Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
etroka
AF Newbie

Unhappy Engine Vibration

Hey, I got a small problem. Today i accidentally ran over one of those parking bumps at the back of parking spaces. I scuffed up the bottom of my 2000 BMW 528i. Everything seemed to be okay, under the car there seemed to be just small cosmetic damage. But then i continued to drive my car and there was this vibration whenever i pressed the accelerator and whenever i stopped the vibrating seemed to be a little more severe. Can anyway tell me or give me some hints on what is going on with my car? Any idea how to fix it?
etroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
MrEvil
AF Newbie

Re: Engine Vibration

what about noise associated with vibration, you might want to take a real good look at the oil pan. Is vibration present only when in motion, or when stopped also? Vibration only when moving check driveline/ axles, wheel/ tire. More info would help us help you.
MrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
MrEvil
AF Newbie

I just noticed you said it got worse when stopped, that kind of rules out drive train and wheel/tire problem. I would really look over the undercarriage before I even started it again. Did it hit under the front or rear or both?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
etroka
AF Newbie

it was more of in the middle kinda. It seems like the vibration is coming from the engine and i can't really seem to find out the source of the issue and only when i press the accelerator does the vibration really become noticeable. Any help?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
MrEvil
AF Newbie

Well unless you can get someone to lift your car or drive it over a pit, or you yourself want to crawl under your car, there isn't much I can help you with. The vibration could be caused by so many different things, everything from pinched fuel line, flattened exhaust bent engine cross member, dent in oil pan, dent in trans. inspection cover, dent in trans. pan, the list goes on and on. You get the idea, If this is a serious vibration then I would probably not even start it again until I or someone got a good look at it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Nick07
AF Newbie

If it's rear-wheel drive which I do believe it is, check the drive shaft for bends or dents. They need to be perfectly balanced and if there's a dent it could cause your problem, just an idea
Nick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
etroka
AF Newbie

okay thanks for the help. I am kinda new with cars and not really the type that knows lots about cars. How much do you estimate it would cost to fix a drive train? What are other effects of a dented or dent drive train? I could cross-check the effects in my car and the effects of a damaged drive train? Also, I have already run the car and everything seems to function smoothly as it did before, just the vibration seems to be the problem.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
MrEvil
AF Newbie

It shouldn't cost you anything if you get your car serviced at a dealer or even one of the fast serve oil change outfits. If it is driving ok, just drive on over to your service center and ask them to take a quick look, most will do it for free if you have had service done there before. If they do want to charge you just get a lube and oil change and ask the tech to check out your undercarraige for anything strange. Worst case is you will have to pay for the LOF. Hope this helps. Please let me know what you find out, Im really curious about what they will say. Good luck Dave
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
etroka
AF Newbie

Thanks a bunch. I am going over to check it out today and I will get back to you on what the problem was and what the cost was to fix.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Nick07
AF Newbie

Yeah please share the info, I'm curious too. Especially since my girlfriend drives my cars sometimes, I wanna know what to look for if I get weird vibrations like that. She's the type that wouldn't tell me she backed over something, or not even notice.
Nick07 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series