Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Churchillian
AF Newbie

'00 or '04

I'm looking at Xterras and have narrowed my search to two vehicles.

The 00 has 46K, V6 with 5 speed, and is in really good shape. It has a brush guard but it is a cosmetic thing that will come off as soon as it gets to my garage. I looks like it's never been in the mud. I was very impressed by the condition it's in considering it's age.

The 04 has 54K, V6 auto, and is mint. Everything is stock. It's an ex-lease vehicle.

The '04 is $4000 more that the 00. Judging by mileage they're the same age. The '04 rides better on the road but my last vehicle, and new project, was a lifted YJ with 33 Baja Claws so you know where I stand on comfort. The big question I'm asking is which is tougher, more reliable, and more likely to get my butt home if I get stupid in the woods? I drive 5 miles to work so I don't care about the rest.

I've checked a bunch of older posts and from what I've gathered the body (metal) on the '00 is better, but the exhaust manifold is a problem. Anything I'm missing? Do these have any problems with rust like my YJ does?

I appreciate your time and have very thick skin. Call me a dummy at will.

Thanks,

Jason
Churchillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Churchillian
AF Newbie

Re: '00 or '04

Oh yeah,

The '00 is an SE

The '04 is an XE
Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

I'd be a little leery of the 00 only because it has a 5-speed and they're not exactly prone to it, but have been known for the transmission to crap out. The automatics are much more durable. The 04 is still (barely) within the powertrain warranty as well.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Churchillian
AF Newbie

Thanks for the input. I just drove the 04 home tonight. The bank wanted a ridiculous interest rate for the 00 since it was "so old". That made my decision for me. I liked the 04 anyway since it's a nicer ride and the wife can drive it. She's my wheelin' partner and hasn't done well in my Jeep which is a manual.

Thanks again,

Jason

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail