Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Road & Track
View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
Infiniti Q45 41 75.93%
Lexus LS430 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:18 PM   #46
moe182
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
that's why BMW & Mercedes were so scared of Lexus when the LS400 came out... because it had more features and it had the most quiet ride of any car

I think Lexus proved itself with that car..... I would say Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar are the majore luxury competitors
and then Audi and Infiniti are just under (even though the gaps are closing)

and it doesn't matter that lexus is only like 15 years old cause Lexus doesn't make the cars, that's just another name for Toyota... and how old is Toyota?! pretty old, i think. Toyota has proven themselves as a good company, so sayin that lexus is too new to be good isn't true because toyota has almost as much history as the german boys

like me myself, i like BMW better than Lexus.... but lexus is damn close, and i can't lie and say that the LS430 is worse than a 740i...

oldsmobile is around a 100 years old, that doesn't proove anything to me... doesn't mean their car is better than lets say Honda
You always say that the Lexus had "more features" but like what? and even if it did have a quieter ride i doubt it was by much...also ture Toyota HAS been around for a long time...but they were bulding econo sports and family cars nothing in the high-end lux market. So really lexus/toyota has only been building the lux cars for two generations (since 89 or 90).... also you cant (at least not while being fair) compare the last generation 7 series to the latest generation LS..... youd have to compare it to the 745i or the S430 (short wheelbase)....
Old 10-04-2001, 11:26 AM   #47
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
It doesnt matter that lexus is new. I mean, they get good engineers who have probably worked for MB, BMW, Jaguar, et al, and they make a car. The younger the company, the older the company, it doesnt matter anymore, IMO.

And I also think Lexus competes with everyone, even rolls-royce (Its almost as good, better in some respects, and is cheaper. That wont matter to some, or even me if I had that much money, but its true.)
Old 10-04-2001, 02:51 PM   #48
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
It doesnt matter that lexus is new. I mean, they get good engineers who have probably worked for MB, BMW, Jaguar, et al, and they make a car. The younger the company, the older the company, it doesnt matter anymore, IMO.
good answer, that's what i was thinking

and didn't Toyota make the same lexus cars under the Toyota name in Japan? like i mean i'm sure that toyota made atleast a few lux cars that were under the Toyota name (before lexus)
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 06:01 PM   #49
moe182
AF Enthusiast

Well those are your opinions, and i respect them....i just dont agree with them.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:39 PM   #50
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by moe182
Well those are your opinions, and i respect them....i just dont agree with them.
and i respect yours.... but i don't agree with them

I just think Lexus easily runs with, if not beats the german boys

actually... lets see

3-series vs. IS300: i'd take the 3-series
5-series vs. GS400: I'd take the 5-series
7-series vs. LS430: hmmm..... this is tough... i think i'd go for the Lex
M-Roadster vs. SC430: hard to compare, but both are open top... I'd easily take the SC430
X5 vs. RX300: I'd take the X5

lexus also has the ES300 and LX470 that bmw doesn't have a competitor for
so you see it's really close, but i prefer bmw just cause i like german cars
at this point it's all about preference, cause they're both so good
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:17 AM   #51
moe182
AF Enthusiast

Yea i think Bmw is going to release something to compete with the LX470.....the X7 i dont know if they still are, but last i heard it was a maybe.....
Old 10-05-2001, 09:34 PM   #52
fahoumh
AF Newbie

BMW has a X5 4.6i....it's a lot more expensive than the 4.4i

and for the record: NOTHING competes with Bentley and Rolls Royce
Full OEM Underbody Kit
fahoumh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 05:25 PM   #53
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by fahoumh
and for the record: NOTHING competes with Bentley and Rolls Royce
This discussion has been moved here.

Back to Lexus vs. Infiniti...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:32 AM   #54
howard_w13
AF Enthusiast

The Q45 from day one tried to be different. It's a shame that it didn't get the respect and prestige that it truly deserves. I have always liked the Q45. The '94-'96 model with the chrome grill added such an elegant touch. As for the new Q, I only have a problem with the front styling, but that can be easily fixed. I would get some real dark headlight covers and I would also try to change the grill and get something more less radical. Everything else on the Q is simply perfect. Oh, I forgot, I have to win the lottery first. =(

:coolguy: :coolguy:
howard_w13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:48 PM   #55
LiuBei
AF Regular

The Lexus LS 430 is the best car made today. Want some reasons why? Contact me, I have all the info
Old 12-31-2001, 10:32 PM   #56
Jason B
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jason B
Looks like the Q won the vote!

Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:23 AM   #57
confusious
AF Newbie

Q45 any day

I would choose the Q45 over the ls430

Heres some info about infiniti and the q45

(got this info on a website)

On location in Miami, Florida

So we get off the plane in Miami feeling like Batman must've felt before test-driving his Batmobile. We knew we were on a special mission when we "had" to go down there to test drive Infiniti's new 2002 Q45.

Not only was Miami's air humid, but redemption was in it. You see, back in 1991 Infiniti's flagship Q45 was ahead of its time. A DOHC alloy V-8 breathing through 32 valves and displacing 4.5 liters with 278 bhp on tap, the car was about serious performance. When you threw in amazing build quality and a plethora of features, there were a few out there who knew how special this car was ...yet the mainstream luxury market for perhaps hundreds of reasons chose the Lexus LS400.

As the 90s progressed, Infiniti made the Q45 into a softer and gentler car by adding wood trim, a more conservative front grille, and lots of exterior chrome trim. By then, Infiniti had lost itself and, on top of everything, sales didn't touch the LS400.

Still without any collective insight, Infiniti decided throw away the sporty image of the Q45 and released a redesigned 1997 Q45. It was more conservative in nature and resembled more American luxury car than any foreign prestige brand. Besides that, it now had a weaker 4.1 liter engine, less brand equity, and the door handles, radio, and buttons were sourced from the Nissan parts bin. For enthusiasts, there were no reasons left to drive a Q, except that no one else had one.

To keep up with luxury car trends, Infiniti eventually added some features to the 99-01 Qs -- Xenon HID lights, the analog clock made it's way back, and electronically controlled suspension. Minimalists offerings but nothing breakthrough.

We can only imagine everyone who was responsible must've been a little peeved and embarrassed. Not only did Infiniti sell its soul with the Q45, but all it got in exchange were lessons that came with a price tag that didn't make any sense. It wasn't anyone's fault in particular, but that was part of the problem. In the end, everyone sort of just scratched their heads at the lackluster results, went home for dinner and came to work the next day.

But the reality was Infiniti was bleeding at the gut. From an entrepreneurial standpoint there was no reason to even stay in business. The Xterra alone was many times more profitable than the entire Infiniti line.

Desperation eventually ushered in new voices, thus a new breath of life at Infiniti. Baby boomer managers had to juice up their ambition and imaginations to grasp new and developing trends in the automotive luxury market. There would be no more attempting to follow the perceived industry leader, Lexus. Infiniti needed to pave it’s own road to success.

In the end, there are two main Unique Selling Points of the new Q45:

The 2002 Q45 may very well be the beginning of that departure. With 340 horses underneath the hood, Infiniti raises the bar on power in the premium luxury market. The LS430 has 290, which is 50 less horses in the stable. Ouch.

Then there's the gorgeous interior with the 6-inch LCD monitor (7-inches for those who opt for the navigation system) For the first time, the interior of an Infiniti surpasses Lexus. Highlighting the list is standard speech recognition - allowing hands free control of the audio, climate control, and navigation systems. Then add an array of amenities with some of the finest leather seats we've sat on. All this make the cabin quite the cocoon for any who needs time to think. Powerful stuff, indeed. We'll take it personally if Infiniti doesn't show off this interior in their TV ad spots.
Performance
As we mentioned earlier, the first gen Q45s were performance oriented -- though both the first and second gen sported the V-8 VH series engines. The first generation enjoyed the benefits of a muscular 4.5 liter VH45DE engine. The second generation was demoted to a 4.1 liter VH41DE. Mind you regardless of year, the VH engines were smooth and torquey. But for a totally new car, you need a totally new engine.

Witness Nissan's new 4.5 liter V-8 VK45DE. Similar in design to Nissan's much vaulted V-6 VQ series engines, the VK45DE is all aluminum alloy with DOHC and 32 valves. This engine allows features variable length air induction system, continuously variable valve timing control system, titanium valves, modular cylinder heads, microfinished crankshaft, lightweight pistons, super-silent single stage cam drive chain and a hydraulically driven cooling fan (powered by the steering system - allowing for low noise and power loss). All of this technology and craftsmanship is good for a velvety smooth 340 bhp @ 6,400 rpm and 333 ft-lbs of torque @ 4,000 rpm.

Our editors have driven the likes of the Lexus GS400, BMW 540i, and Mercedes E430 Sport. The Merc and even the GS400 doesn't hold a dime to the new Q. The new Q excels in back country roads, especially in sport trim with 18" wheels/tires and active damping suspension. The 540i only when optioned with the Sport Suspension fares well against the Q. However then the 540’s ride tends to suffer on bad roads whereas Infiniti has done a great job of balancing ride comfort and handling.

The smooth shifting 5 speed automatic (another first for Infiniti) works in tandem with the V-8 to produce seamless and quiet acceleration so that you forget how fast you're going until you look at the speedometer. Our editors enjoyed the flexibility of the manual-shifting mode but missed the instantaneous action offered by a true manual transmission. Still the manumatic mode held gears until near red line and could shave off a few seconds on a road course track.

True to its flagship high tech totem pole status, the Q gets vehicle dynamics control (a sophisticated form of traction control) paired up with limited slip differential so you can toss it around corners. Even then the Q’s suspension is amazingly supple and soaks up bumps and ruts in the highways.

Braking performance is on par with it's competitors boasting large four wheel vented discs, ABS (of course), electronic brake distribution (EBD), and mechanical/electronic braking assist. The latter senses when the driver is attempting to brake quickly and helps to apply more braking force.

Design
When we first saw the new Q introduced last year, we were pleasantly surprised. The new Q had an aggressive stance especially with it's prominent Infiniti logo on the front grille. We admire the lines of its beefy beltline. We notice a hint of the new S class in the profile.

The rear also grew on us and we came to appreciate it when driving behind another 2002 Q45 on the highway.

Exterior
It has been hinted by some Infiniti insiders that a certain famous European design studio had an early role in the design of the new Q, but those rumors have not been substantiated and remain just that. No one can deny, however, that the new Q isn't a knockout. Officially, the lead designer was Mamoru Aoki who designed the last generation 300ZX, a timeless classic. Kudos we say to whoever dreamt up the machine-gun xenon HID headlights - which we must say, are pretty damn cool.
Interior
The car has a large center pod where the air conditioning, radio, and (in certain trims) the navigation system are integrated with a large LCD display. The buttons look of high quality plastic and have a nice tactile feel. The system operates with a cursor based buttons (like a the cursor buttons on a DVD player), thus it's not touch screen based - which we think is great considering all the oily finger prints normally associated with one. It may need a bit of time to adjust to - but we think it has an acceptable level of intuitiveness that we were able operate all the features within a few hours.

As soon as we sat in the driver's seat, we realized how gorgeous the electro-illuminescent gauges were. Sharp and clear with very little wash out even in the bright Florida sun. The rest of the interior is attractive with high quality leather, soft touch plastics and cloth-covered pillars lending a European touch. We preferred the lighter interiors to the black interior.

The Q comes with standard features such as dual zone climate control, wood trim (especially gorgeous in the bird's eye maple), one touch automatic windows (up and down), one touch sunroof, two position memory seats, retained power to close windows after taking the key out, tilting and telescoping power steering column, electronic key with remote entry, and auto dimming rear view mirror. Forgive us if we've left anything out as the Q enjoys a full list of gadgetry making it tough for mere mortals to keep track of.

The standard voice recognition system worked well when asked to turn off the climate control, to raise or lower the temperature, and to change radio stations. We’d like to spend a bit more time with the system to see how often we normally use it after the “neat feature” phase passes.

Optional are the DVD navigation system and active damping sport suspension
(not quite as sophisticated or costly to fix as the first gen Q45a). There's also a premium package, which includes reclining rear seats with audio and heating controls, power rear sun shade, plus the navigation and sport suspension thrown in. And the coolest feature of this package is the tail-mounted camera, which automatically activates when the transmission is shifted in reverse.

Annoyances
Power window buttons are buried below the door handles. The sunglass holder looks down market with hard plastic and unfinished edges

The ceiling grab handles are the old-school carrying case style and not the smooth auto-adjusting style. Nitpicking some might say, but VW even has silicon dampened grab handles. The trunk has gooseneck hinges. Should have been struts we say but at least they covered up the metal hinges with some nice plastic.

Audio System
The new Q boasts a 300-watt Bose system with 8 speakers and digital signal processing. Just hype? While it may not be the best factory system, the Bose system is certainly in the top percentile with good definition and clean sound at loud levels. Three 2.5" midrange speakers sit on top of the dash. Two 6.5" woofers are located on the front doors with 5.25" full range speakers in the rear door. A 12" woofer (wow!) and a digital amplifier sit inside the rear shelf. Bose touts it's Audio Pilot system, which samples the sound within the cabin and adjusts the amplifier to compensate for road and wind noise.

We were yearning for an in dash CD player instead of the 6 disc glove compartment changer but you could overlook that once you spend a bit of time appreciating the system.

Overall
The new Q is quite impressive. The car has an enviable list of performance and luxury features for it's $50,500 base price tag, undercutting the competition by a few thousand dollars. The car takes risks in styling but pays off big time in communicating a distinctive message to those who see the car and, more importantly, those who get a chance to drive it. Enough justification, we think, to earn the car a hard-to-earn superhero vehicle status. After all, anyone who pays 50k for personal transportation should be able to experience these sort of manic feelings about themselves when driving. Otherwise, what's the point?

End

Infiniti and nissan are coming up with a new car lineup
check it out at

infinitihelp.com
confusious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:44 PM   #58
confusious
AF Newbie

I found this also. Its an interview. it might help you understand what infiniti is now going for...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infiniti's new tag line, Accelerating the Future, marks a new direction and velocity for Nissan's luxury brand. Infiniti has just released a radically new Q45 and stylishly souped I35. Also two new SUVs, a full size SUV and a smaller crossover based on the FX45 were announced at the New York Auto Show. Don't forget the XVL concept based sports sedan and possibly another even sportier rear wheel drive sedan.

All these new additions to the family require a rethinking of values. Speeding towards a new path and future requires a new leader. Recently appointed to the position of Infiniti Vice President and General Manager is Mark McNabb. He is a long time veteran of Nissan since 1986; his most recent job was Director of Operations for the Nissan Division. Catch a glimpse of the inside track at Inifniti...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're genuinely curious. What's does your typical day look like? What's it like to work at Infiniti?

I don't believe the first few weeks are typical days. My whole objective for the time being is to immerse myself in the Infiniti business. This means that I need to meet with dealers, regions and division people quickly to assess where the division is going. It is also an unusual time at the division as we launch the Q45. Much of my time for the next several weeks is getting the message out to the dealerbody and press on this important new car.

According to your official bio, we noticed that you haven't be involved with the Infiniti dealer network but more with the Nissan channel. Is that an advantage or disadvantage?

I have never worked directly for Infiniti in the states, but have had some exposure to the brand when I was working in Japan. I like the fact that I have not had significant experience with the brand. To me that is an advantage. I truly like the fact that I have a fresh set of eyes looking at the division. No preconceived notions, no bias, just a fresh perspective on the business. This allows me to blend the best of Infiniti with some of the strengths of Nissan.

Infiniti is undergoing some drastic changes. They have some pretty dramatic products coming out, including the new FX45, the new Q, the XVL and the new full size Infiniti SUV. These are all exciting cars, but we're a little curious about the managing of the Infiniti Brand. Someone would say it lacks the prestige of Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW. What's Infiniti going to do about this deficiency in their vehicles social status?

There are dramatic changes going on with the Infiniti Division, and obviously product plays a key role. I would, however, be remiss if I didn't mention that the FX45 is currently a show car. In addition, there has been no announcement on a full size SUV for the Infiniti division. (Editor's Note: This interview was conducted a few weeks before the New York Auto Show - where the FX45 and full size SUV were officially announced for production.)

We are currently redefining our brand from top to bottom. Every dealer, every dealership employee and every Infiniti employee will be trained on the new brand position. Obviously product will lead the charge, but just as important will be the way we go to market.

I think our distance from the other marquees may not be as great as you infer. Lexus is a young brand like us and together we redefined customer handling. We have an excellent dealer body and outstanding customer relationship. Once we add all the new exciting product, I think our marquee value will rise quickly.

There seems to be an opportunity initially pricing vehicles lower. Of course, much like Lexus did in the beginning it is possible to put great cars in the market at a significant lower price and capture more market share initially. At this point in Infiniti's history a great deal is at stake. With these new and exciting products, what's Infiniti's short and long term pricing strategy?

While it is true that Lexus initially priced its vehicles lower to capture market share, it should also be noted that Lexus' big jump in terms of sales volume came from the addition of vehicles in new segments. If you look at Lexus over the past several years, its largest sales increase came as a result of the RX300. That model added over 100,000 units annually. Also, we intend to make it clear that Infiniti will deliver outstanding vehicles at a fair market price. We are pricing the vehicles to sell as suggested. Product that the driving enthusiast desires does not need discounts or incentives to sell. It sells on its merits.

Infiniti's pricing strategy has not changed. We simply price to market.

When it comes to product line-up, the G20 seems to be a product with some potential. However, it seems to be a weak link in the Infiniti brand.

The G20 is an excellent value and a very attractive product. We are currently introducing the new 2002 version. This product has done well for us. Admittedly we would like more horsepower in it and this will be considered as we determine what to do next.

There are rumors about a 400 hp q45. What can you tell us about that?

That sounds like an exciting vehicle. Not sure where you heard this rumor. At this time, there is not a 400hp Q45 for me to announce or sell. But I certainly like the idea.

Is it true that the Porsche studio in Europe did some of the early design development for the Q45?

No.

When it comes to technology, Infiniti has announced plans that it wants to be the leader in innovation. How long before we see Infiniti vehicles with satellite radios, MP3 players, internet and e-mail capabilities? Will Infiniti be first?

Infiniti certainly looks to the future. Our new tag line - Accelerating the Future - makes it clear that is our direction. No one can predict or would disclose what they intend to put in the vehicle. Yet, technology and innovation are consistent with our direction for Infiniti.

What's your take on European luxury car makers offering free scheduled maintenance? What are the chances of a Japanese maker like Infiniti offering a comparable incentive?

All of us keep an eye on the competition and what works. Infiniti, for example, has the best service loan car program in the industry. Others have tried free maintenance. That is not a new approach. It has been tried before but it never seems to take hold. Of course we will look at it again, but the key is not the program, it is delivering to the customer real value and convenience.

-Noel Saw

[url=Infinitihelp.com[/url]
confusious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #59
Jason B
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jason B

Read my post from here: http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin...&f=14&t=000631

I love my Q.

I came from a '95 S class. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty on the car that saved me from shelling out over $9k in repairs over 5 years!

Cars I looked at before making my decision:

2002 Mercedes S430: I was very disappointed. The interior felt cheap compared to my last gen. S class. There was too much plastic, less wood, cheap looking cupholders, cheap felling storage bins below front seats that stick out and hit your legs, etc. The car drove nice, but there no excitement. It starts at $73k, doesn't have Hid's, doesn't have a CD changer, and honestly was bare boned. Everything is optional, of course. If you do get the optional CD changer, it goes in the TRUNK! Overall, the quality definitely is lacking on the new one. You may also find this interesting on the new S class:
MB quality gone downhill - http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm

Another thing that made my decision even clearer was this site: www.mercedesproblems.com - If you go there and select S430, you can read customer complaints on the car. The same ones keep coming up - Navigation system turning off, on-screen display not working, electronics turning off, groan from wheels when turning, just to name a few. Then if you select S500, (same car, just different engine basically) you keep hearing the same problems repeated. It's just not a reliable car.

2002 LS430: Used to have a 94 LS400. Great car, no problems. I wanted something unique this time around and it surely is.

Audi A8 - Nice car, but a little too conservative/outdated for me. I hear the new one will be out in another year.

2002 Jaguar S type: Nice, but too small. I'm still a little weary of their reliability, even though they have improved. It looked like they shoved a Ford radio in the dash.

BMW 7 - same feeling as the A8. Again, new one will be out in about a month.

I can't say how much I love this car.

2002 Q45 with tint - more mods to come: http://get.to/q45
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #60
1qtrmilekid
Banned

Question hard to say

I like the way the lexus looks, better, the infiniti looks too much like an early model of the lexus gs300, any one who denys that, know's the truth in thier hearts. The lexus does resemble a benz, niether are too unique, but I'd still say the lexus until I test drove it myself. I test drove the IS sport design, lexus just dropped the new model not too long ago, and I loved it.

Boingo82 deleted SPAM content...

Last edited by boingo82; 04-09-2003 at 01:37 AM.
1qtrmilekid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Road & Track