Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
V6Baby_2000@hotmai
AF Newbie

Question What do women need to know about cars??

Hey everyone,

I am doing a research paper and I wanted the opinions of people who know what they are talking about when it comes to cars(and trucks). It doesn't matter if you know cars for pleasure or if you are a professional, I want your opinion and if I can get the opinions of both it would make everything that much better.

So here's my question: What are the things that you believe that all women need to know about the cars that they drive?? Anything from regular matinence to emergency roadside care and who to trust and not to when they need something taken care of. Please share anything that you think is important, as well as anything stupid that you have heard come out of a girl's mouth when talking about her car that no matter how hot or ugly she was made you want to shiver and walk away(or run). I would like to gear this more twards single college age girls.

Thanks in advance to everyone for helping me out!!
Lindsay
V6Baby_2000@hotmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
crazy legs
AF Regular

Re: What do women need to know about cars??

lol...since I am the first...every woman should know how to change oil and where basic parts are...i.e.:spark plugs, oil filter, distributor, air filter, fuel filter, brake fluid reservoir...where the jack and spare tire are (if the car is so equipped). Women should also be aware as to some other basics: bleeding brakes, checking power steering and radiator levels. If a woman was to take a car to a mechanic or dealership for engine problems, they should take the advice received with a grain of salt before getting everything fixed...find a website similar to this and post the findings to get opinions of others, or at least talk to someone they know to inquire with them... The only thing that has probably embarrassed me the most is when a woman doesn't know when the last time she changed her oil or any basic fluids for that matter.

Hope this helped...and wasn't too late...Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy

women need not to know about cars only the ugly ones do I saw in the news one day and they did a report on how attractive women get road side help very very easy from men but if a women does need to know about cars at least know when to change the oil ie. every 3000 miles and act when its time and not put it off but there are enough guys that know so much that women dont need to know about cars at all thats why they dont ( Keep in mind i use the word MOST)
kenwood guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
Rufe
AF Regular

Women (and men also) need to know how to read, Thats it!
The owners manual and the local library will give you
all the info you need after that.

And what is this "change the oil every 3000 miles" stuff?
Read the manual, don't waste your money.

Edit: Beyond reading, the best way to gain knowledge
is to work on your car yourself. And a good rule to operate
by, get three estimates for repairs.

Last edited by Rufe; 10-19-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Some knowledge of the basic systems of a car is helpful. The more knowledge the better, but a bit is better than nothing. Check out howstuffworks.com for some basics.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Yeah, about that oil change...My manual says change every 8500 miles. Not kidding. For a 91 CRX. I ignored it, and changed it every 3000 miles instead. I don't know how they came up with that number.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

good question???? who made that??
Old 10-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
PBking82
AF Enthusiast

Women should know all they want to know about cars. The only reason that mechanics and overall car enthusism(sp?) is widely male dominated area is because of a few gender specific characteristics.(please take in mind that these are overall generalizations and no way apply to all)
1. Working on a car or anything that weighs 2+ tons, takes a lot of physical abbility. Most women I know don't have the overall physical makeup to lift, budge, beat, etc.. very heavy and bulky objects.
2. Changing your oil is a very dirty process as are many jobs on a car. Most women I know aren't the most willing to dive into gross oily/greasey/grimmy setting to fix something.
3. It is a very rare occasion that I come out from under my car without any scrapes, cuts, or bruises. Women usually don't want to be walking around with cuts all over their hands/arms.

I will say that women should be informed to the workings of a car and when service is required(I.E. read your car's manuel). Also, don't just go to any mechanic thats a buddy of the guy you work with. Call the better business bureau in your area and find out which mechanics/dealers are reputable and which ones aren't. Along with that get a few opinions when your car needs repair work, guranteed there are mechanics that will charge a women for unneccesary work just because they honestly don't know what needs to be fixed and how much it should cost. Lastly, if you think there is something wrong with your vehicle get it checked out by a qualified tech(ASE certified) ASAP! The longer you wait, the more it usually costs.

Hope this helps. -Peace
PBking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
RandomTask
Banned

RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

women need to know how to drive cars, and what kind of car they are driving. when a woman gets into a car (most of them) all they know is, what is the gas, brakes, and the automatic trans:P, D.
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 PM   #11
Rufe
AF Regular

Re: Re: What do women need to know about cars??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrev
women need to know how to drive cars, and what kind of car they are driving. when a woman gets into a car (most of them) all they know is, what is the gas, brakes, and the automatic trans:P, D.
I think you need to take out the women reference and put in "people in general". Driving skills/habits in general, seem to be on a steady decline.

You do bring up a very good point though, on people learning to drive. Power everything, and automatics have really sapped the expertice out of people. They have no clue what is going on with the car. I think new drivers should learn to drive in a car with manual brakes and manual steering, as this will give them so much more insight, (except for the perpetually clueless) on how the car and tires work. Oh, yeah, and the licensing system in the USA is a joke.

Getting back to the topic, I think women need to realise that if they want to know more about cars and repairs, they need to take an interest in their car. There are several books available at local libraries that discuss just what you should know. Beyond that, you really need to get "oil under your fingernails".
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

true I like that theory
Old 10-26-2004, 05:31 AM   #13
sirsmiley
AF Regular

my gf has no idea about her car besides how to drive it (dont get me started there). She claims since she has CAA (canadian ver of AAA) that she doesnt need to know a thing about her car, i was shocked when she said she didnt know how to change a tire or check her air pressure in the tires....she says CAA will do that if there is a flat...we all know a little preventative maintenance once a week or 2 will cure many potential problems down the road, ie in cold weather her tire pressure dropped and hasnt been topped up yet.

What if CAA is busy in the winter with 5 other calls and cant get to you for 3 hours in the snow?

tire care and how to check fluids (especially oil) is a must. Just like a computer, you dont need to know how to build one or install new parts but you better know how to keep your windowsupdates and antivirus up to date.
sirsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #14
ec437
AF Enthusiast

I made my mom learn how a 5 speed works and what a clutch is, what it does, and why we need it before I would teach her how to drive a stick. It helped quite a bit while I was actually teaching her how.

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 AM   #15
Off_Road
AF Regular

Women were not put upon this earth in order to gain extreme knowledge of automobiles. That’s a man’s job! Women don’t need to know how to drive a car. A man should chauffeur her pretty little self around (especially a college girl) anywhere she would like to go. (cough, cough, my apartment). Women don’t need to know how to open a car door. A man should immediately rush over to open the passenger door for a woman (especially if she’s wearing a short skirt).

In my opinion, women have many more important other matters to deal with and remember beside the mechanical workings of the modern day automobile (e.g. Making sure they look attractive and presentable when the man comes home from work/bar after work. Make sure while at the grocery store shopping for what to make us for dinner that night to pick up some cold beer for hubby/boy friend [Guinness]. Or if she must insist, a nice bottle of wine. Also to make sure the house is clean, the laundry is done, clothing folded and put away.

I believe it would be wrong to put such additional burdens and responsibilities such as maintenance of an automobile upon our women. As Austin Powers would say, YEAHHH BABYYY!!! They have enough to worry about now.

Disclaimer: ---> For women who might take offense to this posting (hoping not and they take it as the humor it is meant to be). But for those women who might take offense send email to SHAGMEBABY@YAHOOMEBABY.COM Thank You.
Off_Road is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences