Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 01:42 AM   #106
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8slayer
BMW and Porsches are more desirable worldwide.
Well of course. They are contempory car brands after all.
Vettribution87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:15 AM   #107
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettribution87
They are contempory car brands after all.

Explain your use of the word "contempory".
After all, many of GM brands are contempory car brands as well.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:32 AM   #108
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie

Exactly. Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Chevrolet are the only GM brands I wouldn't call contemporary.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:06 AM   #109
christophv
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Eh! Wrong.

Mitsubishi Motors, Mitsubishi Chemicals and Mitsubishi Electronics are all 3 differnt corperations.
After WWII the single company was split into three, as it posed to great a risk to western companys trying to get a foot hold in Japan, and held far to much control over the Japanese economy, preventing the rise of new and orginal Japanese industrys which were needed to help rebuild the country.
jup, they're indepentend from each other, legally wise (can I say that? sry for bad english)
But not only into three, there were over 200 companies, organizations and so on.

I just read Mitsubishi Motors is owned by Daimler-Chrysler with 37%.

--

This thread is extraordinary for AF, real cultural exchange and Company vs. Company

gave it 5 stars

still searching for a decent dorifto device
"If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, is Honda Motorsports then HOMO?"
christophv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #110
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophv
jup, they're indepentend from each other, legally wise (can I say that? sry for bad english)
But not only into three, there were over 200 companies, organizations and so on.

Yeah, I knew there were a few, but didn't realise it was so many.

Heres a list of all of them: http://www.mitsubishi.or.jp/e/contents/contents_2.html

And it includes a good link to the companys history explaining how there came to be so many.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #111
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

would you really rather live in Norway than the US
(BTW, somebody has to pay for all that, don't forget it is a big social wlefare state)
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #112
V8slayer
AF Enthusiast

Can we get off this "THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE CRAP".

There's no such thing. It's very subjective. Big city, country town, cold, hot, ethnic make up of the society. All that differs depending on who's choosing. You love the US. Good for you. Don't assume everyone agrees with you. And certainly don't assume they're wrong to not agree with you. We won't come to a consensus on that.

What we do have in common is we love performance cars. So let's stick to that.

Can someone explain to me the attraction of a supposed American icon. The Camaro SS. It is IMHO an ugly pile of crap that makes a lot of unwelcome noise. I prefer the sleeks lines of Aston Martin and Ferrarri, the high pitched whine of the E46 M3's engine. The low rumble of a V12. Why the fascination with AMERICAN MUSCLE. Is it patriotism or something that's built-in to the psyche from a very young age?
V8slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #113
blindside.AMG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blindside.AMG

Quote:
Can someone explain to me the attraction of a supposed American icon. The Camaro SS. It is IMHO an ugly pile of crap that makes a lot of unwelcome noise. I prefer the sleeks lines of Aston Martin and Ferrarri, the high pitched whine of the E46 M3's engine. The low rumble of a V12. Why the fascination with AMERICAN MUSCLE. Is it patriotism or something that's built-in to the psyche from a very young age?
Why would you even bother comparing the Camaro SS to Aston Martin's, Ferrari's, and an M3? Anybody driving a Camaro would be happy to give it up for one of those cars.

And the US isn't the only place that likes muscle or the sound of a big bored V8. Ever driven or heard an SL55? The exhaust note on a 230 makes a Carmaro with a Flowmaster sound like a mouse.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #114
christophv
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
would you really rather live in Norway than the US
(BTW, somebody has to pay for all that, don't forget it is a big social wlefare state)
HELL yes, I went there for like one week and saw only one ugly chick

agreed on that sound.
I was crossing my street some weeks ago and heard really loud engines, I thought there were guys driving w/o exhaust.
I turned back and saw two Ferrari 550 convertible cruising with some rich guys in them

Ferrari engines sound like they're always driven at the redline.

still searching for a decent dorifto device
"If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, is Honda Motorsports then HOMO?"
christophv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #115
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Relating Cars to cultures (US - Jap - Europe)

Quote:

Sorry for my late reply. I can only do this when I’m at work.

Anyway, contempory refers to a kind of market. A contempory market is made up of people who only buy the best regardless of price. They are generally you're upper class people that purchase by name brand ie Porsche, Bang & Olufsen, Gucci, ect.

Another market is named traditional. These are you’re value for money folks. They would make a purchase based on the product itself regardless of who made it. This usually involves a lot of observations, research and asking questions in order to get value for money.
Brand examples: Toyota, Panasonic, cloths from Target, Kmart ect.

The last market is called volume. These days they are a rarely people who subscribe to this market. The volume buyer is usually the person who wants to spend as little money as possible regardless of quality. They nearly always buy the cheapest.
When there’s a special on they will generally buy as many goods as possible, often more then they need (Obviously this applies more to things like toilet roll and food rather then cars and white goods).
Brand examples (If they had to buy new): Lada, Palsonic, cloths they find in the bargain bin at department stores.

Now these are generalisations. And many people will change there market behaviour when buying different goods and these buying habits are not limited to a persons financial status ie a person who earns less the 18K a year may go out on a limb to buy the expensive brands, and that old man with his second hand cardigan filling his trolley with store brand toilet roll could be a millionaire.
I should also point out that second hand goods do not count in these market descriptions.

Just my
Old 07-26-2004, 12:59 AM   #116
Moppie
Master Connector

From http://dictionary.reference.com/

con·tem·po·rar·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-tmp-rr)
adj.
Belonging to the same period of time: a fact documented by two contemporary sources.
Of about the same age.
Current; modern: contemporary trends in design.

It has nothing to do with cost or quality, or type of people.
Its a refernce to a place in time, being the current place in time.

A mini is a contemporary car, as is a new Nissan Maxima, and a new Ford F150.

Since almost all the brands under GMs ownership are used somewhere in the world on a car, or cars designed in the last 5 years then all can be considered comtemporary brands.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:30 AM   #117
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

The word Contemporary was a word I picked up from a course book on marketing research a few years back. I’m surprised that the literal meaning is different but I suppose it is better to go with the dictionary on this one. My apologies to any mislead by my misappropriate use of abovementioned word.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #118
Moppie
Master Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettribution87
The word Contemporary was a word I picked up from a course book on marketing research a few years back.

I think it would have been in refernce to buying trends, or marketing styles at the time at the time the course book was written.
You have to be very careful useing the word contemporary in written works, as whats contemporary at the time of writing won't stay contemporary.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:56 PM   #119
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophv
just short words to your patriotism: after all I heard and saw, I have to disagree (have you ever been to europe? no slums, no terror-angst, no murders on tv all day, no action news, no car chases/gunfights etc, no poverty at all? heck, people don't lock their cars and houses here!!)

And you say there's no market in China?
All I can say is DAMN I'm not a businessmen sitting in China right now, because right now it's the time you can make BIG BIG money in this exploding market.

http://speed.supercars.net/Board?vie...D=4&tID=125868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM   #120
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

thats the most retarted post ive read in a long time("Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro") , comparing a $28,000 car to a $80,000+ car?! ummm lets see, American Muscle is so loved bc its cheap, very powerfull, and available to the masses. Id rather have a '69 Pontiac Firebird 400(i think it looks nicer, most beautiful car ever) then a Aston or Ferrarri, if i got a GTO, it would be a Pontiac(i am a weirdo fyi). I could mod one of those with all the money i saved. Just wondering have u ever ridden in a Muscle Car? Also i dont like high pitched wines, it sounds dorky and wussy, give me a nice low growl. Pluss if u want to be fair(which comparing a muscle car to a "super car" is not) a Ford GT or Dodge Viper would whoop the cars u mentioned.

but remember im quite strang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.

Last edited by Um...Nameless Dork; 07-27-2004 at 06:05 PM.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons