Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
zorq
AF Newbie

Steering wheel lock/Ignition switch/Car start problem 1983 320i

I have an old 1983 BMW 320i with an odd problem that prevents me from driving it.

One morning the key wouldn't turn so following advice I had received regarding this problem with cars in general I started jiggling the wheel back and forth when I suddenly hear a pop come from the steering column and now I can not only turn the key in the ignition but the steering wheel could now be turned without the key in the ignition. My jiggling had broken the Steering wheel lock.

The problem is that now the car only starts sometimes. Sometimes when I turn the key, the key turns and the dash powers up and the car starts. Other times, I turn the key and it turns but the dash doesn't even power up.

Some other facts. I can turn on the headlights when the key isn't in the ignition and they work. The "Door Ajar Buzzer" rings when the door is open but the key isn't in the ignition.

Obviously the fact that the steering wheel lock is broken is irrelevant to me when I can't even start the car to drive it somewhere.

Does anyone have any advice on what it will take to fix this problem?

I get the feeling that things just aren't aligned properly in the steering column anymore and that if I could get in there and rotate something then things would be able to work without any major repair.
zorq is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series