Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Pontiac Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
NJFirebird69
AF Newbie

Pontiac 400 help!

Hello all,
I am a new '69 firebird owner and I had a few questions about the engine it came with. I've positively identified the block as a '74 400 with '74 heads.

Block Code: 481988 E024 YL
Head Codes: 4X-3 and a 4X-4

I know its a mismatch and I really don't care (too much), I'm just looking to have some fun with it.

However, I am interested in doing a little work to the motor and wanted to get a few opinions and pointers. This is my first go at any of this so please bare with my if I am a little slow to respond or to "get" what you are trying to explain to me.

Here's what I know about the things I have.
'69 firebird originally a 350 automatic car.
Came with a '74 400 that is bored 60 over and (2) early 70's th400 trannys that need rebuilds.
The block is completely taken apart and the cylinder walls have very light surface rust in them from sitting. The crank was redone (?) about 15 years ago but the plastic it came back from the shop in was torn and there is now also some mild surface rust on casted surfaces, not on the journal surfaces. I think I have all the parts to put it together but we are still going through everything.
Anyway, I was tossing around the idea of a Stroker kit for this block and wanted to see what the opinions were about that, or if that's even a possibility. I'd also like to have the block decked and the heads shaved. I'm okay with putting a few bucks into the engine but would like to keep things under $3k. I want to have fun building the engine so I don't want to buy a prebuilt block. I am okay searching for parts here and there and do not necessarily need to buy everything from a magazine or online site.

What I am looking to achieve: I want something I can take on the road and sometimes to the track that will have a decent balance of high and low end performance, but leaning heavier towards the torque-y side of things. I want the car to snappy and be very responsive to throttle.

I have to run so I'll post more later, but let me know what you guys think. Open to any ideas and appreciate any and all info!
NJFirebird69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Pontiac Classics