Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
sleepy_civic
AF Newbie

Is this swap really as good as it sounds?

I was reading up on crvtec and ls/vtec because I was considering the swap when I found this: http://www.hstuners.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=33

In his two preceding articles he talks about "The evils of ls/vtec" and then in this one he proposes an alternative....The buildup he proposes sounds very good however there must be some reason I havent really heard of it before. Maybe I have in the form of stroking a b20 using the b17 crank but this sounds different. He says that it becomes hard to get a good c/r, couldnt a turbo help fix that fairly easily since the engine is already sleeved and has a good r/s?
sleepy_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
sleepy_civic
AF Newbie

Cant anyone even give their opinion on this?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:25 AM   #3
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
The page won't open, so I don't know what you're refering to, but try www.b20vtec.com to read up on a real crvtec/lsvtec frank build up.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
sleepy_civic
AF Newbie

I have already read about the real crvtec and lsvtec buildup not only at www.b20vtec.com but also here on the boards. This site is not about how to make a crvtec but its about an alternative that they claim is better.

http://www.hstuners.com/

then click on article & news, then on the right side under latest articles it says "The LS/VTEC and B18C Alternative" click on that and it should take you to the article im referring to.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Doing the B16 or B17 thing is a waste of money. If he thinks he can get a sleeved B16 or B17 with 12.5:1 pistons and new rods for the same price as a B18C1 or an LS/vtec, he's a crack addict. You would need to bore the cylinders out to 86MM to try and equal the power of a B18C1/B18B, but that is TOTALLY unsuitable for forced induction. Most I like to go with is an 84MM bore, after that the sleeves have a tendency to baloon under heavy boost because they are so thin. He talks about how an 86MM B17A would spin to 12K with ease, and that's good and fine and all, but my lowly B18C1 has no trouble spinning to a little over 9000, and I know people shifting B18B's at close to 10 grand with street motors. For a street motor, B18C1 or B18B is a better choice than a B16 or B17.
boosted331 is offline   Reply With Quote