Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Quick Microset/ sol question

Hi again!

Struggled like mad with the C/F decals on my Enzo this weekend and decided this wasn't going to work unless I had chemical assistance!
I've read plenty on here about Microset/sol and have now ordered a bottle of each to finish applying the decals I have.

Question - can I use it on the poorly fitting declas I applied at the weekend that are already dry?

I just found it an absolute nightmare to get the decals to follow the contours on the dash - I'm assuming that Micro set/ sol will make this a whole lot easier!

Thanks in adavance for your help again - this newbie stuff is hard work learning from scratch!
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Re: Quick Microset/ sol question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurchio
Question - can I use it on the poorly fitting declas I applied at the weekend that are already dry?

I just found it an absolute nightmare to get the decals to follow the contours on the dash - I'm assuming that Micro set/ sol will make this a whole lot easier!

Thanks in adavance for your help again - this newbie stuff is hard work learning from scratch!

I agree! This modelling business is hard work when you're a newbie!! I've came to terms with the fact that my first few models will be shite! And hopefully, by the fourth I'll have learned from my mistakes!!

With regards the dodgy decals - I THINK you're stuck with them. I too messed up some decals last night. I was putting seatbelt decals on my Peugeot 206 WRC and I arsed it. The first one ended up with the shoulder buckles nowhere near the holes, so I had no choice other than to make the other seat look the same!! I applied more micro but they wouldn't budge and for fear of them ripping I decided to leave them as is.

Take it as a painful & expensive learning curve. I'm sure all the top guys here have been where we are now.

When applying decals I've found that they work best on glossed/coated surfaces with a dash of microsol applied by brush to the area you're going to put them on. This will allow you to maneouvre them to where you want them to go. HOWEVER, this didn't work with the seats but this will be down to my newbie-ness and not the process.

Stick with it mate, we'll get there in the end

----------

In Progress : Peugeot 206 '02 WRC Safari
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the response - was thinking nobody would answer me then!

I'm fine with the positioning of the decals - it's just getting them to follow the contours of the dash etc.
The dash I did last night sits perfectly on the flat but when you try and bend the edges around the corners they constantly flick up.
I'm assuming with set/ sol the decal softens so much it will easily go around the corners and take the shape of the surface it is applied to - just hoping someone can confirm that for me?
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

It should do the trick if it doesn't try to heat the decal up with hair drier or (as I was advised) little piece of cloth soaked in realy warm watter (the hotest your hand can handle). As for allready applyed decals soak them with Micro set (blue one) and leave it for few minutes then put Micro sol (red one) and heat it with hair drier. Never tried but it should work even on decals that are allready in place. You won't be able to move them thou and be very carfull not to rip them.
So red bottle is for really curved surfaces and those with lot of details and blue one is for general use.
If you are able to get, I have heard that Mr. Softener from Gunze is very good for this also (but haven't tried it).

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

If you brush the Micro Sol onto the decal your trying to fix it will eventually soften it. Just keep going until the decal easily moves or starts to conform to the surface.
When using this stuff for the first time don't panic if the decals start to bubble, this is normal, it is VERY soft and fragile at this stage so don't touch it with your fingers (unless they are teflon coated).
I use a VERY soft brush cut on an angle and gently pursuade the decal around and into irregularities. I also brush the Micro Sol on before I lay the decal down and find this helps with really complex surfaces!
I hope this helps?

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD