Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
tlane276
AF Newbie

2000 Bravada starting issue

went out this morning and she wouldnt start. new battery, new alternator so those arent problem. pulled out relay for starter and there was a little 'fzzz' and then nothing. bought new relay and new starter(had old 1 tested and it was shot, new 1 tested fine) and replaced both but still no start. all the power comes on, just no crank when i turn key. used tester on wiring that goes into starter and the smaller wire only reads 0.03 when i touch it. plus, when i try the continuity, no beeps at all. any ideas? could the wiring all of a sudden be bad or is it more likely that i fried the ignition switch and if so, how easy is it to replace.
tlane276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: 2000 Bravada starting issue

Does the starter relay, (in the underhood fuse panel) click when you turn the ignition switch to the START position? If it does, check the purple wire on the starter solenoid for battery voltage when the ignition is in the START position. Then post your results.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
tlane276
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Does the starter relay, (in the underhood fuse panel) click when you turn the ignition switch to the START position? If it does, check the purple wire on the starter solenoid for battery voltage when the ignition is in the START position. Then post your results.
No volts. Im gonna attempt to replace the positive cable going into the starter. Mine has the ground attached to it. Never done this so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

No volts on the purple wire or on the battery cable? (at the starter) If there is no voltage on the battery cable, and there is voltage at the battery, the fuse under the battery may be blown.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
tlane276
AF Newbie

Quote:
No volts on the purple wire or on the battery cable? (at the starter) If there is no voltage on the battery cable, and there is voltage at the battery, the fuse under the battery may be blown.
no volts on the positive cable at the starter. took it all apart today and pulled the fuse under the battery and it tested at .3 ohms. i was told thats fine. the battery cable i need is a long black cable going to my starter with a small red cable going from the positive terminal end to that fuse under the battery and the alt cable running fron THAT cable. oreillys doesnt carry them so i hafta go through a dealership, pay $100 and wait a day. i called a local shop and the guy there said 'ignition switch, $350'. also said it probably wasnt the battery cable. im leaning toward getting the cable and replacing it. are there ways to test if its my ignition switch? also, is it possible that the starter relay fuse port is shorted out? how do I test that? what setting on my meter?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

The black wire runs from the battery positive terminal directly to the starter, there is no fuse in that circuit. Disconnect both battery terminals from the battery. Clean the battery and cable ends with a wire brush until they are shiny clean, (no corrosion). Disconnect the black wire from the starter, clean the cable end and starter connection and tighten it back up. Reconnect both battery terminals and tighten. Post your results.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
tlane276
AF Newbie

Quote:
The black wire runs from the battery positive terminal directly to the starter, there is no fuse in that circuit. Disconnect both battery terminals from the battery. Clean the battery and cable ends with a wire brush until they are shiny clean, (no corrosion). Disconnect the black wire from the starter, clean the cable end and starter connection and tighten it back up. Reconnect both battery terminals and tighten. Post your results.
Done and done. Even brushed off the negative terminal and took out the fuse under the battery and cleaned all connections there. Still nothing. A buddy suggested I disconnect positive cable from battery and starter, try and hook a jumper cable from pos term on battery to same term on starter and try it. Im guessing that if it works and cranks, my battery cable is shot. If it still doesnt start, then I suppose its ignition switch. Im no electrician, I usually shy away from it. But money is tight right now and we're a 2 car family. The switch is $65. The local shop quoted "about" $350. So If I can do it myself Im saving ALOT of dough. How difficult of a job am I looking at when it comes to replacing an ignition switch in this truck? Also, is there a way to test the existing switch to see if it's even bad?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

If the black wire at the starter does not show battery voltage at all times, that's why the starter does not engage. Don't waste time or money on an ignition switch, or any other part, until the diagnosis is complete. After you cleaned the connections, did you have battery voltage on the black wire at the starter?

Does the purple wire show battery voltage at the starter when the ignition is in the START position?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada