Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
Lethidox
AF Newbie

Can you drive with fuel injector cleaner to fix cylinder misfire

I tried most of what I could think of.

Changed spark plugs twice
Changed spark plug wires
Changed ignition coil pack

At this point I can only assume it's either the fuel injector is clogged or bad fuel. I added fuel injector cleaner to a pretty full tank already instead of to an empty tank and adding fuel.

I know cylinder 1 is misfiring I can feel the rough idle but when driving it feels okay. Temps seem okay. I don't smell anything bad like Sulphur or fuel.
Lethidox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Can you drive with fuel injector cleaner to fix cylinder misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethidox View Post
I tried most of what I could think of.

Changed spark plugs twice
Changed spark plug wires
Changed ignition coil pack

At this point I can only assume it's either the fuel injector is clogged or bad fuel. I added fuel injector cleaner to a pretty full tank already instead of to an empty tank and adding fuel.

I know cylinder 1 is misfiring I can feel the rough idle but when driving it feels okay. Temps seem okay. I don't smell anything bad like Sulphur or fuel.
I always add cleaners/additives(when necessary) to a half tank or less of fuel at the station, then fill up. That way I know it's mixed in well.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Can you drive with fuel injector cleaner to fix cylinder misfire

Do you have access to a cylinder leakdown tester and air compressor? Your local auto parts store may have one in their load-a-tool program.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #4
Lethidox
AF Newbie

i'd have to buy one. by time it gets to me it probably be maybe 2-3 weeks after purchase. maybe longer due to holiday season. was looking at an engine combustion leak detector kit they don't even have that for sale but they have it to rent which is weird since it looks to be on the cheaper side compared to the cylinder down tester.

as for air compressor we only got the big ones but i'd have to dig around and ask my dad since he uses it for work to spray paint or other stuff like nail gun.

i ended up trying out this STP intake valve cleaner tonight was looking online for fuel injectors/cleaners and what not and yea they are expensive af. read i should replace all at once which would cost around $500 for all 6. so ended up trying the STP intake valve cleaner; tried my best to follow instructions but confused because it said to rev it 3x idle speed but my car doesn't even have RPM's it only reads MPH/KM/h. so i let it run idle as is while spray and put some pressure on the gas to try and open the butterfly a little more ( so i assumed ).

weird though because the light came on this morning and it straight up went to flashing not solid then it went solid maybe a minute or less later. came home same issue. went to flashing again and went right back to solid shortly after. i did not bother to scan though.

going to bring my scanner to work tomorrow figure i need to drive the car around let that intake cleaner maybe work idk and see what happens. even with slight pressure on gas though it stops shaking but if no gas at all it was rough.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Can you drive with fuel injector cleaner to fix cylinder misfire?

The short answer to the initial question is "Yes."

One of the better/more effective formulations I've found is Chevron Techron injector cleaner. It can take a while, but if an injector is flowing at all it can help clean the tip and restore flow and spray pattern.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

If you point a infrared thermometer at each exhaust manifold port, you can pinpoint the suspect cylinder, based on temp differences.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
If you point a infrared thermometer at each exhaust manifold port, you can pinpoint the suspect cylinder, based on temp differences.
You can also spray water on each manifold port and see which one is colder.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
Lethidox
AF Newbie

I used Lucas brand but topped off full tank with it. Finally got it down. To quarter tank. I kind of am assuming it isn't clogged at this point but possibly running rich instead. Can't pin point the damn issue though.

Feels like it isn't getting proper mixture though. Slow ramp up when gassing it and particularly after a decent length stop when I gas it I feel a gurgling.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General