Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
jbh0521
AF Newbie

1998 CRV A/C not blowing cold

We are testing a friend's CRV for a couple of weeks before we decide to purchase it (we are in need of a cheap car). It has been extremely well taken care of and besides the very faded exterior, the inside is immaculate and after a four hour road trip yesterday, we know that it runs like a dream. It has a lot of miles on it, 205,000, but you would never know it. Shifts easily, everything from cruise to power windows work flawlessly. Except the A/C. I have read up on the Black Death issue, but they have had no issues before now. They had it charged, but it it is working intermittently. We had it on for 30 minutes yesterday before the cool air stopped coming out. You hear no sounds and notice no change in the pull to the car when it happens. Is this the black death? Wouldn't it have happened long before the 205,000 mile mark?? My husband is very handy with cars, but changing out the entire AC system is super involved and something he may not want to take on. As this could make or break whether we buy it or not, I would appreciate any thoughts. TIA
jbh0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Drewet1988
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 CRV A/C not blowing colda

I had the same issue in my 99 CRV. I was told to put a thermometer in the vent with the A/C on full blast and if it didn't reduce the temperature 20-30 degrees lower than outside temperature it is time to have it serviced.

Did they have it charged at a shop or did they charge it themselves? I would get a A/C pressure gauge and use it to check the true level of freon in the system. It may be under or overfilled which could cause the problems you spoke of. If its not that theres more to check before changing the entire system.

~Drew
Drewet1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
a/c , black , compressor , death
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V