Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #91
Wess-RA
AF Regular

Re: Turning in my man card... I want to make the GTRA quieter... best method?

Patrick-thanks for the info. even the 95Db you were getting won't get me past the sound police at Laguna. If my Suppertapps don't do it I'll give your option a try.

Craig, I have contacted Summit and they are willing to take the mufflers back. Next week however, I'll run Laguna with the blown out Magnaflows in place along with the 5" Supertrapps utilizing 18 disks. The game plan is to start out short shifting while keeping the RPM's under 5K near the meter. As the day progresses I'll bump the RPM's up towards the end of each session. If I get meatballed I'll start removing disks. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but I'll make it the backup plan. I was looking at the Summit website and I couldn't find any of the Dynomax in the 11" case length. That's the size necessary to keep the muffler infront of the jacking tube. Did you find some that length or are you planning on mounting aft of the jacking tube? Does the center entrance and offset exit muffler still utilize the switchback design shown on their website? As you know, they are showing an opposite offset on both ends with the switchback connecting the tubes. I believe you are running more HP than I am, so even if I pass it won't be completely conclusive to your car. I'll let you know the results in a week.

Panoz GTS
Porsche 996 Turbo
Wess-RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #92
boothkc
AF Regular

When I updated the headers on the GTS car Panoz sent out Magnaflows....we got BF'd at Thunderhill for 104db! I had the Flowmasters sent out overnight and we were 95-97db with no power drop (450hp).

Recently saw a GTRA running at Laguna with original exhaust (glass pack) and 12 plate super trap. He was fine, but probably lifted. I got a 98 & 95db black flag in my 07 STOCK GT3 that day w/o lifting!!??

I think I will probably make a Flowmaster system (maybe 2 mufflers) and see if I can get it to 92 for Laguna.

Anyone else with ideas?

Kevin (GTS & GTRA)
boothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #93
Craig245
AF Newbie

This is the DynoMax Super Turbo that I ordered.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They should be here tomorrow. The case is 14 inches and will have to fit behind the jacking tube. I wanted to be sure to pass so I got the quietest muffler and then will ad Supertrap discs as required. If you read the Nor-Cal SAAC article they flatly state that Flow Masters won't cut it, and that the DynoMax Super Turbo may marginally pass. Here is the article, http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/soundadvice.htm.

I won't be at Laguna until Dec 22nd., but I'll write how it goes. 92 dB is QUIET, and hard to achieve!

Craig

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
'65 XKE (newest addition)
Craig245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #94
Wess-RA
AF Regular

Looks like I'll be the guinea-pig the first time out. The weather forecast is good so I'll be there Monday. The Norcal article does state good success with the added benefit of the Supertrapp disks. (although they don't mention the Magnaflows) I think with my combo I'll be really close. My mere 245HP may not be good enough feedback for you guys though.
Kevin-we met at T-hill. Are you going to be at LS on Monday as well?

Panoz GTS
Porsche 996 Turbo
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #95
Wess-RA
AF Regular

Here are the official results with my setup. I metered at 89.1-91.2Db at Laguna Seca. The meter is positioned out of turn 5 on an uphill. I was doing red-line shifts out of 3rd almost exactly in front of the meter. This is a worst case scenario but still passed. You guys with the Windsors may have to either shift a bit early or lift slightly if you utilize the same setup as I did. By the way I ran with 18 disks. You of course, have the option of removing disks if you fail.
Overall the car was a bit anemic at high Revs but it was the price I had to pay to be at this awesome track. Lots of guys were getting meat-balled but I was fine.
There you have it-Craig have a great time on the 22nd-23rd. You should be able to pass-I'd love to hear your feedback as I will still need to swap out my blown out mufflers.

Panoz GTS
Porsche 996 Turbo
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #96
Craig245
AF Newbie

Great news! 18 is a lot of discs. I'm surprised that 1. you didn't need fewer and 2. it still choked the power at higher revs. I'll order another set of 12 discs and then start with the max and go down from there if required. I am receiving the last couple of mandrel bends this afternoon for the exhaust system and should be able to start it up tomorrow to see how it sounds. I'll wait until the neighbor kids are taking their nap....if they don't wake up, I passed.

Craig

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #97
Wess-RA
AF Regular

Craig-the number of disks was recommended by Supertrapp sales. I agree it seems to be more than necessary, in that according to tech support, this number of disks should suffice for an engine producing nearly 400H.P. exhaust flow --per pipe. I was trying for the least back-pressure to start out with, and figured I could always go down if needed for noise. I also was surprised at the loss of high end RPM. I haven't taken my blown out mufflers apart yet and am wondering if there could somehow be a connection. Theoretically the loss of stuffing causes more turbulence in the muffler as the air cavitates in different directions. I'm running at Thunderhill on Saturday without the Supertrapps. I'll get a direct comparison.

Panoz GTS
Porsche 996 Turbo
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #98
Wess-RA
AF Regular

Craig, I just pulled my Supertrapps-once again there was new stuffing packed in between the disks, although not a birds nest like before. That probably explains my top end dropping off. I warmed up the engine in the garage-then reved it up and saw random snowflakes of stuffing flying around my garage. Really weird!
One important item you don't want to overlook: Make sure you bring a small bottle of anti-seize. (with a brush applicator) I watched people having real difficulty getting the screws off of the tips in order to change disk counts. The nuts are locking (they use a dimpling method which really grabs after the pipes have heat-cycled) I used the anti-seize around the pipe where they slip over as well as the screws. The copper colored one that comes with the tips is fine for installation but you will need to re-coat the exposed threads prior to removal. Use a power drill as well. The combo will be the difference between a struggle and a simple job. It may sound obvious but it makes a really big difference.

Panoz GTS
Porsche 996 Turbo
Old 12-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #99
Craig245
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wess-RA
Craig, I just pulled my Supertrapps-once again there was new stuffing packed in between the disks, although not a birds nest like before. That probably explains my top end dropping off. I warmed up the engine in the garage-then reved it up and saw random snowflakes of stuffing flying around my garage. Really weird!
One important item you don't want to overlook: Make sure you bring a small bottle of anti-seize. (with a brush applicator) I watched people having real difficulty getting the screws off of the tips in order to change disk counts. The nuts are locking (they use a dimpling method which really grabs after the pipes have heat-cycled) I used the anti-seize around the pipe where they slip over as well as the screws. The copper colored one that comes with the tips is fine for installation but you will need to re-coat the exposed threads prior to removal. Use a power drill as well. The combo will be the difference between a struggle and a simple job. It may sound obvious but it makes a really big difference.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to be prepared.

Craig

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #100
Craig245
AF Newbie

The new exhaust system is on and it sounds MUCH quieter. 93db....maybe, but I have the supertraps to add if necessary. I tried them at home in the garage but with no load and lower RPM the Supertraps didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe they do at speed. Leaving Sunday for Laguna Seca and the land of the noise police. I hope it passes and that it doesn't rain all day. I think I need to go back and read about towing in the rain, something we don't need to do very often here in SoCal.

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #101
Craig245
AF Newbie

Well, back from Laguna Seca. We got lucky and it only rained lightly for about 10 minutes on Monday. Less lucky on the noise level. With mufflers only I made 95.5 db. I did bring the Supertraps and installed them. (I hate working on the car at the track when you should be driving it.) I took it easy the next time out going up the hill by the sound meter, as it still sounded loud inside the car. Hardly any noticeable change. No black flag. I then started to increase the throttle on the hill every lap until I got to full throttle. Still no flag. The next time I arranged to get the reading and blasted up at full throttle. The reading was 85 db., a full 10 db reduction. I didn't have my extra discs so was using 12 on each side. I was down maybe 100 hp. It was really choked. But, I was able to blast around all afternoon without a hitch. The recommendation was to use a small straight through bullet muffler in front of the DynoMax. With that combination it should pass with some margin and not cost any where near the hp. I ordered these today.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&autoview=sku#

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
Old 07-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #102
MarkMc26
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGTRA17 View Post
Pics of completed exhaust;

Finished outlet after panneling Up;

Outlet prior to Coating;

Right Hand Side:

Start Point:

Well, here we are, 12 years and a pandemic later, and the photo links back in post 32 are all dead. What were the odds? Anyway, are these single passenger-side photos still available anywhere?

I'm building a new exhaust for my LM7-swapped GT-WC, and I'm considering building a crossover to the passenger side, mostly for noise reasons (car currently has Magnaflow 12646 round mufflers, 2.5" ID x 6" OD x 18" long can, dead empty with all packing blown out or otherwise AWOL). There is some room above the bellhousing, between the block and the firewall, although I'd have to use a good bit of heat protection for wiring and the cam position sensor, and I might be introducing a heat problem that doesn't currently exist in the firewall area. Note that I'm making about 30 hp too much for NASA TT3; so, I don't mind dropping a little power via the exhaust (although I'd rather do it on the intake side). I don't run anywhere that has sound restrictions, although I'd rather not have to use hearing protection to keep the tinnitus from getting worse (as I currently do). My previous track beater is a 2004 Mustang GT with 100% factory original exhaust, and was dead silent around Sebring.

The "easy button" is just taking a pair of these $57 Dynomax 17748 Super Turbos and slapping them in the factory dual side arrangement and calling it a day; should be quiet enough. They would be about 48" from the exhaust ports. A more expensive option is a pair of these Borla 401158 truck mufflers at ~$200 each.

I originally planned to run the quieter Flowmasters (Super 50 or 70 series) because they don't have packing to degrade, although they don't flow as well as the Super Turbos and I don't want to roll the dice with doing this again if they are still too loud. And Supertrapp tips are not a desirable option for me, although the "going full stupid" option would be to install a pair of aftermarket high-flow cats from a Mustang X-pipe that has been sitting out back for several years.

Thanks,
Mark
MarkMc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #103
MarkMc26
AF Newbie

Just in case somebody is still reading this thread...

A few months ago, I installed a Dynomax 17748 Super Turbo muffler on the driver's side, to see how well it would work to reduce in-car loudness (but not for track sound restrictions, as I don't have any). This isn't quite the finished product, but it's the closest photo I have.

So, after 2 track weekends and about 200 on-track miles, it was toast. Cracks in the end panels, and nearly all of the fiberglass packing was burned out. Some bracing might have prevented the cracks, but the packing wasn't up to the task of being 36 inches from the exhaust ports.

I cut the muffler open the other day, and this is about 2/3 of the fiberglass packing that was left in it. You can also see the heat discoloration in the metal (I only spray-painted the pipes, not the muffler).

So, for those of y'all installing these mufflers to meet sound restrictions, don't be surprised if you end up blowing the sound meter after a few weekends.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200726-Muffler01a.jpg (156.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20201206-MufflerCrack01a.jpg (127.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20201206-MufflerCrack02a.jpg (127.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20210106-MufflerCutaway01a.jpg (67.9 KB, 26 views)
PGTWC-13 #26, NASA TT3

Last edited by Stealthee; 01-10-2021 at 01:24 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 01-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #104
MarkMc26
AF Newbie

I'm not exactly sure why, but the video link that showed the muffler and its rattling debris (after only 2 weekends and 200 track miles) never made its way into my previous post. Let's see if it works this time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gepRKnHosk

FWIW, I'm now building my own single-side exhaust on the passenger side, with an over-bellhousing crossover from the driver side. I can post pics if anybody still cares.

Mark
PGTWC-13 #26, NASA TT3
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #105
jmarsey
AF Newbie

Sure Mark and good to see some life here. I'll post some pics of the 4-2-1 system I just finished. I thought about a 180deg crossover but would have required modifying the passenger foot box to do a balanced system.

John
2006 GTS Chassis#60 TT1
Husqvarna 701sm & 901
1969 Triumph Daytona
Boss JBL
NASA NorCal Coach - 2012 TTA Champion
jmarsey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS