Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: prefered wheels
all wheel drive 36 33.96%
front wheel drive 5 4.72%
rear wheel drive 59 55.66%
dont care 6 5.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:46 AM   #46
Ground Rat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ground Rat
Re: Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_night_fox
lol you apprently don't know too much about Back and Mountain road racing... espicially in the Rain... I've ran against, or with all.. RWD can't hookup easly and gets loose in corners and hard to control pitch with.. AWD looses traction in all 4 tires and understeers a bunch and Driftin it's even harder... Left Foot Braking is all I got to say.. removes most understeer, or you can just inertia or brake drift in the rain with an FF.. I do...
FWD is not better than AWD in the rain.
'92 Typhoon #591
Ground Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM   #47
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: do you care about fwd or rwd or awd?

AWD. Amateur rally and autocross on the weekends = fun
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #48
lone_night_fox
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to lone_night_fox
Re: Re: Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Rat
FWD is not better than AWD in the rain.

not when you hit the top end Racing.. but I perfer it and can drive it bettter... 4WD is too heavy, espically in the snow I hate it... it's just good at the start.. curve control is a pain in a AWD... if you get on it too much you can understeer or oversteer can result.. FF if you grip it understeers and Drift oversteer and you can use the gas to pull it out.. but alot of it depends on the car's setup etc... I drift the 1st half of a corner when dry and the second half when it's wet.. I can corner alot faster than my friend's Impresa! and he can drive... we would run eachother to school and such.. he's great off the line and holds corners well.. but rain starts to mess with his car.. and it becomes a little unpredictable.. so he slows down.. I just tap my brake and throw my car into a slide or start cornerin and on the second part of the curve I get my foot on the brake a tad to upset and slide with my momentum for the rest to resist the understeer. in sharp reversed banked corners it showed it the most.

In reality anyone can master any car... providing... but for me FF and FR is the only way I go... they are very predictable unlike MR or 4WD.. heard of bad stories of those two setups.. well seen 4WD and heard about MR.. like the front loosing traction because no weight in the nose.. and not turning.. also oversteer can be really hard to recover! but ya know.... I baise my Judgements on my own experence... and such

Sold:
Mazda RX-7 TURBO II (blown apex seal) aka: Sara
HKS F-CON, Defi Boost gauge, Greddy Ext. Temp Gauge, Greddy Blow off Valve Greddy S-type, full 2.5" exhaust system with Greddy Muffler, OBX Highflow resinator

Sold:
92Mazda MX-3 GS, Tropical Green Metallic
lone_night_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #49
catback23
AF Regular

For performance I'll take RWD over any other option. AWD is nice but racing conditions stress the drivetrain and also makes it harder to warm up the tires.
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:09 AM   #50
90Stangjc
AF Enthusiast

i love RWD and always will. you cant do the things in a FWD that you can in a RWD. a FWD is for pussies and you should have a RWD mustang like me so you can do badass dougnuts anytime. i have a 90 mustang GT 5.0 that will scream the tires off of it and i love it more than my on mom!!! i almost got pulled over tonight doing a dougnut with my buddies in the car but the cop couldnt keep up with me so i took off and left him in tne dust. AWD cars are pretty bad for take off and straight line but if you are an inexperienced driver you cant handle them fpr shit.
Ok wtf? LoL, i had a couple friends spend the night that night and they wrote that shit... that is pretty funny though...

Last edited by 90Stangjc; 08-15-2004 at 06:35 PM.
90Stangjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #51
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

I would have thought that awd would be good for the takeoff. What's bad about them?
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:54 PM   #52
catback23
AF Regular

he meant bad as in good, you know the slang. AWD have great off the line hook up but with cheap stock components and inexperienced drivers wanting to drop the clutch with all the RPM's they have they tend to break and if your overly careful you end up with a lousey start.
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #53
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
Hey stealthj, I thoroughly enjoyed your comment about RWD muscle cars and racing. I am assuming that you race your econo car from across the creek, but where do you think road racing originated. What you specifically stated is fully and exactly wrong. RWD cars race on road courses all the time, and guess what, there muscle cars! Get that! Blew your mind, eh? It isn't quite as impossible as you might think. Muscle cars might have just started the sport that you think is SO neat! Lets take a look back to some good old road racing from the late 60's. What?! Are these Camaros, Mustangs, and (later) Firebirds? But wait... wheres your Honda? Oh, its that little motor scooter that the kid rode up to the race. Too bad he couldn't enter it. FYI there are still SCCA(I think thats the organization) races and events all around the country with those muscle cars making great lap times, and great exhaust notes! Think or research before you speak, and don't assume that just because the muscle cars you see are at drag events there aren't a multitude of other road racing muscle cars also. Those muscle cars can do the same thing, they just don't choose to, so don't bash them for their opinion of what is fun or cool. So in the end, they could probably beat you in a drag race and a road race. So I don't want to hear from anyone that "your car can't turn, but my Honda can!" because it simply isn't true.
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #54
01rollaS&accordv6
AF Regular

Arrow Re: do you care about fwd or rwd or awd?

I now much rather prefer AWD then FWD and then RWD and then 4WD
Here's what we have, 1977 silver chevy shortbed/stepside pick-up w/a classic inline-six, column shifter w/grey leather ,1983 Obsidian black BMW 320i 2dr 6-spd 1.8L w/black interior,1988 Volvo 240 DL 2.3L 4-spd auto in Mayan Gold w/brown interior, 1996 GMC Sonoma 2.2L w/a 3/4 ton allison transmission,and axle,two-tone top green/bottom brown and beige interior, 1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4-spd auto also two-tone white top/ lower black and beige interior, 2000 Honda Accord EX-V6 Ultra Limited in Signet Silver w/Quartz Leather Interior and another 2001 Toyota Corolla S in white w/black/red interior and dual exhaust (one on each side). The 01 and 98 toyota are mine as is the 83 BMW i sometimes drive the Honda and Volvo they belong to my mom , I can't touch the trucks they are my fathers pride and joy. I'm looking to get rid of my 98 and my BMW to buy a 2005 Acura RL w/300hp and SH-AWD at the end of 04 as an 05 model I have always wanted an AWD vehicle and after driving my friends WRX STi i like AWD so this is what i plan to get.
01rollaS&accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:01 PM   #55
MR2Driver
AF Enthusiast

Gimme MR or a Sophistacted AWD Traction System, then comes a Balances FR (like the RX-7)

Lastly is FWD. No question on that...
MR2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #56
Ground Rat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ground Rat
Re: Re: Re: Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_night_fox
4WD is too heavy, espically in the snow I hate it...

WTF? I didn't even read the rest of your post. BTW, the fastest cars are RWD and I'll bet most of you are into "drifting". RWD is better for that too.
'92 Typhoon #591
Ground Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 PM   #57
Mr.Corolla
AF Regular

Smile do you care about fwd or rwd or awd?

Hi there
I think FF is the best for 'me' b/c with RR cars it seems that the back end always wants to overtake the front (spin in other words) but with FF cars like My 1990 1.3 12v Corolla are easier to cane around becuz the front is pulling the car in the direction i want and not getting arse happy and causing an accident. FF forever...maybe..R33 nxt shhh dont tell my mum.
peace out
chris (Mr corolla)
Mr.Corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #58
lone_night_fox
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to lone_night_fox
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Rat
WTF? I didn't even read the rest of your post. BTW, the fastest cars are RWD and I'll bet most of you are into "drifting". RWD is better for that too.

I know FR is best for Drift...... and the fastest cars are MR thou. Mclauren F1, Beugatti, most of your winning Lemans cars etc. (forgive the spelling errors) but thats on your road cources more often, FR is quicker on Drag.

Sold:
Mazda RX-7 TURBO II (blown apex seal) aka: Sara
HKS F-CON, Defi Boost gauge, Greddy Ext. Temp Gauge, Greddy Blow off Valve Greddy S-type, full 2.5" exhaust system with Greddy Muffler, OBX Highflow resinator

Sold:
92Mazda MX-3 GS, Tropical Green Metallic
lone_night_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:12 AM   #59
vetrus
AF Newbie

well i used 2 have a FWD jetta VR6 and it handled nicely but when u take sharp turns it sort of jumps, i now have a talon tsi AWD, it huggs the coreners like a beauty, if u get that with new suspension and low pro's you can take sharp a$$ turns so if any1 agrees w/ me call it out
vetrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #60
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

RWD, the cars i learned to drive on were FWD, so I now hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.

Last edited by RedLightning; 12-12-2004 at 09:41 PM.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General