Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Mrpink1034
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1999 sunfire 2.2L wont start

one morning the car would not start, working fine the night before. Removed battery, starter and coil packs and all were tested and passed. I even replaced the starter with a new one and still no luck.

When I turn the key to accessories, all the lights, radio and dash indicators are normal. I turn the key to start it and nothing. Not a sound. I tried to start the car in neutal and shift through the gears and back to park thinking theres maybe something wrong with the sensor but still no luck. What can be the problem? Please help. Thanks.

Joe
Mrpink1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
SledDog30
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 sunfire 2.2L wont start

Does the starter turn over if the solenoid is jumped?

Did you check the starter solenoid?

The voltage to activate the solenoid goes from the ignition switch (yellow wire) thru the transaxle range switch out of the range switch (purple wire) to the starter solenoid.

Make sure it's in park, put a volt meter on the purple wire on the soleniod, it should be on the small terminal, have someone try and crank it. If you have voltage at the solenoid, the solenoid is bad. No voltage, you will need to check the voltage coming into the transaxle range switch (yellow wire). Voltage there, bad transaxle range switch. No voltage there, check the ignition switch.

Also, if your sunfire was subject to the recall for "dead batteries" it may involve the relay that was installed...I can't remember if that relay has the ignition circuit going thru it....

Last edited by SledDog30; 04-24-2006 at 06:29 PM.
SledDog30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
mkilla
AF Newbie

Yeah sounds like a solenoid to me...Check the relays also
mkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
RTowner
AF Newbie

Will it start with the steering column in the full up position?
But not in the lowered position.
RTowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
starjammir
AF Newbie

I got the same problem. I pulled the wires from the starter and brushed them off. Put them back on.. wammo worked fine for a day. The next day the same thing happened. I also noticed it seems to happen when I shut the car off run inside the house or get gas or something and try to start it again. Almost like it needs time to cool down or something.
starjammir is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions