Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
RicanDrummrAne
AF Newbie

water pump/timing belt

Im looking to change the water pump on my 98 forester. well the timing belt is wat really needs to me changed according to the recommendation of the previous owner's mechanic. well my sister had the car before me, but i bought it off of her. but i'd rather change the water pump too, since i know that i gotta change the timing belt if i do that. my question is, whats the average labor cost of the job if i take it to a shop? i bought all the parts. so i dont have to worry about that. i wanna change it soon. the mileage is over 160k. i know its high but the car is running great. i only use it locally. taking it to work every day. about a 5 mile drive. but i will be making a 3 and a half hour trip in the upcoming weeks with it. so i wanna change the belt and water pump to avoid any problems.
RicanDrummrAne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
P47Thunderbolt
AF Newbie

Re: water pump/timing belt

Don't know labor costs but I've been researching parts cost.Best price for complete kit is on Amazon.com.Some kits include water pump,idler,pulleys and belt.Some exclude water pump.The one I'm considering is approx $170.I have a local guy I've used that quoted $200 to install.I've heard factory install prices $600-900.WOW.
P47Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
nycredneck
AF Newbie

Re: water pump/timing belt

Timing belt w/ idlers, tensioners, pulley's and water pump is a 3 to 3.5 hr job. I would also replace thermostat, when I did my car I replaced the valve cover gaskets as well which is another 1.5 hrs labor.
nycredneck is offline   Reply With Quote