Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
mazen
AF Newbie

Question Increasing fuel pressure

I've heard a lot about increasing fuel pressure to gain more power especially in modified engines (Direct admission,de-cat pipes...).
The ECU regulates the amount of injected fuel only indirectly by opening the injectors for a certain time. Thus the amount of fuel only depends on the existing pressure within the fuel system.So by incressing it you'll inject more fuel to the engine.
And for those that will tell you that the O2 sensor will detect a rich mixture and reduce the pulse width to the injectors, this is true.you'll not run rich at idle and part throttle BUT at full throttle (WOT) the signal from the O2 sensor is ignored ( I bet a little people know this ) so you'll get more fuel hence the gain in power.
Anyone has another view on this subject before I make the modification to my car?( I'm planning to replace my 3.0 bar FPR in my 318i with a 3.5 bar one for the six cyl engines)
mazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
328isRob
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 328isRob
To change the injectors or put more fuel in the car you need to reprogram the ECU... sorry to have to let you know this. It's one of the reasons why turbo's and SC's are so expensive for our cars. If more people bought them then the price would lower dramatically because of all of the money that went into R&D on reprogramming the chips to work with the larger injectors and put more fuel in the engine.