Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Gilmore03
AF Newbie

few questions before painting

Whats up. I plan on painting my rx-7 in the spring...I just wanted to know a few things before i actually went on with this.

What are some good companys to buy from? I dont have any House of Kolor distributors near me. If im going to paint my car im not going with any cheap products at all.

What are the best primers/sealers/bases/clears? Ive been reading alot about polyurethane/epoxy/laquer ect. What are the best to use and why?

Also sanding...The last coat of primer and last coat of clear are the only layers that have to be sanded correct? 320 primer 2000 clear?

How long should i wait until spraying the next coat of primer/sealer/base/clear?

Im sorry if these question has been asked before, but im in a rush and just typed this very quickly. I dont get a chance to jump of teh comp often
Gilmore03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
WDELOAD
AF Newbie

Re: few questions before painting

i prefer Nason paint because it looks good and its a lil cheaper than dupont..
Primer- 421-20
Sealer- Paint will recomend one if needed
Bases- When u buy ur paint just say Nason based and your fine
Clear- Id recommend 497-00

Sand with 320 than primer, wait a couple hours(i usually wait till the next day) than wet sand the primer with 400.. after ur done with all that u can spray sealer.. one to two coats should be good, wait about 10 min. between coats.. after that spray paint, 2-3 coats is plenty, allow about 10 minutes between coats... than 2-3 coats of clear, spray this about 15 minutes after you have sprayed paint, with 10-15 minutes between coats.. When ur done if u have orange peel and dust you can sand it with 1500 or 2000 and buff it out.. if u have any runs in the car u have to cut and buff it...

Good Luck
WDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

ok, i really like PPG products...
Primer - K36
Sealer- K36 (different mixing ratio)
Base- whatever color you want
Clear- use PPG's 2021 clear. (comes out great)

dont sand the sealer, sand the 3 coats of primer surfacer. also 320 grit is too course and there is a good chance of sand scratch swelling. final sand the surfacer with 400 wet. seal and then spray base directly over that within 24hrs. spray the clear and wait at least a day before wet sanding.... start with 1000 wet, then do it again with 1500 and final with 2000 wet... than buff and the clear will look like glass. PPG recommends 2 coats clear, but i like to spray 3-4. good luck and spend A LOT of time preping the car first, if any part of the prep is screwed up the final job will look like ass.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
WDELOAD
AF Newbie

Re: Re: few questions before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblurr93
ok, i really like PPG products...

spend A LOT of time preping the car first, if any part of the prep is screwed up the final job will look like ass.

Never used that(pricey? hows it looks?)

Definitly do a good job on the prep.. u can have the best sprayer in the world with crappy prep work and it will still look like shit..
WDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

gee.. that quote sounds awful familiar....lol anyway, yes i think PPG makes some of the best products for paint... and yes you pay for the quality, but they also have a lower line called "OMNI" also made by PPG that doesnt have as big a selection of toners but is still a great quality.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Re: Re: few questions before painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblurr93
i think PPG makes some of the best products for paint...
agreed!

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics