Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Murciélago (Murcielago)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
Alexssssss
AF Newbie

2004 Murci - hints

I consider getting hold of that bull very soon. But is it still the Allmighty with its current 580 bhp? I bet it's got to retire its engine, especially after the introduction of the 500 bhp baby. Hm.. With even some grand tourers like Bentley GT breathing close to its neck it would be quite disappointing to me to go for one current Murci just now. It feels (and shows!) the top cars' herds of horses have already shifted towards 500-something hallmark on the average. So to be the bull again over the next year it just ought to have its 700bhp... But its just my perception and guess. Anyway I naturally try to keep a close eye on what's happening there at the premises. But the only thing the dealer tells for sure they will fit Murci with a steering wheel mounted gear levers (still manual), removing the clutch and the shift on the console.
SO... Does anyone have a clue of what's cookin' there for the coming year?
Thanks
Alexssssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Pringles
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Pringles
I don't think the problem is a lack of power. Underneath, the Murcielago is a really old fashioned supercar based on a chassis design that's at least two decades old. The Murcielago is heavy like no other current supercar and that is a big handicap in terms of performance, so much so that some people suspect the cheaper (and lighter) Gallardo will beat it. I love the older Lamborghini's (especially the Diablo SV and GT) but I think Audi is pushing Lamborghini in the wrong direction. Just my opinion.
Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
lotustt
AF Newbie

Yes when will the Murci get a hp boost? If at all does anyone know or have any ideas?
lotustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
TimSalewsky
AF Enthusiast

I've read that the Gallardo is posting 0-100km times of around 4.2sec. Murcielago is supposed to go 3.6s(some say 3.8s). I don't really know why the power boost is needed other than to beat the Enzo or the Zonda? Saleen even. I've just read some mediocre reviews on the S7 road car by the way which I was suprised by. Anyway, Murcielago is the fasted most powerful car that Lamborghini has ever produced with exceptional handling to boot. And it doesn't quite cost as much as those I have mentioned before either. If you would see an hp gain in the Murcielago it would probably come forth by way of a GT model. And my guess would be that there would be a slight body weight with that addition. But I would think a better idea than to pump the Murcielago's power to 700hp is rather to make a whole new car(while still making the Murcielago of course) in a different class to take on that highest bracket of supercars. Oh yes, the addition of the E-gear option on the Murcielago for next is all I have heard as well. Did you know that on the E-gear there is actually an automatic transmission mode?!!? Crazy!
TimSalewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
spare_me_a_murci
AF Enthusiast

well written.. it's exactly the same perspective as I have! I completely agree!
spare_me_a_murci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
Pringles
AF Enthusiast

The reason Enzo and Zonda are more expensive is mainly due to the processes and materials used in their construction (extensive use of carbon-fibre, etc) and the fact that they are built in very limited numbers.
I have expressed my views before that I think the Murcielago is much too heavy and it's chassis is too old fashioned for it to be put in the same category as the Enzo, Zonda, etc. both in terms of performance and technology. It is still a supercar but there are different levels of "supercar-ness" and the Murcielago is pretty much on it's own right now in a lower category. Please don't think I hate this car or Lamborghini itself. I am a big fan of Countach's and especially Diablo's and I like the Murcielago's looks and although I think it is not aggressive/raw enough for me, at the same time I think it is very elegant and well executed. I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.
If Lamborghini decides to release a hotter version of the Murcielago I am sure they will follow the same philosophy/approach they used with the Diablo SV or GT eg. less weight and maybe a little more power. They would not allow there to be a weight penalty with any addition of power. This car already weighs around 1600kg and there is no reason why extracting more power from the V12 should increase the weight of the car, unless they resorted to forced induction... but that's unlikely. This engine can be tweaked to produce more power with relative ease, same way the 5.7 and 6.0 were tweaked, and still be able to pass all emissions regs, be reliable and be driveable.
In the end I agree with Tim, in that Lamborghini should bring out a whole new car to compete with the Enzo, instead of using the Murcielago as a basis for this purpose. If they decide to do this I personally think Audi should stay out of this one and give Lamborghini the freedom to let their imagination run wild!

Later!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
HASNAZ
AF Newbie

The Diablo SV had 510bhp increased from 492bhp on the older VT. If there will be an SV murcielago it will most likely have an increased bhp but more power and less traction (2wd) may cause people to think twice before buying one. They will probably make a 2wd version available like with the diablo 6.0 litre model (which was lighter by 180kg and had smoother gear changes since there was no viscous coupling of the VT model).
HASNAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
spare_me_a_murci
AF Enthusiast

the 6.0 liter IS 4wd!
spare_me_a_murci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Pringles
AF Enthusiast

2WD Murcielago would have less traction but would weight less also, so from a standing start the 4WD would have an advantage for the first few yards then the 2WD would claw it's way back and pass it. This is assuming they both have the same power output which they probably won't. 2WD should handle better too but will be less forgiving at the limit imo.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
HASNAZ
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Murci - hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_me_a_murci
the 6.0 liter IS 4wd!
The 6.0 was also available as a 2wd upon request however very few were ordered with this option (the price was the same) the only visual difference was the absence of the vt badge on the back.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
tanner07
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2004 Murci - hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by HASNAZ
The 6.0 was also available as a 2wd upon request however very few were ordered with this option (the price was the same) the only visual difference was the absence of the vt badge on the back.

The only 6.0 I know of that lacks a VT badge is the 6.0 SE. Do you have a picture of one of these so-called RWD 6.0s?
tanner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
DiabloGT
Banned

Re: 2004 Murci - hints

yeah, i never heard of it either, i only seen the "lamborghini" on the back of the 6.0 SE and thats all i know of...
DiabloGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:10 AM   #13
HASNAZ
AF Newbie

Old 04-19-2004, 04:13 AM   #14
HASNAZ
AF Newbie

Quote from lambocars.com on the 6.0 litre

"Transmission

4WD transmission based on the well proven "VT" (Viscous Traction) system. The gearbox control lever is in the central tunnel but in an asymmetric position in order to be closer to the steering wheel and guarantee better ergonomics.
Recently I've received information that the Diablo 6.0 can be ordered with rear wheel drive only for the same price as the VT version, naturally this configuration will be more 'fun' to drive if you can handle the power. With this option the Diablo 6.0 will come very close to the experience you'll be able to get driving a Diablo GT, since the GT was only a limited production car, this two-wheel drive option is the closest you'll get when buying a new Diablo".