Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Sentra | 200SX (USDM FWD)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
will1976
AF Newbie

Oil light on with full engine oil

Hello the car is a 1992 sentra E. 1.6L 4 cyl. 200,000 miles. I just changed the oil and the filter. Now the oil light flickers on and off. I have had this car forever and can tell when is sounds low on oil. The dipstick reads full no leaks below the car. I am hopeful it is the oil pressure switch. The car has lost no power or is overheating. Thanks as always for all the help.....
will1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
will1976
AF Newbie

Re: Oil light on with full engine oil

Used to be when you posted here the regulars would post a reply. Or even the occasional lurker. 52 views without a reply? Does this simple post have a touch of the plague...Someone else out here has had this same prob with their car.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
monhwan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1976 View Post
Used to be when you posted here the regulars would post a reply. Or even the occasional lurker. 52 views without a reply? Does this simple post have a touch of the plague...Someone else out here has had this same prob with their car.
Hi, I'm just guessing but problem might be something electrical maybe the dashboard oil light is grounded or old fuses needs to be replaced. But as what you said that the car is in good condition so you really have nothing to worry about.
monhwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
91STT
3SNJ Pres

does the light flicker at idle and at higher revs?
if yes, check the oil pressure switch (located near oil filter, only has 1 wire yellow with green stripe) first with a volt meter with the engine running. Attach the ground probe to the oil pressure switch and the positive probe to a 12V source. If the voltage fluctuates, you either have a problem with the switch or oil pressure. If there is no voltage reading than the problem is most likely in the wiring.
If the voltage fluctuates, you need to use a oil pressure meter to confirm if you have adequate pressure. Proper pressure is 7-27 psi @ idle and 50-64 psi @ 3000 rpm. If your pressure is good, just replace the sender unit. If your pressure is not up to spec, you most likely have mechanical troubles.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
will1976
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for the help. Yes the light does flicker. I will try the test you mentioned Asap. from what I have researched it sounds like the oil pressure switch..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Sentra | 200SX (USDM FWD)