Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
dorlow
AF Regular

2015 Yukon LED brake light out

Ok, this is frustrating. The passenger brake light went out. After researching a few days and calling around, I finally came to peace with the insane cost of $600 for a light. So, earlier today I dished out $600 for a new tail light. Install it. Test it and now my passenger tail light works... But by complete coincidence, the opposite side of the car's brake light goes out!!! This is insane!! I can't afford $1200 on stupid lights!! So, now I'm Googling trying to figure out if I can just fix the second one. I found this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTCufdQALW0

I cut the tail light in the same spot. The same spot where the guy in the video shows that he soldered the connection to fix it, I notice mine is also broke. I manually push the pieces together to touch and test and the brake light comes on.

For some reason I decided to then break the connection again. Test by pushing the brake pedal and the brake light still comes on??? Now I'm confused. That obviously isn't the problem. But now I have a hole in my light that I could get condensation in my light. I'm kind of coming to grips I'm probably going to have to dish out another $600 for a second light which is insane. But wondering if anyone else has any advice. The light is working at this moment but I'm sure it's working intermittent.
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2015 Yukon LED brake light out

Just a stupid design by GM.......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Just a stupid design by GM.......
...And another wonderful opportunity for the aftermarket to rectify the design shortcoming.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Basically, because it is a sealed unit, a break could be anywhere in the circuit....how this guy in the video found it in that particular spot is beyond me.....so what GM is asking it's customers to do is, pay $600 for a bulb problem.....Someone had the great Idea, if we completely seal the unit, nothing can happen to the electrical components....unless of course the guys soldering those components on a Monday morning, after a long weekend, did the job....

It's a sealed unit....it had nothing to do with customer abuse....it's a design flaw that apparently is showing up, and GM is not accepting responsibility for it.....remember the old days when you had a socket with wiring that unscrewed from the assembly and was easily replaced if defective?

The first time I ran into a situation like this was when GM came out with those multifunction switches......previously, each component was fixable at the low cost of each component......now if any one of those components went bad, you were paying big bucks for a whole multifunction switch, which in some cases was 7 X's the cost of an individual component.....

And don't get me started on HID headlamps......

So are the new designs any better? They still fail, and are more costly to replace?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon