Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
4zstracker
AF Newbie

Dizzy Timing

Hey there.

Im doing a heart transplant in one of my trackers. I ran into a problem, and cant quite seem to work it out. So I was wondering if any body could help me out.

What happened was the distributor housing was broken on the engine I am swapping in. So naturally I put another one on. But I cant quite seem to get the timing right. It just wont fire up.

Does anyone know the procedure for setting Distributor timing?

Oh, by the way this is for a 96, 1.6L. The swap seemed to go ok, but now it wont turn over. it acts like it wants to, but it just wont.

Thanks in advance.
4zstracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
4zstracker
AF Newbie

Re: Dizzy Timing

Well I have tried to reset the timing various times. The static timing between the cam and the crank is correct, and the distributor seems to be about right too. It gets spark, and it seems like its at the right time, so I am beggining to think that its something else.

This afternoon I did a compression check. Cylinder #1 was at 80 psi, #2 @ 125 psi, #3 @ 120 psi, and #4 @ 125. The compression pressures shouldn't vary any more than 5%. So would that low number on #1 cause it to not run at all?
4zstracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
ponyracer
AF Newbie

Is it getting fuel? I know this may be a stupid question but I didn't see anything mentioned about it. What happens when you spray starting fluid in the intake while cranking? If it runs, I suspect fuel delivery problem. Also try rotating the distributor back and forth slowly until it it starts.
ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
hammer_76
AF Newbie

where do you have the distributer pointing? If you have tried it t.d.c. on no#1 and not working try no#4
hammer_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
ranger88den
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zstracker
Well I have tried to reset the timing various times. The static timing between the cam and the crank is correct, and the distributor seems to be about right too. It gets spark, and it seems like its at the right time, so I am beggining to think that its something else.

This afternoon I did a compression check. Cylinder #1 was at 80 psi, #2 @ 125 psi, #3 @ 120 psi, and #4 @ 125. The compression pressures shouldn't vary any more than 5%. So would that low number on #1 cause it to not run at all?
Compression is low, but my 95's 16v is lower and still runs, just a rough idle.
As suggested, if you think timing is right try starting fluid. Re: timing - With #1 cylinder @ TDC, align timing mark on crank pulley to 0 on timing indicator, position rotor to #1 cylinder position on dist. cap, drop in dist. Good luck
ranger88den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
divot91
AF Newbie

YES, try to set the distributor at the #4 post, dont make sence 2 me but it work for me : )
divot91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
oeldisplay
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to oeldisplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by divot91
YES, try to set the distributor at the #4 post, dont make sence 2 me but it work for me : )
thats because when the distributor was mounted it was 180 degrees off so by turning it, basically 180 off it is now correct.

i did it on my baja bug when i rebuilt the engine!
oeldisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
vda@earthlink.net
AF Newbie

If you have a 96 engine in a 96 chassis could be any one of a lot of computer issues. If you are getting spark and compression at TDC then it has to be fuel - there isn't anything else left. I have one of these, and you can find the timing by guess if you have too. If you don't have a book, you will need one, especially with the ODBII stuff. I recommend Haynes and a basic knowledge of physics, computers, and electrical systems. Minus any of that, get the expensive book. Good Luck.
vda@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker