwire it either because the theif does not have the proper key at all

----------------------------------

One more question :P
I know i have been asking a lot but i am anxious to learn
anyways, i kno i was talking to you about engine immobalizers and how the key plays a part in it, what i forgot to show you was my key.. anyways my key does not have any electronic buttons on it. it has just a black head and a metal key, but it has a circular red dot on the head just where it connects to the metal part. Is this the place where the chip is inside the key? or do i not have a chip at all?

Also , what is the price for a top of the line security system ( such as compu star , etc ) in US dollars
key2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key2.jpg (76.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by h3llfir3; 07-06-2009 at 02:05 PM.
h3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Can you explain in more detail what all these parts are? and what is the best alarm system to get. is compu star pro good? i found a installer to do it for me and they recommend compu star pro and i was talking to some other guy who got it done from them and he likes it too. but i dunno. what do you think?
I've never used Compu Star, so I can't really comment on their quality or features. Many brands are from the same family (Directed Electronics, Inc.) so the technology will be similar. I've used Viper, other DEI off-brands, and other brands such as Autopage and Crimestopper. Each had pros and cons. I've been most impressed overall by Autopage, but the Crimestopper had the best range. It will come down to what features you want and how much you want to spend.

Describing each of the features will take more time than I have right now.

Quote:
This is what I was describing right? The thing that manufacturers some times install in high end cars?
Many manufacturers will have a perimeter violation alarm system that will flash lights, sound the horn, and disable the vehicle from starting in some form. Some don't enable the fuel pump, some don't enable the fuel injectors, some don't provide a primary signal to the ignition system, some disable the starter. Many manufacturer's do it differently, and in most cases it's integrated into the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in one way or another. It's not just "high end" cars.

Quote:
Also, do all cars come with the noise alarm from the manufacturer or some dont? because i dont think i have one, i never heard it ever go off, and my doors and stuff are all manual so i dont think i have one but im not totally sure
I'd be inclinded to say most utilize the horn that is already in the car rather than adding in a separate siren. But some manufacturers do use a siren. A properly installed security system will not go off (false) unless the perimeter of the car is violated. Usually these systems will only sound if a door is unlocked forcibly, the hood/trunk/hatch is opened before a locked door is opened, etc. Few OEM systems use a shock sensor or motion sensor. Even with these sensors though, it it's properly installed it won't trigger the alarm unless a true violation has occured.

Quote:
One more thing, how did you set up multi quotes like that?
Copy and paste of the code. I haven't found an automated "multi-quote" feature yet, but I haven't looked either.

Quote:
I just went to my manufacturer and they told me that someone can hotwire my car but can't start it if they dont have the appropriate key. I am kind of confused because on a GM forum it says that someone also cant hotwire your car either unless the appropriate key is inserted due to a chip in the key head and in the car. So I am not sure who to believe. (The manufacturer says that it CANNOT be started with a different key but it CAN be hotwired, the GM forum says that the car CANNOT be hotwired and CANNOT be started with a different key than the right one) (On the forum it wasnt my car they were describing. it was a 2007 malibu they were describing but i assume that all the key chips work the same? it says that if the wrong key is inserted, the fuel injectors wont work and if someone is trying to hotwire the car , the fuel injectors still wont work because the right key is not present) http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...bilizer-59951/

Is this also a form of a kill switch?
Again, many manufacturers perform this feature differently, and the implementation can change from year to year. For awhile GM just put resistors in their keys that were easily bypassed. There were a small number of resistors value that were used, and the system was easily bypassed. Later they transitioned to the more robust transponder keys like Ford and others use. The transponder keys will look for a small number of programmed RFID codes and will only provide a coded "Go/No Go" signal to the PCM to allow the engine to start. Some of these may allow the starter motor to engage, but not other critical functions. These systems are also more immune to theft attempts. But, with the right equipment, they can be bypassed as well. Ultimately, no car is safe from theft, all you can really do is make it more difficult to steal than the next car.

Quote:
My dad has a honda and he told me that his car has this feature that the car wont start unless his proper key is inserted and nobody can hotwire it either because the theif does not have the proper key at all
See above. Honda probably uses a coded transponder system.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
gps , killswitch , security
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical