Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
arthurx4
AF Newbie

Unhappy grinding noise while braking

I have owned my 2004 Sienna for about 9 months. Recently I noticed a grinding sound while braking. I took the van in and the tech said it was the abs system working. I however don't think this is the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
arthurx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
misterblutarsky
AF Newbie

Re: grinding noise while braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurx4
I have owned my 2004 Sienna for about 9 months. Recently I noticed a grinding sound while braking. I took the van in and the tech said it was the abs system working. I however don't think this is the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I had the same problem, and they fed me the same line of BS about the anti-locks. Turns out there is a tech bulletin out there, issued in March 2004 dealing with this problem. Take it back in, and ask them to find the bulletin. The geniuses I dealt with, tried fixing the rear brake problem (I'm not kidding) by replacing the front rotors and pads. After they did that, the rear problem was even more pronounced, so I took it back, and they then found the tech bulletin, and fixed the problem. My biggest complaint now is the serpentine belt squeals every morning upon startup. They've replaced the belt, but no fix is evident.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
mwebber78
AF Newbie

I'm glad to see that the 04' Nissan Quest and Sienna owners have the same "new model" blues. The Quests have had similar brake problems, usually resulting in a freshly turned disc that fixes the problem. You guys have the little rattles we have too?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
misterblutarsky
AF Newbie

Re: Re: grinding noise while braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
I'm glad to see that the 04' Nissan Quest and Sienna owners have the same "new model" blues. The Quests have had similar brake problems, usually resulting in a freshly turned disc that fixes the problem. You guys have the little rattles we have too?
Fortunately, my sienna has not had any squeaks of rattles. We've been pretty pleased with the quality, although we're not so impressed with any of the service departments we've visited, especially in our new town of Savannah, GA. Take care!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
NoSisPoweR
AF Newbie

I dunno if this applies but I have some quirks with my 1998 Sienna.

The front brakes do rumble or vibrate a bit when braking hard or with a heavy load. This is simply because the rotors are a big warped.

Another caused of vibration really is the ABS engaging. You should be able to tell the difference between the two though. The ABS vibration is very high frequency, low amplitude. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a very sensitive ABS sensor.
NoSisPoweR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna