Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
carpediem222
AF Newbie

97 Old Achieva wont start, please help.

Hello all,

I have a 97 olds achieva, and when i turn the key a quarter turn, the dash is supposed to light up along with the guages... anyways,., mine wont do that, and if i try to start the car, it will not turn over. I have tried a different key, bought a new battery.... what else is there that I can do?

I have had 2 different automotive businesses look at this problem and neither one can fix it. Hopefully I can get some reponse here.. Thanks.

Nick
Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Question Re: 97 Old Achieva wont start, please help.

Skimpy info here, does the engine crank and not start?, what have these shops done that they cannot get the car started, this is not magic here. Does the security lite stay on, do other accessories work, did some one try checking for spark and fuel?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
carpediem222
AF Newbie

Info update:

After key is inserted, when you turn it to the first click; the dash is supposed to light up and the gauges are supposed to be active. This is my problem. If you attempt to continue to turn the key, the car will attempt to start but wont (rpms go to 2000, then shut off before turning completely over). As far as mechanical work done,... the first mechanic insisted that it was a fuel pump problem, that ran me $500. Then the same mechanic said that the computer needed reset. The trouble returned again since then. I thought I was getting ripped off by the first mechanic because I knew it wasnt the fuel pump.. it was either electrical or security that prevented the lights on the dashboard from kicking on. The next mechanic replaced the battery assuming that was all that was wrong. Once in a while the car will start, but as you are driving, the dash will turn on and off, meaning the speedometer, fuel, mileage, rpm would all be dead. All other parts of the car seem to be working fine, including the stereo, a/c, etc. Is it possible to have something to do with the ignition key and the goofy security system in the car???
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
graphak
AF Newbie

computer problems-cant start

I also have a 97 Olds Achieva and just had a similar problem...my car suddenly stopped starting today and left me stranded.

I put in the key and turned it all the way to start it, and nothing, it does not turn over at all. When I try to remove the key, it wont turn to the "completely off" position. It will turn as if to start the car, but nothing happens. When its between start, and the 1/4 click position, the gauges and dash lights all blink like crazy, in no apparent pattern. An electronic clicking noise also happens. The lights and other battery operated functions of the car do not work.

I disconnected the battery for awhile to see if it would reset my computer, but it didnt. I was able to get the key turned to the off position once and removed the key, opened the driver door, and the "door open" beeping alarm was different (faster and different pitch) than normal. I thought maybe it was fixed so I tried to start again, it did something mechanically for a split second like try to turn over, but nothing further. Now the key is stuck in the quarter click position, the dash lights blink and flutter along with the gauges.

The problem could be computer or security related, also the car may have experienced the coldest weather it has known lately. Bought the car in Albequerque, NM, and I live in cold Greeley, CO.

Ive left my car in some parking lot with the battery disconnected so it wont drain. Please help! Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
THUNDER40CAL
AF Newbie

Question Re: computer problems-cant start

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphak
I also have a 97 Olds Achieva and just had a similar problem...my car suddenly stopped starting today and left me stranded.

I put in the key and turned it all the way to start it, and nothing, it does not turn over at all. When I try to remove the key, it wont turn to the "completely off" position. It will turn as if to start the car, but nothing happens. When its between start, and the 1/4 click position, the gauges and dash lights all blink like crazy, in no apparent pattern. An electronic clicking noise also happens. The lights and other battery operated functions of the car do not work.

I disconnected the battery for awhile to see if it would reset my computer, but it didnt. I was able to get the key turned to the off position once and removed the key, opened the driver door, and the "door open" beeping alarm was different (faster and different pitch) than normal. I thought maybe it was fixed so I tried to start again, it did something mechanically for a split second like try to turn over, but nothing further. Now the key is stuck in the quarter click position, the dash lights blink and flutter along with the gauges.

The problem could be computer or security related, also the car may have experienced the coldest weather it has known lately. Bought the car in Albequerque, NM, and I live in cold Greeley, CO.

Ive left my car in some parking lot with the battery disconnected so it wont drain. Please help! Any ideas?
WHILE I WAS TRYING TO FIX MY 96 acheivas no start problem I found the following :::your problem was duplicated when I unplugged the wires from the ignition switch I am not an acheiva mechanic by any means but I would check the fuses that provide power to the Ignition circuit one in the dash one under the hood if that fails to be the problem I would next check the ignition switch itself I hope this helps
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
graphak
AF Newbie

Fixed it the next day

Well I called a few mechanics and some quoted fuel pump replacements at $750, and some at $120. The guy that said $120 said to check the battery first before doing anything, and sure enough, my battery just died all at once, leaving enough juice to make the dash go crazy, but not enough to try to turn over the engine.

After putting in a new battery, the key was able to turn off all the way and be removed easily, and also the car started just fine. Such a simple solution for what I thought was going to be an expensive problem. Thanks for all the responses though.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
goosefreak
AF Newbie

Re: Fixed it the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphak
Well I called a few mechanics and some quoted fuel pump replacements at $750, and some at $120. The guy that said $120 said to check the battery first before doing anything, and sure enough, my battery just died all at once, leaving enough juice to make the dash go crazy, but not enough to try to turn over the engine.

After putting in a new battery, the key was able to turn off all the way and be removed easily, and also the car started just fine. Such a simple solution for what I thought was going to be an expensive problem. Thanks for all the responses though.
I have been through this guy's exact symptoms on my 97... replaced the battery and everything was fine... until the next morning. Car wouldn't start again. All I get is a clicking sound.

Can anyone help?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 97 Old Achieva wont start, please help.

goosefreak, welcome to AF.

Please do not bring up threads older then 3 months.
If you need assistance please post your own thread and someone will help you.
It is ok to link to an older thread though.

this is closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva