Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #46
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/12 Testors Lamborghini Countach

Looking awesome!!!! I have a 1/24th version of this, so your build is very inspiring (and very scary!)
Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #47
Martin S
AF Regular

Nice !
I like the engine details like the carb linkage !

These big scale models nees a lot of details compared to a 1:24 kit to not look "naked"

Must post up some wip pics of my 1:16 5000quattrovalvole some day.

Finished:
1940 Ford pickup and Lotus Super Twelve

Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #48
taliesen
AF Regular

Actually, the carb linkage is all standard in the kit - the only thing I did 'special' to it was to drill out the holes in the central arm part, where they had molded in depressions. Great detail built right into this one - a very good platform for adding a few minor tweaks (which is all I'm up to trying at this point in my 'career').

Thanks for the comments!

Current projects:
1/12 Testors Lamborghini - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=930745

Completed projects:
1/12 Porsche 934 Turbo RSR - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=933988

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
taliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #49
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Nice progress Jonathan! I remember this kit seemed like it had 10,000 pieces at this point in my build. You're doing a great job.

I remember being impressed with how accurate and well designed this model was too though I would design a more robust door hinge if I do another. I don't recall any major fit issues other than tweaking the body panels here and there. Most of my problems originated from spraying the panels at different times and ending up with subtle differences in shades. Lesson learned...

If you enjoy 1/12 there are several others in the Otaki/Doyusha series with equally impressive detail. (Lancia Stratos, Mercedes 450SL, BMW 3.5CSL, etc with 3-400 pieces)

Last edited by CrateCruncher; 01-25-2009 at 05:50 PM.
CrateCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #50
taliesen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher
If you enjoy 1/12 there are several others in the Doyusha series with equally impressive detail. (Lancia Stratos, Mercedes 450SL, BMW, etc with 3-400 pieces)
Thanks! But don't tempt me . . . . I've got enough in the stash that I can't really justify adding any more 1/12, but maybe I'll keep my eyes open just in case

Current projects:
1/12 Testors Lamborghini - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=930745

Completed projects:
1/12 Porsche 934 Turbo RSR - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=933988

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #51
brando590
AF Newbie

Is that your storage room or a hobby shop?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #52
taliesen
AF Regular

One last update for the weekend - in addition to this, got the rear suspension installed, but need to do some touchups before it is photogenic . . .

Modifed the kit seatbelt mounts - they included the shoulder mounts, but no belts and no other hardware. The belt material I have is wider than the stock openings, plus the stock ones don't look very impressive - so I used the center part for the mounting pin, removed the stock belt guide, and cut a small slit in each with a P/E saw to mount the P/E bracket. Kit part is on the left, modded one on the right:

The other end is also a P/E piece, mounted to a square of 1mm thicker styrene - the styrene and the recess on the P/E part were then painted semi-gloss black. Here's the installed assembly - interior is now done.

Thanks for looking!

Current projects:

Completed projects:

Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #53
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Great progress, keep it comin.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #54
brando590
AF Newbie

Request permission to shamelessly steal your idea to cut out the rear waste gate plastic and replace it with mesh for your lambos little cousins?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #55
taliesen
AF Regular

I'm sure I stole it from someone else, so go right ahead! I'm in the process of replacing the vents on the sides of the engine cover as well - I've got one side done, but probably won't get to the second til later in the weekend. Here's a comparison of the original solid part and the one side that is done. I'm thinking this is a single part on the 1/24 versions, so it might be a bit more difficult to pull off in that scale.

I'm also trying something a little crazy (but not permanent yet) - while making a mold to cast a copy of another part, I decided to try and make a mold of the "designed by Bertone" badges on the sides. If it turns out, I'll do them in Alclad chrome and sand off the originals to get a nice separation in the parts, and allow me to get a smoother finish on the sides of the body when sanding. We'll see . . . .

Next step is to cut into the body and resize the wheel wells - I've already drawn out the lines using the fender flares as a guide . . . . but I'm nervous to take the plunge

Current projects:

Completed projects:

Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #56
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Molding those Bertone B's is a cool idea. Since you're well into body mods you might take a look at those doors. For some reason Otaki put thick reinforcement ribs on the inside area of the side windows thats not present on the real car (kit molding problem?). Whatever the reason for it, I was able to remove that junk without the door losing it's shape. Then the delicate outer window surround fits perfect right off the sprue and defines the three pieces of glass on the door.

Here's my LP400 with the window ribs removed.
CrateCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #57
brando590
AF Newbie

I went on ebays parts and accessories for Countach. There are good pics of individual parts for reference. Just an idea. Also, it's pretty amazing how much some of that stuff costs(300 bucks for 1 headlight lens...etc.)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #58
Martsmodels
AF Regular

Great job so far Jonathan - we're all enjoying this one.

There is a very good write up on this same kit just been published on
Modelersite (www.modelersite.com) - I'm sure you'll find it interesting if you haven't seen it already.
Martsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #59
taliesen
AF Regular

I saw that write up, pictures look nice, but I didn't want to spring for the text. (EDIT - I was clicking the wrong link, article isn't a pay-per-view yet - good stuff, but I won't be taking advantage of a lot of it because I'm past the point of no return on some . . . ).

Crate - great idea on the door mod, I will definitely be looking at that one - timely advice, too, as I was hoping to get primer and paint started tomorrow. May be a slight delay now, but looks like it is worth it!

The Bertone plate idea seems to be working out - I'll know better once I get the paint on it . . . some in process pics follow.

Closeup of one of the molds - more than anything, this points out my need for a good macro lens . . . . need to convince the wife to let me spend 400 on it first

The sharper eyed among you may notice this is a different shape than the pic in the last post - I actually did two molds so I could cast 'em both at once (and did that by casting off of two bodies - however, unlike Alex I will not be springing a surprise dual build on you. I'm saving the second one for a true LP500S conversion down the road when my scratch skills are better!)

Sorry for the lighting on this one, but my flash was washing out the picture of the finished one (need a new flash, too . . . ), so this is by indirect florescent bulbs instead. The resin is actually pure white. The other part I was casting (my first attempt) needed a second take, so I made an extra set of these as well with the extra resin. If this works, they'll go into storage for the next build.

Current projects:

Completed projects:

Last edited by taliesen; 02-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #60
brando590
AF Newbie

Those emblems are going to look great. So I see you've figured out the fuel rail problem and it's a good thing. Here is what I finally received in the mail today. As you can see it has taken quite a beating and most of the part you needed is gone. Sorry bud. I tried.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street