Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Msvic
AF Newbie

wheel bearings-95 Olds achieva

My sons 95 Olds achieva;s wheel bearings are so far gone you can;t hear the radio!
I;m not a front wheel drive expert so any info on the replacing procedure really appreciated.
The dealer wants around 800 bucks to replace them!
I;m pretty handy so thought we may attempt this ourselves.
Any hints, sp. tools, please do adivse & thanks in advance
Msvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Techedguy
AF Newbie

Re: wheel bearings

I have replaced both of them on my 03 Grandam which should be pretty much the same just a little newer. To do this you must first take off the front brake and brake calipers and brackets. Use a piece of wire and tie the caliper and everything up out of the way so that you do not have to disconnect the lines. After this remove the rotor. Once the rotor is removed you can use an Inch and 3/8 socket (six point) and an impact gun to turn off the old axle nut. After that turn the wheel as far as you can in the direction of the bearing you are working on and on the back side of the bearing (towards the axle) you will find four bolts that hold the bearing in place. These are going to be rather tight, and you have to make sure you get on them straight, because if you strip one of them you are going to be screwed. I also don't recommend you heat any bolts or anything because of the close proximity to the cv boots) Next is where a second person can really comes in handy. You have to use a pry bar to get between the old bearing and the housing that it sits in. After you get it to pry lose in one spot start working your way around to keep it coming out even and not getting jammed. After it is out a half inch or so use two pry bars, one on each side, to brace the bearing out while someone else puts the round end of a ball peen hammer into the divot on the end of the axle and use another hammer to beat on the head of that one in order to knock the axle out of the bearing because it will most likely be rusted in. I know this sounds kind of harsh, but if you don't do it you risk pulling the axle out of the tranny and then you are in a world of hurt. After the axle breaks free of the bearing your almost ready to pull the bearing completely free, but first you have to remember to disconnect the abs wires on the back of the housing. Next just clean everything up and put it back together in reverse order and make sure to get everything tight when going back together so nothing can vibrate apart going down the road. The first one took me about 2 and a half hours, the second one about 1 and a half. Hope this helps and good luck.
Techedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Msvic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techedguy
I have replaced both of them on my 03 Grandam which should be pretty much the same just a little newer. To do this you must first take off the front brake and brake calipers and brackets. Use a piece of wire and tie the caliper and everything up out of the way so that you do not have to disconnect the lines. After this remove the rotor. Once the rotor is removed you can use an Inch and 3/8 socket (six point) and an impact gun to turn off the old axle nut. After that turn the wheel as far as you can in the direction of the bearing you are working on and on the back side of the bearing (towards the axle) you will find four bolts that hold the bearing in place. These are going to be rather tight, and you have to make sure you get on them straight, because if you strip one of them you are going to be screwed. I also don't recommend you heat any bolts or anything because of the close proximity to the cv boots) Next is where a second person can really comes in handy. You have to use a pry bar to get between the old bearing and the housing that it sits in. After you get it to pry lose in one spot start working your way around to keep it coming out even and not getting jammed. After it is out a half inch or so use two pry bars, one on each side, to brace the bearing out while someone else puts the round end of a ball peen hammer into the divot on the end of the axle and use another hammer to beat on the head of that one in order to knock the axle out of the bearing because it will most likely be rusted in. I know this sounds kind of harsh, but if you don't do it you risk pulling the axle out of the tranny and then you are in a world of hurt. After the axle breaks free of the bearing your almost ready to pull the bearing completely free, but first you have to remember to disconnect the abs wires on the back of the housing. Next just clean everything up and put it back together in reverse order and make sure to get everything tight when going back together so nothing can vibrate apart going down the road. The first one took me about 2 and a half hours, the second one about 1 and a half. Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks for ther info, very helpful as i;m a old school guy.
One question - Are those 4 bolts in the back of housing metric or maybe allen wrench or Torx?
As i said i work on Am. Hot rods so i want to have right tools ready
Thanks again for reply
Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Techedguy
AF Newbie

I don't remember right off the top of my head whether they are metric or american, but I do know for sure that they are not allen or torx. You can get into check them without pulling the wheels if all you want to do is make sure you have the right stuff before you start. Just turn the wheels all the way in the direction you are trying to get on and go under the front of the car under that front wheel and you will see the bolt heads in the bottom of the strut tower, they are around the axle where it goes into the bearing. Like I said mine is an 03 but I would imagine it is pretty darn close to being exactly the same. I just wish I could remember the size of those bolts and whether there is three or four of them. Oh well, it's not that bad of a job really. good Luck
Old 04-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Msvic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techedguy
I don't remember right off the top of my head whether they are metric or american, but I do know for sure that they are not allen or torx. You can get into check them without pulling the wheels if all you want to do is make sure you have the right stuff before you start. Just turn the wheels all the way in the direction you are trying to get on and go under the front of the car under that front wheel and you will see the bolt heads in the bottom of the strut tower, they are around the axle where it goes into the bearing. Like I said mine is an 03 but I would imagine it is pretty darn close to being exactly the same. I just wish I could remember the size of those bolts and whether there is three or four of them. Oh well, it's not that bad of a job really. good Luck
Great!!
I will have a look when he gets home.
Trying to save the kid a few bucks, the wheel bearings alone are $180.00 each side, so i figure labor, double that!
Again ,really appreciate you taking the time to post this info
appreciate it & so does my bank account!!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Msvic
AF Newbie

I wonder if it may be quicker, more economical & simplier to just change the whole housing with a pair off a low mileage car that is wrecked.
I;m assuming now, that that housing could be remved from the strut?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Techedguy
AF Newbie

I don't know about that, and it should be a very low mileage donor car. As I stated mine is an 03 and I had to replace the first one at less than 60,000, and the second only made approx. 75,000.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Msvic
AF Newbie

I;m a little worried about getting into it myself & running into problems
My son has been driving this car with the bearings just howling!! for weeks.
I finally got him to park it
I;m just worried that i;ll get it apart & the bearings may have welded themselves to the housing or something like that.
It sounds like a pretty intense job, although i;m good with cars, just don;t know front wheel stuff, you know.
Just apprehensive re-what i;ll find in there!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva