Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 01:08 PM   #1
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Delehaye and Talbot Lago fans

I hope there some Delehaye and Talbot Lago fans at this site. These great French cars where something very special. The Figoni et Falaschi bodied Delahayes and Talbots have a timeless style that has won car shows around the world. When new many of the Delehayes and Talbots where just race cars toned down slightly for the street. If you like stylish autos and have never heard of Figoni then you should learn more about him and his coach building company.
vectorclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 02:04 PM   #2
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Theese are some of the most beautiful cars in the world, IMO. They flow sooooo nicely, with the chrome running along the lower flanck back up to the rear wheel, that is what REALLY sets it off for me. I will try and get some pics sometime.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:11 PM   #3
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

I like a wide range of cars, but the automobiles that use the "French Tear Drop" styling attract my attention. These cars came from Delage, Bugatti, Lincoln, Alfa Romeo, among others that used this styling in the 1930s and 1940s. Since the 1960s no one has really captured that flowing styling. The Chrysler Atlantic Concept Car would have been the first car in a long time to use the tear drop styling on a production vehicle if had gotten the green light. Sadly, I don't think the Chrysler Atlantic will ever see production. If I can save $100,000 I might get the Talbot Lago T150 knock offs being made in Florida, or was it California? This pic is of the 2001 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance winner. It is a 1937 Delehaye Type 135 MS. This has a Figoni et Falaschi body. It is one of two built like this. Jacque Harguindeguy did a great job restoring this car.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:08 PM   #4
Chris
Oldie

I much prefer this kind:

I agree, the Chrysler Atlantic was gorgeous (I've seen it in real life). Too bad these cars cost 250+ grand.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:33 AM   #5
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Any Figoni bodied Talbot Type 150 or Type 20 is worth a million easy. The Peter Mullin car, purple car seen in my first posting here and in yours, is worth 3 million. The red and light gray Delehaye Type 135MS will take home 3 million plus.

I think this is why the fake Talbots from Florida are semi popular for a niche market fake.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:18 AM   #6
Chris
Oldie

3 million Thats a fair bit. Still not as bad as a Bugatti 41 Royale. They are well over 5. One sold for 6 million pounds in 1990 or so!
So 3 mil doesnt seem so bad for one of the most beautiful cars around.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:46 AM   #7
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

I have seen two Royales. One I watch over when I worked at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum. After examining the car closely and speaking with experts I found the Royale to be a very over hyped automobile. People are paying big bucks because of the folk lore around the car. The Royale purchased by VW for 15 million US dollars in 1999 is the best looking one of the 6 made. There are 25 of massive 787 cubic inch Royale engines in the world. There was a few extra chassis made, so someone decided to build another Royale. This has divided the automotive community. People like me say it cannot be counted a Royale because Ettore did not build the whole car. It would like me writing the rest of an incomplete score by Bach.

Jerry Moore who bought a Royale and then sold it for a nice profit with in 3 months said something tothe effect of "The damn thing drives like a truck. All of the hype about what an amazing car it is turns out to be false. I can think of many cars built around the same time that are better then that thing."

The Talbot Lagos are bought because they stunning and well built. For thier day it was really among the best cars built. If someone wants to buy a Bugatti I would suggest a Type 35b or Atlantic.

It is interesting how overtime cars that once sucked in most peoples opinions become modern marvels. Clearly people are forgetting the flaws and falling in love with the history. Don't get me wrong, I adore Classic Era autos. I find the history to be an important part of a car. I just know people are getting the impression that cars such as the Duesenberg Model SJ drive like a dream. People think these old cars start like their modern day cars. I would hate to think what would happen if someone bought a Classic Era automobile and tried to drive it 5000 miles without changing the oil like a modern car. Duesenbergs should have their oil changed every 1000 miles. Some older cars need it changed every 500 miles. Then there are those that use the lost oil system.

As far as I know the 20 million spent on a Silver Arrows Mercedes Racer from the 1930s is the current record holder. A private individual bought it, but I have been unable to find the name.

Last edited by vectorclub; 12-30-2001 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:13 PM   #8
Chris
Oldie

Actually, the Royale would drive WORSE than a truck. It has leaf springs front and rear, and is bigger in every dimension than a Forrd Excursion!! But it wasnt made to be driven. They were made to be ridden in. They were actually designed for royalty, for the royal people to be chauffered. Is the VW car chassis number 41111? I have only seen pics of three, but that is my favorite.
That engine is awesome, though! 300hp at 1800rpm!! Thats 875lb-ft of Torque. Its no wonder they were used as train engines.

I can agree that any car not made by Ettore is not the same.

Those silver arrows are beautiful cars. Was it a streamliner or just a 'regular' GP car? The streamliners went 270+mph. People dont believe me when I tell them that.

About old cars being not nearly as good as new, I'm reminded of a story: This fellow just had his Packard (or Pierce-Arrow, or something of those sorts) restored, completely. He got in, drove 500 miles at 70+mph, which obviously isnt good for any essentially new car, let alone a 70 year old one. It also didn't help he had the handbrake up the whole time
Old 11-03-2001, 08:43 PM   #9
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Pictured above is the VW owned Bugati Royale. Yes it is Chassis #41111. When I worked at Blackhawk I got to know Chassis #41150. I know these cars where made for Royality, but no Royality ever bought one. The 300 horse power estimate is disputed by some. Many think it is more 265. The French still claim one Royale engine is in use on the French railway system.

The #41150 is up for sale now. It will be interesting to see if anyone bids enough to buy it. I know the previous owners bought it as an investment. I seem to remember the price being 8 million. Rumor is this car hit 10 million US Dollars, but I have never found confirmation of this. #41150 was restored by Bill Harrah. This good and bad. Harrah gave his mehcanics unlimited resources, but he did not always go for historically correct restorations. For Bill Harrah it was looks that came first. What can you expect from a man who sticks a Ferreri engine in a Jeep Grandwagener.

I agree the #41111 is one of the best looking Royales. There are times I favor #41100, the Napolean. If someone gave me any of the Royales, I thinkI would sell it. Then I could buy a Talbot Lago Type 150 with a Figoni body.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:35 PM   #10
Hudson
Old Mod

Automobile Quarterly ran an article a few years back featuring all six Royales. They had pictures of each of them and a story to go with it. The article also featured a picture of all six, together.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 10:01 AM   #11
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

AUTOMOBILE QUARTERLY ROYALE LIST

Automobile Quarterly is a wonderful publication. Anyone who loves cars from the 1950s on back would enjoy them. I won a complete set of AQs. There focus is the history of the automobile and they come in nice hard bound editions.

Here is all the issues Royales where in AQs...

XVI-4
X-3 (This is the most complete Royale coverage of all the AQs)
XII-4
I-1
27-4
26-2
35-4
34-3
32-4 (Pebble Beach Reunion of the Royales)

Those of you who are do not know AQ, they used Roman numerials for many years to indicate the volume. X I seem to remember means 10. XII is 12. So when you see XII-4, that would be the fourth issue of volume 12.

Ebay is a great place to find old issues of AQ.

Last edited by vectorclub; 11-06-2001 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #12
Chris
Oldie

I'll have to check E-bay this weekend! (I cant at school, working this week and have assignments, so no time at home )
Old 12-29-2001, 05:55 PM   #13
EightOhOne
AF Fanatic

damn i really like these cars!! they look pretty badass for how old they are...if only they werent so rare and cough expensive
EightOhOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 07:48 PM   #14
Judge
AF Enthusiast

damn, really interesting reading about these old but beautiful cars.
you seem to know alot about them.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:35 PM   #15
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

I am glad you enjoyed reading about the Classic Era autos. I wish more people knew about them. We get so caught up in the modern autos that we forget about some great classics. The attention to detail, style, and innovation of the builders back then is amazing.

I don't think we will ever see builders like those anymore. Many lost money from the day they openned to the day they closed. They were perfectionist that did not care for the accountants opinions. Many were also heavy drinkers and had more affairs then cars ever built by them, but all work and no play makes a car builder a dull boy.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars