Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
skoot85
AF Newbie

86 to 87 engine swap distributor problems

i took engine out of a 86 nissan pu 720 with a z24 motor and put it in a 87 nissan pu d21. thought since they both had same engine i could swap engines. everything matched up except the distributors. the wiring harness from the 86 dont match up with the 87. tried the 87 distribtor in the 86 engine, total diff set up wont work. i think i have to u 86 distributor in the 87. both trucks have a pcm or ecm. need to get power to distibutor w/o goin threw the pcm, i think. a whole wiring and computer switch is out of the question. what can i do?

Last edited by skoot85; 11-11-2009 at 11:35 PM.
skoot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
jcarr242
AF Newbie

Re: 86 to 87 engine swap distributor problems

were both a z24 or could one be a z24i? The carb z24 has a vacuum advance and the z24I is controlled electronically. Don't know if this helps, but trying z24 or z24I distributor compared to what you have.
jcarr242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
skoot85
AF Newbie

thanks for the reply. dont no about the z24i carb. ill look into it.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
jcarr242
AF Newbie

did your problem ever get solved. I think I have a similar one now. My ecu quit working in my 86. Now I am not getting spark, and I want to bypass the ecu because the truck was changed from a tbi to a carb.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
skoot85
AF Newbie

no i have not. i was wondering the same thing. if i could just bypass the ecm. i havent found an aftermarket dizzy anywhere. if your able to find an aftermarket dizzy or bypass the ecm, please contact me. thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
jcarr242
AF Newbie

I found this page on the MSD website. With an aftermarket ignition controller you should be able to wire it without tying into the ecm. The guy with the 88 has two ignition controllers and two coils, but the MSD tech says you would only need one controller for both coils. MSD is the preferred brand, but you can get an Accel a lot cheaper since I don 't thInk either of us are looking for high performance here. Hope this helps, and good luck with your truck.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
skoot85
AF Newbie

awsome!! if i were to use the msd ignition coil? would i have to change dizzys or just wire the old dizzy to the msd ignition? all i no is, that there are four wires coming out of the dizzy, and if its simple as finding which are power ground etc.. then just hooking it to the ignition coil. that would be f%$@ing great! i have a 2yr degree in automotive tech from a community college. i no some things but not everything, and i'll b the first person to tell i dont know certin subjects. if its not to much to ask, do u no what id have to do if i were to buy that msd ignition, and how i would go about installing it to the dizzy? thanks again for replying

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups