Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
rhaigh08
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rhaigh08
05 Altima

My friends aunt has an Altima it consumes oil. They went on a 10 hour road trip to god knows where. On the way back the RPMs at 65 mph jumped from 2k up to 4k. My guesses were Transmission issue, throttle position sensor, or a vacuum leak.They did not feel any slipping or hard upshifting or down shifting. The car was idling at 1k RPMS in park which is normal and was fine up to 65 MPH. When they were 1 hour away the car returned to normal at 65 MPH it was running at 2k RPMS. Vacuum Leak is still a possibility. So is the tranny I dont know much about these cars but if anybody has an idea drop me a line. Thanks in Advance.
rhaigh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: 05 Altima

start out by getting a hold of an obd II scanner i guess

<shrugs>

how is the condition of the engine and trans oil now? maybe they need to be changed?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
rhaigh08
AF Regular

There are no engine codes stored. I heard there was a recall on the engine though I will have to get the engine size cause I believe the 2.5 was the recalled one. She claims the trans fluid has been replced
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

[quote]Auto Recall Date: 11/14/2007
Vehicle Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 653910
2005 NISSAN ALTIMA Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.5L ENGINE, THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CAN OVERHEAT CAUSING A BRIEF INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL OUTPUT FROM THE SENSOR.
Defect Consequence:
IF THE INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL FROM THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IS SO BRIEF THAT THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) LOGIC DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO DIAGNOSE THE CONDITION, THE ENGINE MAY STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING WHILE THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN AT A LOW SPEED INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ECM FREE OF CHARGE. CERTAIN MY 2006 ALTIMAS WHICH HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY REMEDIED UNDER RECALL CAMPAIGN 06V223 (NISSAN R0606) ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS RECALL SINCE THE REPROGRAMMING FOR 06V223 ALSO INCLUDED THIS REPROGRAMMING. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 31, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Notes: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.,/QUOTE]
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
rhaigh08
AF Regular

So that can make the engine race? Since then the engine has not repeated this. It has stopped racing at high speeds. Last I heard.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
nissan cat
AF Newbie

i'd say take it to the dealer, my car had high idle for a while, then for a while normal, then all of a sudden could not go past 40 one morning. Trust me from my experience GO TO THE DEALER, its the engine/cat/pcm/power valve-reflashing take care of that beside the consumtion. Again take it to the dealer first, get documentation. All my problems went away with a reflash(and a $3000 rebuild nissan didn't want to pay for, i still dont have a cat-source of oil problem that ecm started!)
nissan cat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima