Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
snakecan2
AF Newbie

05 Dodge 2500 hicupped... then dead few months later.. fuel inj pump and rtrn valve

This might help others that run into this problem or similar.
the Fuel injector pump cp3t might as well call it the R2D2 and return valve had to get replace.. fortunately still covered under diesel engine warranty, not powertrain 7/70k. truck has 77,600 miles.

about 3 months ago, driving on highway and engine hicupped. tac dropped about 3-500 rpm.. kept on going, about 1 minute later did the same thing.. great going to die in the middle of nowhere in the middle of night..
made it home didnt do it again..

air filter needed to be replaced so replaced it.. diesel mechanic told me not probable but can cause that is filter is comletely plugged up..

about 1 month later, did it again.. wow, just filed up and thought bad fuel.. so replaced fuel filter, about time anyways.. everything else looked good, got back to adding fuel additive regularly.

this friday had to do a quick job before loading up for a youth hunt.. well didnt make it farther than 1000 yards from driveway.. it just died and nothing would get it started. i could still hear the clicking from the fuel pump trying to build up pressure.. full tank of gas..

from the forum and others, fuel pump not likely culprit..
not experienced with diesels and hearing that injector pump is covered under diesel engine warranty, send it to the dealership and hope i dont get the short end of the stick.

*** but the hicupp or vehicle stalling ( only momentarily) is what had me thinking it was a fuel or electronic problem. all guages worked ok, no engine codes, no check engine light, no temp or oil guage issues. **

hopefully this can help someone in the future. I talked to the mechanic at the dealership working on my truck.. there warranty lady is a stickler so he will be cleaning out the fuel filter houseing.. since it is nasty.. advises filter because he did pull out an impeller blade that broke off. and hopes that nothing gets into the injectors themselve.

oh and of course the dealership want to make money by recommended all kinds of service. but the following are under consideration.

replace fuel filter--- injector failed can send particles back into tank (not sure but ok)
and
Flush out injector pumps.. well if they go out that is an expensive repair.. will have someone other than dealership do that.

Last edited by snakecan2; 11-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
snakecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 05 Dodge 2500 hicupped... then dead few months later.. fuel inj pump and rtrn val

Thanks for the info.
The CP3's on the Common Rails have historically been very good...maybe a bad one got through the inspections.
One issue that also shows up on the web every great once in a while is a broken injector....it'll flood a cylinder with fuel then that fuel will get past the piston rings and contaminate the engine oil, ruining the bearings and crankshaft. It manifests itself as a dead cylinder miss and lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe. Shutdown and a $75 ride on the rollback to the shop is less expensive than a shortblock replacement.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Re: 05 Dodge 2500 hicupped... then dead few months later.. fuel inj pump and rtrn val

Most of the time you see this on the VP44 not the CP3.
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
2004-2008 Ford Master Certified Technician
fordtrucksonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

The VP44 can be a tricky piece. Mine got hard to start. After starting it ran just fine...I just couldn't keep using ether to start the engine.
A rebuilt VP fixed it and I enjoyed the job but it was expensive.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10