Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
bikerdr77
AF Newbie

1990 535i overheating

Help members my 1990 535i is overheating. This started after I added coolant to the system about 2 weeks ago. Very slight increase to temp meter (past middle). In the last few days the temp has increased. Coolant level looks good. I have bleed the system as detailed in Bentley manuel. Thermostat seems to work as I get heat in the car and radiator hose at top will get hot. There are no leaks, I lose no coolant. Here is the part I do not get. If I drive the car above 2000 rpms temp decreases. If I idle the temp increases. If I rev motor in park temp decreases. All belts are sound and tight. HELP.

Thanks William
bikerdr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
TheBman69
AF Newbie

Do you think it could be your fan clutch...happeded to me on a 3series.
Just a guess.....

Bman
TheBman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
billerica
AF Newbie

If it is cooling down when moving it is clear that the radiator is not getting enough air at idle. I would agree that the fan clutch is a likely cause. What bothers me is that you said it started right after you added coolant. I would also check the belt. Perhaps it is a bit loose and perhaps you spilled coolant on it that added to the problem.

RR
billerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
kbrown528I
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kbrown528I Send a message via Yahoo to kbrown528I
Exact Same Problem

I had the exact same problem, they started with the fan clutch, then they went to the thermostat, then they changed the valve covers and head gasket to find out when they were done It had a Cracked Block. I have the warranty which saved me a ton of $$$$$$. I should get it back next week.
This was all done by BMW. I am not trying to scare you but I am trying to make you aware before you start dumping alot of money to find out it was the Block all the time.
kbrown528I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
KC Ron Carter
AF Enthusiast

co2 tester

co2 or carbon dioxide tester is the quick way to find a internal leak.

How to Test for Combustion Gasses in Your Coolant

You can use a "Block Tester" to chemically determine whether there is exhaust gas in your coolant. These "Block Testers" are sold by NAPA stores for approximately $45.00. The quote I got from my local NAPA dealer was $45.99. He didn't have it in stock, but said he could have it the next day. The relevant NAPA catalog is called "The PSA 2000 catalog" or the "Balkamp Catalog". The catalog calls the Block Tester a "combustion leak tester kit", so that's probably what you should ask for. From what I understand, it comes with a ball, tubes, test fluid, aspirator bulb and engine adapter (cone shaped device you place in your radiator filler cap). If there's exhaust in your coolant the test fluid changes color.

http://www.misterfixit.com/headgskt.htm

Later,

KC Ron Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
zacaudri
AF Newbie

Re: co2 tester

I would like to know if that tester is portable and also can give me the amount of PPM of CO2 at the exhaust. If you want you can answer me on my email.

thank
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Ron Carter
co2 or carbon dioxide tester is the quick way to find a internal leak.

How to Test for Combustion Gasses in Your Coolant

You can use a "Block Tester" to chemically determine whether there is exhaust gas in your coolant. These "Block Testers" are sold by NAPA stores for approximately $45.00. The quote I got from my local NAPA dealer was $45.99. He didn't have it in stock, but said he could have it the next day. The relevant NAPA catalog is called "The PSA 2000 catalog" or the "Balkamp Catalog". The catalog calls the Block Tester a "combustion leak tester kit", so that's probably what you should ask for. From what I understand, it comes with a ball, tubes, test fluid, aspirator bulb and engine adapter (cone shaped device you place in your radiator filler cap). If there's exhaust in your coolant the test fluid changes color.

http://www.misterfixit.com/headgskt.htm

Later,
zacaudri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
nspctrguy1
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 535i overheating

nspctrguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series