Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
msallie89
AF Newbie

MB 300D should I buy?

I have the option to buy a 1982 MB 300D with 144,000 miles from a Goodwill (Donated Car) for $3500. The exterior is in great shape all orig glass, great silver paint and only 3 tennis ball size rust spots in 3 different corners of the lower body. The interior looks like it's in perfect condition and even has the ancient carphone still attached. I don't know anything about MB's and was wondering if the price was a good one or not. They would probably let me start the car, but not drive it off the lot. If you do think the price is high, what would be better? Thanks!
msallie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
CHECK9
AF Newbie

Re: MB 300D should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msallie89
I have the option to buy a 1982 MB 300D with 144,000 miles from a Goodwill (Donated Car) for $3500. The exterior is in great shape all orig glass, great silver paint and only 3 tennis ball size rust spots in 3 different corners of the lower body. The interior looks like it's in perfect condition and even has the ancient carphone still attached. I don't know anything about MB's and was wondering if the price was a good one or not. They would probably let me start the car, but not drive it off the lot. If you do think the price is high, what would be better? Thanks!
That engine will last forever, if it is well maintenances.
CHECK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
w123_w126
AF Newbie

She needs to be checked out...

Hi, although I’m new to the forum, I’m not new to MBs…

The price is a little high if US dollars. Does it have books/records? If you can’t take it off the lot to have it checked by a mechanic, then I’d pass. Otherwise I can highly recommend the car. Good Luck.
w123_w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
Lasse Jaakola
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Mbz 300 D

I recommnend the MBZ 300 D. I am a Diesel fanatic and I've always had Diesel Benzes. My present car is a 300 D 2.5 Turbo. My only complaint is the Becker Radio ( Grand PRiz 754). The car has great punch when the Turbo kicks even thought its a diesel automatic. Looks great. A real eye catcher. Go for it.
Lasse Jaakola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Cessnadriver
AF Newbie

A little steep........

$3500 seems more than a little high to me.
Go to E-Bay and check out what you can get a rust free car for.
I've got an '83 300D without any rust at all, and a good interior. Paid $2000 for it 4 years ago.
Keep the oil filter, and the fuel filters changed (especially) and adjust the valves (this is critical to good winter starting and overall satisfaction) and it'll outlast your desire to drive it.
Also you might want to check out http://www.mercedesmailing list.com.
Click on the archives section. It has an excellent search feature.
Enjoy
Cessnadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #6
podunk
AF Regular

i if he wont let u check it out thoroughly on a 20 min drive RUN FROM IT

if it has no leaks while running or dead under the hood and car bottom front to rear !! and has great tires, brakes with good pedal feel, and tight front end feel with good shock feel and working lights and ac and cruise control then yes that would be all the car is worth 3,500 maby !!
But if any or some of the above mentioned is broke then u should be able to knock a 1,000 or 15,000 off of that price.

These are the best cars that were ever made and they are cheaper to maintain than most any car.
podunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
cavalieronyc
AF Newbie

Smile Re: MB 300D should I buy?

I have 1985 300D with only 139538 miles owned it since 1995 car is bulletproof had no letdowns. the only problem of these cars are body Rust. its 3380 lbs of tank and you need to take care of body . Only common recalls are what i and everyone else has, RPM sensor will stop working, vacuum leaks shutting off engine, door fuel trunk locks,OEM Behr radiator will deposit rust fails after 100,000 miles. got estimate to sell mine for $12000 but will never sell.........
cavalieronyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
carrera911bt
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to carrera911bt Send a message via AIM to carrera911bt Send a message via Yahoo to carrera911bt

problem #1 goodwill is too high in prices has been.
If you can not have the car inspected you are facing possible hidden problems.
The car might start great cold but might not at all when hot.
There are many components can be bad and costly.
The set price is too high for that age of vehicle check blackbook.
I recommend a mercedes-benz certified tech
carrera911bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
DebSol
AF Newbie

Can you test drive the car? Additional things that tend to not work are cruise control and AC. Rust seems like a major issue. I had to put down my 82 because the seat belt anchor rusted out of the floor. Any rust and $3500 is too much IMO.
DebSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
carrera911bt
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to carrera911bt Send a message via AIM to carrera911bt Send a message via Yahoo to carrera911bt

This model earned it's reputation. Good reliable automobiles are dying out. newer is not always better.I've been a Mercedes-Benz tech for 26 years.
I personally rebuild ,and restore these at my hobbyshop when there is a need.
Living in florida corrosion / rust is a minimal issue. I see these with bad engine
transmission a lot on my favorite junkyard.
Personally I would invest in a nice chassis and a rebuild engine/drive-train to build a car that will run another 20-25 years instead throwing money in to a new moneypit that will never be a real automobile.
carrera911bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
tomibraniste
AF Newbie

is too expensive , give him 3000$
tomibraniste is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion