Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
ronnyvous1
AF Newbie

Yet another exhaust question...

Have a new '05 QC 1500 w/hemi, thinking about a Cat back system, when I searched this forum I saw a lot of bickering but few solid answers.

I don't want to go with straight pipes, I did that on other vehicles and while it sounded tough, the lack of back pressure was evident in performance.

I don't want to go to the local muffler-o-rama and have a cobbled up experiment done on my truck, been that route before, too.

I want a bolt on, plug and play system from a reputable manufacturer that will get a little more sound and a little added performance. If I want to hear that old Mopar "blat" and smoke tires, I'll fire up the '64 426 wedge. I just want to have a hemi that sounds a bit more like a hemi oughta, without losing all the bass in the stereo, and drag the trailer around a little better!

Thanks for your input.
ronnyvous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
imtheoneandonlyD
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to imtheoneandonlyD
Re: Yet another exhaust question...

well i would say dont pay for a name and goto an exhaust shop and have them do the exhaust. I think its pointless to spend hundreds on a cat back system. I paid about 6-700 for my FULL exhaust, thats headers to tips.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Cat-back systems don't make any sense to me.

Just leave it alone already.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
john4.7
AF Newbie

Cat back systems are nice because they reduce backpressure without reducing it too far so as to lose perfromance. Sound is a matter of opinion but I think the best is flowmaster, especially for dodges. You should be able to get a 3" system. Team that with an intake.
john4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
softailFXST2004
AF Newbie

I also want my 2005 hemi to sound like a Hemi. The problem is if you put and exhuast on without letting the dealer do it you void your warrentty!!! Thats what Dodge told me! And I'm not ready to do that just yet! Check with your dealer if you care about the drive train warrentty that is.Let me know what they said.Im working on the exhaust for my 96 ram now...I used to have a system on it when I bought it used that was srtaight pipes with 2 baffled tips on the ends ( like 12 to 15 inches) for back pressure. The system worked and sounded awsome until it rusted and fell off that is ...now I'm looking for something simaler...maybe you could try it....anyway let me know what you do and how it sounds if you chose to modify the exhaust.
Good Luck!!
softailFXST2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
imtheoneandonlyD
AF Enthusiast

Exhaust will not void your warrenty, they have to prove the "mod" caused a part failure. Sorry but allowing your engine to breathe is only helping it.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
2000mudder
AF Enthusiast

yes!!! a cat back system will NOT void any waranty!!! as far as performance, a cat back system designed for your vehicle is tested for performance, therfore, you get performance!!!
2000mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

It seems like most people don't know what they're getting exhaust for. It's one of two things, sometimes both. Some want the sound, and some want the performance gain. You can get both at the same time.

I saw this on another forum. imtheoneandonlyD will know of this one, I saw him there. I was reading about exhaust at this dodge talk place. Anyways, no names mentioned but one example I saw was where one guy was talking about putting headers on, and then putting a single Magnaflow cat into I think a Flowmaster muffler or something. Now does that make any sense? Is there anything to be gained by that? I don't think so. That's not even my opinion that's just science. Do people have too much money these days or what? These guys could achieve the same thing with a 10 dollar exhaust tip.

And everyone swears by catback systems. Mufflers with 2 outlets. Or headers into one cat into mufflers with 2 outlets. Don't bother.

I had my '99 Dodge out this summer, before it got fucked up. This guy with a newer Chevy at the gas station was like "when did you get the straightpipes?" and I was like "I got my DUAL MUFFLERS yesterday". I guess it might be louder than some of those Chevies with straightpipes. That's just the way it is, right?

I don't really like to give my opinion about exhaust anymore, just to save argument. I will give my opinion if I'm asked though.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #9
imtheoneandonlyD
AF Enthusiast

With my 99 i had shorty headers-Magnaflow HF cat-then NO MUFFLER to 4 inch tips. Now yes with my 03 hemi i do have a magnaflow muffler. Thats because with no muffler i would get the cops harassing me like i had with the 5.9. I fixed the quiet muffler with an exhaust cutout right after the cat so i can get a nice loud rumble when i want it. If you want a cat back system just send me your money and we'll call it even. Going cat-back is just for looks.....and waste of money.

If you think freeing up the exhaust involves a cat back with muffler then im sorry. i dont care what muffler it is.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
2000mudder
AF Enthusiast

cat backs are dyno proven to produce more horsepower!!! a complete header back dual will of course produce more but they are still both proven performance enhancers!!!
2000mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #11
imtheoneandonlyD
AF Enthusiast

SWEET I can pay hundreds for a name brand cat back system which will net next to nothing in HP. GOOD JOB!!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10